Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 20:12   #121

Re: Americas Cup 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCalm View Post
New to forum but I am not familiar with the term 'slow capsize' that you mentioned in post. Is this a typo or something new to understand?
Walt
Made up term, it happens slowly and it's not really a capsize as their back upright and sailing within 5 minutes. If there is a proper term, I don't know it.

https://youtu.be/oUJPWe61nGc
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 23:09   #122

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Re: Racers knows nothing useful about sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Good try.

After a guy gets his fill of racing, he can make an excellent cruiser.

You seem a bit upset toward the race scene........for most it's just a phase. That is as long as another cruising sailor doesn't get close to an old racer on the water on his boat

If so, IT"S ON!

Not upset at all, I'm trying to truthfully answer the OP's question.
Note that I did match racing myself and enjoyed it.

But you prove my point for me:

So while your cruising racer "get's it on" he is likely to forget:

- Safety of his inexperienced crew, requiring spinnaker or other fore deck work.
- Structural integrity of his yacht, pushing it harder than reasonable
- Well being of his crew, as he sails the boats "on the ear"
- Maintaining a pleasant atmosphere, resorting to aggression internally and externally.
- Cruising is more enjoyable if your family doesn't hate it

Does your wife hate sailing?
Can you truthfully say that you never fell into the above traps and that your boat have kind motions and reasonable cruising comfort?
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 23:27   #123

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Why don't you race - honest?

One of the things that racing teaches you is how hard you can safely push your boat, and when you are getting near the edge. These lessons in seamanship will help you cruise.

My wife enjoys sailing, but I learned long ago that it is not a good idea to bring wives as race crew. If they want to race, have them race with someone else.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 03:39   #124

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Racers knows nothing useful about sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Viking View Post
Not upset at all, I'm trying to truthfully answer the OP's question.
Note that I did match racing myself and enjoyed it.

But you prove my point for me:

So while your cruising racer "get's it on" he is likely to forget:

- Safety of his inexperienced crew, requiring spinnaker or other fore deck work.
- Structural integrity of his yacht, pushing it harder than reasonable
- Well being of his crew, as he sails the boats "on the ear"
- Maintaining a pleasant atmosphere, resorting to aggression internally and externally.
- Cruising is more enjoyable if your family doesn't hate it

Does your wife hate sailing?
Can you truthfully say that you never fell into the above traps and that your boat have kind motions and reasonable cruising comfort?
Many times I am joking a bit or overemphasizing in my posts.

When I said "it's on" when cruisers get somewhat close on the water, I meant the old racer and possibly the guy on the other boat will start paying a bit more attention to the wind, check his telltales and sail trim, maybe come off autopilot and start steering for speed

That's about it. No big changes

I sail single handed. The wife (exwife) and sometimes my son will visit when I sail across to their side of the bay to walk the trails and allow the dog to retrieve balls etc from the salt water. He loves it!

The exwife had enough of being on the water with me when she was in her teens off the North Carolina Coast on small power boats. That and after a few flips and pitchpoles on beach cats, she'd had enough

Btw, my boat seems to be on it's ear a lot. It's only 8' wide and I rarely reef unless it's over 20 knots or so and I'm trying to sail upwind. Plus, my "cruises" are relatively short 20-75 miles. (weekend warrior - vacationer) I will ease off the main and change direction a bit though if I'm trying to read, etc

As long as I can find a decent anchorage before dark I can deal with it. I have rarely sailed over night unless I was racing and even then we'd usually be in by 3am or so (during 100 mile beach cat distance races where the wind didn't cooperate)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 07:05   #125

Both forums have pretty much run out of steam, so here's a final recap. I apologize for how busy it is, but I wanted to fit a lot on one page.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Why Don’t You Sail Race.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	138398  
Old 23-12-2016, 07:43   #126

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Interesting that both the "Racers" and "Cruisers" reasons overlap significantly.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 07:55   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Interesting that both the "Racers" and "Cruisers" reasons overlap significantly.
Yes it is. On the sail race forum, instead of just asking outright, I asked everyone to think back to before they started racing, and remember what was holding them back. Who knows if that helped or not. I know I can still remember my reasons for staying away years ago.
Old 23-12-2016, 08:19   #128

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

For me, I never gave those reasons much thought...it was another opportunity to sail and learn...so I took it.

Never had an Ahole skipper. In my experience the boats with a lot of yelling going on were usually not in the top of the fleet...and the last place we heard them was at the start. Its a pleasure to sail with a very competent race crew...almost silent aboard...except for the noise of running rigging and sails during a maneuver...hardly a word needs to be spoken.

I raced on a regular basis over a number of years with the same very competent captain and crew. Never any yelling aboard because everyone knew exactly what to do. We regularly finished in the top of the fleet. I never heard yelling from our top competitors either.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 08:21   #129

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
On the sail race forum, instead of just asking outright, I asked everyone to think back to before they started racing, and remember what was holding them back. Who knows if that helped or not. I know I can still remember my reasons for staying away years ago.
Interesting.

I bought a sailboat then went directly into racing (as Skipper) after sailing it a couple times.........

This in the early 90's
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 08:30   #130

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

This video always makes me laugh, it's the foredeck view of the world.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pAXZfDBcUmdT4A
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 12:09   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pAXZfDBcUmdT4A
Yeah, if that doesn't put you off racing...jeeeeeeez. Imagine if that was your first (and last) experience on a race boat!
Old 23-12-2016, 12:45   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Bin there, done that, got the teeshirt!
And I still race regularly.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 13:36   #133

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
Yeah, if that doesn't put you off racing...jeeeeeeez. Imagine if that was your first (and last) experience on a race boat!

Just remember the title of the video " if I'm yelling at you it's just for clarity"

I've been that guy.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 14:06   #134

When I first started sailing keel boats, I raced on my uncles and then fathers cruising yachts in a club for the same manufacturer. There were race fleets of 30+ yachts at times made up of only 3 different model yachts. It was social and fun, both on the water and in the marina after.

I have not raced my boat as it has been in Greece for cruising, but soon she will be home in Melbourne early next year and I will start racing for a bit of fun and to be social around the club I just joined.

You can take racing a seriously as you want. If you don't want to stress your boat or take risks with safety that are beyond your comfort zone, you don't have to. If you don't want to risk collisions at the start line or course buoys you can sail those conservatively.

For cruising type yachts and novice crews, pursuit races with white sails only is a fun way to race. You have the start line pretty much to yourself and it is fun trying to hunt down the supposedly slower yachts in front of you.
Old 23-12-2016, 15:38   #135

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Our club has encountered the same issue, very few racers anymore, We still race all our club races on a 45 year old boat and our crew average age is 70 years old and we still fly a spinnaker. Our philosophy is to go out and have a great day of sailing where nobody yells at anyone and if something breaks we accept that as part of racing. By the way, we have won club championship a lot of years and many in the last few years. We race for camaraderie and fun.
We keep trying to get some competition, but hard to do these days, disappointing.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race