Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 10:52   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Why don't you race - honest?

#1, with a shade of #2 (the yelling, obnoxious part).

"Why don't you race?” … My question to you (which might actually help you in your research) is: Why do people race?

I don’t understand the attraction, but maybe if you come at it from that end it might help improve your numbers.
Old 20-12-2016, 11:04   #17
SFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
… My question to you (which might actually help you in your research) is: Why do people race?

I don’t understand the attraction, but maybe you come at it from that end it might help improve your numbers.
This. I've done my share of racing vehicles other than boats. To me, racing is going fast. Sailboats are not fast. Coupled with the cost of a mishap, I just don't see the attraction. The yelling is a distant third-place turnoff.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:07   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Because you only get a Little Cup and bragging rights for a week or two if you win!

I'm slow though because it took me about 15 years and $25,000 for four different boats (beach cats) plus new sails, blocks, spinnakers, spinnaker tape, lube, trailer parts, blocks, new tramps, cam cleats, running rigging, replacement carbon fiber masts (not cheap) and at least one marriage and three or four girlfriends before I realized this
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:14   #19

Boat: Cornado 25

My idea of "racing" was proven out by two of my buddies who left the old Pan-Canal Yacht Club in Colon headed for Isla Mujeres. Both solo sailors on less than 30' boats. First one to Isla Mujeres has to buy the beer.

John screwed up and arrived first... Roland is from Germany and can drink a lot of beer. But then Roland cheated and didn't bother to stop till he hit the Bahamas.
John got even by drinking all his beer.

Now that's my kind o' racin'
Old 20-12-2016, 11:36   #20

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'

I enjoy racing but find crew and hours difficult. My annual race is generally from Bitter End Yacht Club to Anegada and I take it very seriously, especially when racing Canadian friends.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:40   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Every time a cruiser meets up with another boat, it's a race from then on.

But far as organized racing goes:
1- because I'm not interested
2 - I already spend enough time trying to either not hit them or making sure they don't hit me
3 - When I was homeported I had a limited time to sail on the weekends and didn't need so race schedule to mess it up
Old 20-12-2016, 11:44   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Other than reasons 1, 3, 6, and 9...

... I manage people during the work week. I have zero interest in managing or being managed on my time.

I could race singlehanded designs, but I also dislike having to concentrate for long periods. I think that is what I disliked about golf; I lost interest in focusing on every shot after about 5 holes. If you are not going to focus continuously, you aren't racing.

I also hate waiting around. I just hate it.

The competition per se never bothered me, it's all the baggage that goes with it.

I do like sailing fast.
Old 20-12-2016, 11:45   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've been a collegiate dinghy racer as well as a beach cat racer. I've just started " racing" our cruising boat. There is a free fun series in Galveston bay TX called the icicle series.
It's a series for non-racer, handicaps are loosely assigned and courses are fixed. For more information google gbca icicle series.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
my main issue with racing is with my perception of racers as a bunch of rude, aggressive, type A jerks that I go sailing to avoid, not to be amongst.
To be fair, my experience is limited to three seasons of crewing at just one yacht club with just one group of people. But, yeah, that was my perception, too.

It is possible that they may have been the only bunch of jerks ever involved in racing, and that I am sorely misjudging the entire racing community; if so, I apologize. But that experience was enough to put me off racers and racing pretty much for good.

To the OP - Without knowing anything about your particular circumstances, I think 2, 6, and 7 can be major problems. If your racing group is seen as a bunch of "insiders", no one new will want to be a part of it.

But good luck. I also have the perception that with the right group and the right attitude, it can be a great experience.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:54   #25

Boat: G-Cat 5 | Hobie 21 SE | S2 9.1

Mostly, the constant crew search gets old. We need 4 or 5 people who know what they're doing - we have an older, technical boat (S2 9.1) with none of those new fangled conveniences (like roller furling )

We also live in an area where all racing takes place in a river. And our PHRF rating is for the ocean. So we take a beating there. Which the competitive skipper finds hard.
JibGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:55   #26

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

You sparked my reason. We're just getting back into,sailing, my ocean boat is a cruiser, we have a smaller 25 for weekending on the lake at home. But I missed the competition.

It was either a San Juan 21, or a Santana 20 for me as thats the biggest fleet on the lake. ,I opted for the Santana 20, got it cheap, with a great sail package, and I want the steep learning curve again.

I love the action on the line and a crowded tacking duel, great sport. Never worked so hard to go 8/10 knots.

My race mentor was a crazy red headed gal, she's racing a Santana 20, now, so I bought this 20 from them so I could race with she and her husband, who are great people.

Fleet building I guess.

Great question.

DW
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
#1, with a shade of #2 (the yelling, obnoxious part).

"Why don't you race?” … My question to you (which might actually help you in your research) is: Why do people race?

I don’t understand the attraction, but maybe if you come at it from that end it might help improve your numbers.
Maybe it was rhetorical question? I like cruising too, but I enjoy racing because:
  • I didn't realize how much I didn't know about sail trim and optimizing boat performance until I started racing. That is not to say it's the only way to learn, but I daysailed & cruised for almost 10 years before I started racing, and I was very surprised at how thin my boat performance skills were. Before racing I learned some very valuable skills, but missed others.
  • 20 years ago when I started racing, I loved competing at anything and everything, though that attraction has faded considerably - it wouldn't be an attraction to me today.
  • The camaraderie, and the crew teamwork aspect is great fun when everything is working well. And it can be great when the chips are down too.
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:12   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

For me sailing had always been a sanctuary. An escape from the competition and stress of my professional life. Although I am now retired and no longer compete on the treadmill of the business world, I still find sailing more enjoyable as a means to relaxation. It's kind of a Zen thing.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:32   #29

Boat: Liberty 458

I don't race sailboats for the same reason I don't race cars. (Spent decades in professional motorsport as a test driver/ engineer / mechanic)

I was quite happy driving other peoples cars and happy for them to fund it too.

We are cruisers and liveaboards so comfort and ergonomics are more important and incompatible with racing goodness.

I also don't wish to associate with racers. Too much testosterone, ignorance of science and general bs. No offence intended.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:34   #30

Boat: between boats

This one:

> 2. Racers yell at novices

I had that happen to me, and it wasn't even during a race. Was relatively new to sailing and had joined as crew on a club boat for a day sail. Ready about, and the jibsheet slipped an inch or two when I took it out of the self tailer. Got yelled at by the skipper. i thought "what a pr*ck". Whole day was like that. I've seen the same attitude with other racers. Not all are like that, and I've enjoyed learning from some.

I'm sure racing is a great way to really learn sail trim, but I'll just pick it up more slowly and avoid hyper-competitive people.

Also, the traffic here is pretty bad and I can't make it to the Wed night or Fri night races without taking off from work by 2pm.

- joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race