Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 14:39   #301

Boat: None
Re: Why people may not help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A post like this definitely says something about your own intellect, not to mention your arrogance.
Granted, I wrote the post, but even after re-reading it a couple of times, I can't see anything suggestive about my intellect. Well, I appear to be reasonably literate and a native English speaker, but that’s really all. Also, maybe I’m a bit pompous in this post, but that’s unrelated to intellect.

I’ll accept the accusation of arrogance. But consider:

Mike posted a study on wealth vs compassion. Immediately quite a few posters pounced on it.

But they offered no criticism of the methodology, no complaints about the sample, and no arguments about the mathematical analysis.

Instead, they simply decreed that the science was wrong. Either they just didn’t like it, so it was wrong; or it didn’t agree with their experiences, so it was wrong.

Their doing this is far more arrogant than my calling them out on it. Those who don’t understand why this is so are likely to be among those I was referring to.

-
Old 16-01-2017, 14:47   #302
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
It's true. I do look down on people who make no effort to understand science and instead make pronunciations about how things are or ought to be because it's how they (apparently) want things to be. Note carefully that it's the astonishing arrogance and absurd and unearned sense of superiority that I'm contemptuous of; the sense that "I don't need any science to know I'm right." I respect people otherwise regardless of their intellect (or intellectual eliteness).
I'm surprised your head hasn't exploded trying to hold in all those excess brain cells.
Old 16-01-2017, 14:54   #303
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
:

Mike posted a study on wealth vs compassion. Immediately quite a few posters pounced on it.

But they offered no criticism of the methodology, no complaints about the sample, and no arguments about the mathematical analysis.

-
Quite a few discussed the methodology in a polite manner and the conversation evolved until you decided to judge people you do not know.

Pompass is correct
Old 16-01-2017, 14:58   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Oh, you sound so wicked smart. I surprised your head hasn't exploded trying to hold in all those excess brain cells.
I'm barely average, if that. Some of the people I'm criticizing are likely to be much smarter than me. And that lowers my opinion of them even further, because they know what they're doing and still do it.
Old 16-01-2017, 15:00   #305
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Old 16-01-2017, 15:01   #306
cruiser

Quote:
I'm barely average, if that. Some of the people I'm criticizing are likely to be much smarter than me. And that lowers my opinion of them even further, because they know what they're doing and still do it.
That explains your unfettered arrogance. Thanks.
Old 16-01-2017, 15:03   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Quite a few discussed the methodology in a polite manner and the conversation evolved until you decided to judge people you do not know.

Pompass is correct
I was very careful to not say "all" precisely because some people were being rational.

-
Old 16-01-2017, 15:06   #308

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Wow this thread took a turn for the worse very quickly.
Old 16-01-2017, 15:17   #309
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Some of us Neaderthals were discussing being nice to Homo sapiens when we unexpectedly got trolled. It happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	139726  
Old 16-01-2017, 15:20   #310
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Yes...I thank Mike for his research, which interests me but I am out of here now.
Old 16-01-2017, 15:44   #311

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post

I bet Hitler donated to some charity and for sure tossed a coin and bread to the homeless now or then during the rise to and run of his campaigns, even during the war itself,
I'm calling Godwin's Law. You lose!
Old 16-01-2017, 15:58   #312

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Some have put forth the idea, and claim it's scientifically proven by "the" research, that wealthy people are less generous than poor people.
But since, by the vast majority of the worlds peoples definition of wealthy, ALL of us on this site who own a yacht, fall into the "wealthy" category, I guess that means we ALL must be completely SOL when it comes to expecting any help from our fellow yachtie. But what most of us have experienced and seen is great generosity and a widespread willingness to go out of their way to help a fellow boater whenever needed and almost all of us have participated in that ethic both on the giving AND receiving ends. So, EVEN if these "scientific studies" could somehow be proven to be 100% correct, they don't seem to apply to OUR group of WEALTHY yachties and those we have come in contact with. Seriously, read the whole thread and note how many examples of generosity and helpfulness you'll learn about. Maybe the scientific studies are valid for some other group(s), but not ours. Maybe the scientific studies didn't control for being a boat owner and on the water and if that's the case, how are they valid to a discussion about helpfulness by boat owners on the water? Maybe there's much more to it than what "the" research says?
Maybe you should stop looking at the world in terms of absolutes and start seeing the different shades of grey.

Maybe you should consider the difference between "less generous" and "totally selfish".
Old 16-01-2017, 16:06   #313

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'm calling Godwin's Law. You lose!
I wanted to say the same thing
Old 16-01-2017, 16:08   #314

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yes...I thank Mike for his research, which interests me but I am out of here now.
Sorry to see you go Pelagic, although I’m probably not far behind. I appreciate your (always) calm and rational approach to these discussions. You are one of the few that provided substantive criticism of the research. As I keep saying, there is much to criticize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Maybe you should stop looking at the world in terms of absolutes and start seeing the different shades of grey.

Maybe you should consider the difference between "less generous" and "totally selfish".
Exactly. That’s what the research shows; a tendancy, a statistically significant impact. It’s not all or nothing, black or white. The research does not say wealth makes someone totally selfish. It says it makes us less compassionate, particularly to those not part of our in-group.
Old 16-01-2017, 17:52   #315

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've no problem with it.. just don't get it when one see what happens to many after they've been used and abused..
Its like 'Have a nice day' at the checkout..
Yes, I'm with you on this. My dad fought in WW2, my grandpa in WW1. They were never thanked for their service and never received thanks nor expected it in all the years afterwards. They just did did what they did, like so many of their generation and signed up voluntariy. In contrast, it seems wrong that our current day military are thanked so profusely.

Now, this might sound like a contradiction, but I have enormous respect for the bravery and professionalism for our soldiers. I do hold them in higher esteem than others, I just don't see the need to ladle on the thanks.
Closed Thread