Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 17:02   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
When you look and see whats for sail on the internet It just appears that there are loads of boats/yachts for sale. I hope its a sport that growing in popularity or is everyone jumping ship... lol
There are lots and lots of used boats for sale. Bad global economy has put a lot of boats on the market.

The high end, newer, better condition boats usually holding their value pretty well but if you look long and hard you might find a great boat at a great deal.

More likely you will find a good deal on an older, neglected production boat (like a Beneteau or Morgan or similar).

How are your DIY skills?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:05   #17

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But boats still cheaper than a Delorean. and probably cheaper to maintain (there has to be something that is!).

Anyway, welcome to CF. In 2013 .
But a Delorean can be made into a time machine.

A used boat is a bargain. Look how much waterfront property costs.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:06   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

New boats ARE expensive. Mostly, as others have pointed out, due to the marine grade materials and the low volume manufacture. But here's the real dealbreaker for me: new boats depreciate. Their value drops like a rock. Want to sell it a year from now? Yow, that's gonna hurt.

A used boat is a better value IF you find the right boat. You might kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess. But they hold their value well, beyond a certain age. I bought my current boat for $2000, I have lived aboard for the last couple years, and I have actually been offered more than I paid and what I have put into the boat, and I am not even trying to sell.

I would look for something say 32' or smaller for a first boat, but something at least big enough to overnight on. Tbodine's suggestion of a West Wight Potter 19 is a good one. An old 70's era Catalina or Cal would do. You should be able to find something for under $10k for sure, that would meet your immediate need of a boat to learn on. Why buy a learner boat? Why not just go ahead and buy a real ocean crossing bluewater boat? Simple. Buy small and cheap now. Live aboard, and give up the house or apartment. The money you will save can be saved for your serious cruising boat 10 or 20 years down the line. And you can start sailing and learning NOW, instead of later. And you won't lose much when you sell your oldie but goodie.

You might check your local marinas and yacht clubs. Often there are classes, and generally there are races, where unskilled crew is used to hold the windward rail down. It is easy to get a spot on larger racing boats as "rail meat", and you will learn a lot just observing, and scrambling across to the other side when tacking. If you have a good attitude folks will be happy to teach you stuff. Once you know a little bit about sail handling, standing a watch, etc, you might find unpaid crew spots on cruising boats actually going somewhere. Often though you are expected to contribute something for groceries and fuel, but it is worth it for the learning experience. You will learn not just how to navigate and handle a boat, but also a lot about boats, what to look for, how to pick one out and buy it. Ooooh, that one looks pretty... I'll buy it! Nope. FAIL. OOOOh, that one is really cheap! What a deal! Nope... unless you know what you are getting into. Sometimes the cheapest is the cheapest. Sometimes it is far from it. Maybe there is an ugly reason why it is so cheap.

Basically, get your hand in now, one way or the other. It will help motivate you to save, and you will already know what you're about when you sign the check and take posession of your dream.
Old 07-02-2013, 17:14   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

There are a lot of cheap boats. It all depends on what you want. In my club there are often abandoned boats. Gladly given away. Hulls are usually good, probably need a bit of work but if you want a cheap boat look around. If you want a new or fairly new boat be prepared to pay.
Old 07-02-2013, 17:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
There are lots and lots of used boats for sale. Bad global economy has put a lot of boats on the market.

The high end, newer, better condition boats usually holding their value pretty well but if you look long and hard you might find a great boat at a great deal.

More likely you will find a good deal on an older, neglected production boat (like a Beneteau or Morgan or similar).

How are your DIY skills?
DIY pretty good, i'm quite handy that way..
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:21   #21

I realise engines record hours and not miles, what would be regarded as medium or high hours for yacht engines ??? And would this significantly have a bearing on the cost of the boat ??
Old 07-02-2013, 17:21   #22

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hurricane Sandy damaged tens of thousands of boats; many were uninsured. The owners are trying to salvage what they can. The market is flooded with these damaged boats. Unfortunately, it is not cheap to "refurbish" a boat. That's the dilemma. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:39   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

Quote:
When you look and see whats for sail on the internet It just appears that there are loads of boats/yachts for sale. I hope its a sport that growing in popularity or is everyone jumping ship... lol
Nope... just a fallout sign of the 'Good Old Days'.. the disposable culture... folk who had three boats... because they could.. now they can't
That groups alot smaller these days and the East Coast is still a good deal for Europeans looking to circumnavigate in a used 35ft boat for a simlar price to a 27-30ftr over here.. and the electronics are so much cheaper... like the Levi's..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:25   #24

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
I realise engines record hours and not miles, what would be regarded as medium or high hours for yacht engines ??? And would this significantly have a bearing on the cost of the boat ??
Depends on the engine and the installation. Generally speaking a well maintained diesel in a sailboat can/should last 8000-10000 hours. If you are not mechanically inclined, I would suggest having an engine survey done to determine overall condition. Many sailboat engines are neglected because they can be difficult to access in tight spaces. Oil changes are often postponed until the end of a voyage.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:58   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
This year I will be looking to buy my first boat having been introduced to sailing by our friends. But on doing a lot of looking and comparing different makes is it just me but do you not think yachts of all shapes and sizes are expensive for what you get for your money.
Expensive? Why?

Nobody needs a yacht.
Old 07-02-2013, 19:00   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Other than Beneteau and Hunter there aren't many sailboat companies that make even 100 boats a year.
Bingo! Which is why those brands are reviled by the boat snobs, many of whom haunt this forum.

Nothing worse than an affordable yacht.
Old 07-02-2013, 19:30   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The good news is you can buy a used boat for less than what it cost the manufacturer to produce.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:34   #28

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
This year I will be looking to buy my first boat having been introduced to sailing by our friends. But on doing a lot of looking and comparing different makes is it just me but do you not think yachts of all shapes and sizes are expensive for what you get for your money.
If you ever tried to build one, or even totally restore an old one you'll find that the cost of materials and parts will be more then a used boat of the same size in fairly good condition.

My labor hours alone in restoration would have bought me a boat ready to sail off. But I did it as a hobby project for my later years of retirement. No two boats are alike. Even production boats have differences. And as time goes by the differences increase by upgrades, or not.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:16   #29

I think what I will probably do is buy something between five and ten years old. Like most new to sailing I want to sail as much as I can without having to restore the boat first.
I am thinking along the lines of Jeanneau, beneteau or hanse. Then I saw a dufour harmony then a harmony and a hunter, oh its so confusing Lol :-0
Old 08-02-2013, 02:44   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

I would have a serious look at pretty much anything that fits your budget that was built around 5 years old. As a very rough guide, first refit for a boat comes up around the 7 year mark and quite often that refit gets sold to a new owner! (it actually makes financial sense to sell if you are not keeping the boat for another 5 years or so - there is a reason why older is cheaper!).

Dropping down a few years in age will mean also dropping down a few feet in size, but IMO as you are starting out (and basically want to go sailing rather than boat fixing / fiddling around!) that a worthwhile compromise.

If you stick to the mainstream brands (sold in the UK - even if they are French etc!) will likely have no great problems selling in a few years time once you have decided (from own experiance) what you actually want in your boat. or simply decide that getting cold, wet, tired and occassionally scared not as much fun as it is cracked up to be!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote