Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 21:21   #106

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
There are several different types of TO DO LISTS
there is need to do, should do and what you would like to do.
My to do list is really long, but almost all of it is things I want to do, the should do list is pretty short and the need to do list is almost non-existent.

When got the boat is was in great shape so most of the suff on my to do list was because I wanted to do it.
Don't know about you all but my want to do list is piggy backed on my should do list, in up grades. I can't see doing otherwise w/o being a procrastinator, or flat broke.
Old 11-02-2013, 21:35   #107

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

An alternative to long voyages/circumnavigation with your own boat, is to fly to a destination then charter locally for the duration of your vacation. This way, you can concentrate on exploring and enjoying the islands. Save yourself the time and cost incurred during days on end just sailing blue water. Unless you intend on sailing almost every week of the year or live-aboard, it is wiser to fly/sail your precious vacation days and not own a boat. We all know that love is blind, though! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:43   #108

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Don't get me wrong folks, I can afford a new yacht but I like secondhand better. Suppose its like driving a new car out the showroom, as soon as the wheels hit the road, bang !!! that's 5 grand wiped of the value...

Good reason most new vessels are expensive to purchase is the cost of production and in Australia many manufactures have gone offshore except for the small volume luxury market.

The big manufacturers are nowdays building boats in low wage countries or using very high tech labour saving methods and often both.

Don't know how many man hours to build a 40-50 monohull without a mold but can look at catamarans. Many of the 40 to 45 ft kit cats are quoted at 10,000/12,000 man hours for a basic fitout with many taking 15,000 man hours. A business charging out tradesmen at conservatively $40/hr in Australia would be looking at $400,000 for labour alone. Thats the reason there are quite a lot of home builders building cats in Australia. Its the only way they can afford a Catamaran.

Bring On Another Thousand (BOAT) is the way it is.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:23   #109
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Don't know about you all but my want to do list is piggy backed on my should do list, in up grades. I can't see doing otherwise w/o being a procrastinator, or flat broke.
My galley was functional, but poorly thought out, so until I ripped the old one out a new galley was a want to do after I ripped the old one out it was a need to do, same thing applied to just about everything else I did to/for the boat. Due to a car accident I was in I have ADD (attention deficit disorder) so I have alot of projects going at once, if I get bored with one I switch to another, I recently finished the coaming for my deck hatch and turned around to work on something else....most of my stuff was done...last year I replaced the standing rigging,made a new tiller, boat hook, whisker pole, winch mounts, compass mount/movable bridge deck, midship hatch, companionway steps, 28"x20"x3" birch and apitung cutting block, teak and cherry coffee table, moved watertanks (out 10" ea. and up) increasing the width of the main cabin from 24" to 34" and giving extra storage on on side)...I still have stuff to do that is partially done. What I am getting at it doesn't take much to turn a want to do into a need to do
Old 12-02-2013, 10:57   #110
Eternal Member

If you are only going to use a boat occasionally (unless you like the ego trip of saying you own a yacht) the most cost effective way to sail is to charter, you can sail boats that you could never think of affording otherwise. If you can afford a 6 figure yacht...take a look at the used market for 6 figure boats, they will blow the new yachts out of the water.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Good reason most new vessels are expensive to purchase is the cost of production and in Australia many manufactures have gone offshore except for the small volume luxury market.

The big manufacturers are nowdays building boats in low wage countries or using very high tech labour saving methods and often both.

Don't know how many man hours to build a 40-50 monohull without a mold but can look at catamarans. Many of the 40 to 45 ft kit cats are quoted at 10,000/12,000 man hours for a basic fitout with many taking 15,000 man hours. A business charging out tradesmen at conservatively $40/hr in Australia would be looking at $400,000 for labour alone. Thats the reason there are quite a lot of home builders building cats in Australia. Its the only way they can afford a Catamaran.

Cheers
I really appreciate all the input by yourself and others. I am learning something new everyday.. Cheers Bud..
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Cheers
I really appreciate all the input by yourself and others. I am learning something new everyday.. Cheers Bud..
Old 12-02-2013, 11:11   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Out loud, yes, thinking, maybe not so much. Demonstrating a poor grasp of what it costs to build a yacht... definitely!

Jim
Thanks Jim, Poor grasp !!!! thats why Im asking, I'm learning something new everyday. Enlightenment is a wonderful thing.

Hey Ho !! I appreciate your comments. Thanks for posting..
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
My galley was functional, but poorly thought out, so until I ripped the old one out a new galley was a want to do after I ripped the old one out it was a need to do, same thing applied to just about everything else I did to/for the boat. Due to a car accident I was in I have ADD (attention deficit disorder) so I have alot of projects going at once, if I get bored with one I switch to another, I recently finished the coaming for my deck hatch and turned around to work on something else....most of my stuff was done...last year I replaced the standing rigging,made a new tiller, boat hook, whisker pole, winch mounts, compass mount/movable bridge deck, midship hatch, companionway steps, 28"x20"x3" birch and apitung cutting block, teak and cherry coffee table, moved watertanks (out 10" ea. and up) increasing the width of the main cabin from 24" to 34" and giving extra storage on on side)...I still have stuff to do that is partially done. What I am getting at it doesn't take much to turn a want to do into a need to do
Good post thanks.... :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:22   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
You are a lucky man ... so, please stop complaining and do your part to stimulate the economy.
I'm not complaining, just asking a question. It great to see others thoughts on the subject. Thanks for your post
Old 12-02-2013, 12:26   #116
Eternal Member

Forgot to mention a boom gallows made out of 2"thick siver bali w/a teak cap, big 4 1/2" fresnel lens brass stern light on one side w/ Waltzing Matilda carved in a fancy scrolling script and 7" bronze bell on the other
Old 13-02-2013, 14:09   #117
Eternal Member

As to the question"Why is it so expensive for yachts?" .... it doesn't have to be. It can actually be an incredibly inexpensive way to enjoy life. For those that have deep pockets and can afford it, yachts can be tremendously expensive. I can not afford to live on land, which is why I now live on a boat (plus it is a way of life I have wanted all my life)
Old 13-02-2013, 18:03   #118
Armchair Bucketeer

Just to throw some numbers into the pot.......

My boat (1970) was built as a "premium" product - and cost £9600 (basic). A while back I ran that number through an online comparative value calculator (various ways to do it - none 100% right).........came out at around £200/250k in todays money! (for a 30' boat!!). In 1968 me father bought a 3 bed house for approx £6k - they are now worth IRO £400k over here.

A good s/h one will now set you back £20 -£25k, a ropey one IRO £12k - mine somewhere in between!

I mention that because it kinda explains why small boats not so popular to build! - and that boat building has moved on a great deal from ye olden days (lots / most(?) boat builders went broke trying to carry on building boats the old way - with lots of labour and handbuilt (including in plastic) and low volunes simply can't compete in the market place...everyone says they want one thing - but actually buys another!).....plus that boats have got wayyy cheaper in real terms over the decades.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 05:57   #119

Boat: a sailing boat

Some more food for our CF number crunchers:

a 33' quality European boat, 30 y.o. - EUR 25k
same boat built today, new - EUR 180k
equivalent 33' paper boat, new - EUR 120k

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 09:43   #120
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Some more food for our CF number crunchers:

a 33' quality European boat, 30 y.o. - EUR 25k
same boat built today, new - EUR 180k
equivalent 33' paper boat, new - EUR 120k

Cheers,
b.
I suspect the middle figure might even be higher!, but notwithstanding that often enough the newer / more modern boat is also better!, at least overall. Different - but better. and cheaper (in real terms).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote