Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 18:13   #316

Re: Why people may not help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I think there is some psychological distancing which comes with increased wealth. And definitely there is some (much?) such distancing which comes if one is born into wealth. After all how many people who became wealthy during their lifetimes intentionally continue to reside in their old neighborhoods? Very few indeed and they are rare exceptions rather than the rule. To argue otherwise just flies in the face of the obvious.

))
I wondered about a Condo cat and leaving the anchorage and moving into the "Joneses" Marina.
Old 16-01-2017, 18:13   #317
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Yes, I'm with you on this. My dad fought in WW2, my grandpa in WW1. They were never thanked for their service and never received thanks nor expected it in all the years afterwards. They just did did what they did, like so many of their generation and signed up voluntariy. In contrast, it seems wrong that our current day military are thanked so profusely.

Now, this might sound like a contradiction, but I have enormous respect for the bravery and professionalism for our soldiers. I do hold them in higher esteem than others, I just don't see the need to ladle on the thanks.
People.thank my dad every day he was a radio operator in B 17`s in europe and B25`s in the pacific. He says it actually means a lot to him now days .( he.also says what all vets know war is a nasty business.
Old 16-01-2017, 18:25   #318

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
Your observations might sometimes be valid, but they will never be science. If you believe otherwise, then you are ignorant (though I've no ad hominem "so-and-so" to append to that).

Self-selected sample data is universally bogus. If every time you step out of a boat you sink to the bottom, it's evidence from which your buoyancy can be calculated given all the variables you bring to that step. It provides no otherwise useful data.
Rubbish. The history of "science" is ripe with "self selected sample data", for example, beginning with Archimedes, and proceeding in turn to Capernicus, Kepler, Newton, Maxwell, and Einstein all of who's theories, subsequently verified, arose from "self selected sample data"--i.e. empirical, or "what they observed", data dismissed by the "authorities" in their respective times.

Quote:
Perhaps you should never read any advanced physics. I suspect relativity and quantum mechanics would make your head explode in all the ways that their verifiable predictions fly against the concept of "common sense" and "my experience."-
Considering that you know nothing of my academic credentials, professional licenses, qualifications or professional experience I suggest that your own ad hominem arguements focused on my intellectual capabilities simply illustrates the shallowness and logical fallacy of your rebuttals of my earlier commentary/observations, non?

As a practical matter the dispositions of those debating herein are much the consequence of opinions formed upon the experience of the commentator. As I said way back when, it would seem that the less well to do often seem to be more willing to help another in difficulty. That is not to say, however, that the more well to do are any less charitable or compassionate then the less well to do--at least in so far as my experience over the past 70 years. But hey, what the heck do I know, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 16-01-2017, 18:29   #319

Boat: Leopard L38

My grandfather (WW2Surviuor) Always assist your fellow man. I don't understand why we would not help?? I am not in need of $$ and do not view humans other than humans. I will always assist regardless of my perceived value of their situation. Karma MFer's
Old 16-01-2017, 18:31   #320

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Rubbish. The history of "science" is ripe with "self selected sample data", for example, beginning with Archimedes, and proceeding in turn to Capernicus, Kepler, Newton, Maxwell, and Einstein all of who's theories, subsequently verified, arose from "self selected sample data"--i.e. empirical, or "what they observed", data dismissed by the "authorities" in their respective times....
The above is the reason I stay out of discussions like this.

However, it's getting really entertaining now.
Old 16-01-2017, 18:32   #321

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
I'm barely average, if that. Some of the people I'm criticizing are likely to be much smarter than me.
Poor English but undoubtedly so...

Quote:
And that lowers my opinion of them even further, because they know what they're doing and still do it.
Oh dear...the pity of it..if, of course, your, or any of our, opinions are of any consequence, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 16-01-2017, 18:36   #322

Boat: Landlocked right now.

This thread is on the road to "Closed by Moderator"

Don't mind me standing in the corer enjoying the show
Old 16-01-2017, 19:22   #323

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Lots of 'silverbacks' on this thread.
And mirrors no doubt abound.
So bloody sad.
The dimunitive and humble Bonobo could teach many a thing or two.
But then, leopards ( hyenas, vultures etc) rarely display fresh colours.
Old 17-01-2017, 14:01   #324

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'm calling Godwin's Law. You lose!
Nope, I don't, it is not a win-lose discussion, and as you can easily see (since so many here love to quote Wikipedia), "Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate." In this case, Hitler used "donations" to the public as a means to influence people to make Germany into what he wanted it to be, rather than what it actually was. As such, his use of this sort of influence does directly apply, as does the mention of this method of interference with the political status of the country, and ultimately, it changed the world as we know it.

So if it is a win lose, I guess I have to claim a "neener - neener" on you. Not that I would stoop to such things...
Save
Old 17-01-2017, 14:10   #325

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Hitler used this to change areas of the country to vote for him (buy votes!) with food for starving populations, cash payments, etc., and when it was not successful enough, they took to breaking legs and twisting arms to speed things along for the SECOND election.

We all have seen similar tactics here in the US of late (even though the mainstream media and the uninformed on the Internet have no idea or willingness to admit it is happening, even when they are personally acting in the same capacity) when the losing party just cannot seem to get over losing, in spite of the frauds committed (dead people voting, more votes cast for that party in a district that did not have the population to cast that many votes in total, intimidation and paid violence at opponent's rallies then blaming it on the opponent, intimidation of voters over social media, threats to electoral college voters and their families, that sort of thing). History tells us that this is very applicable, and the sooner people learn that, the sooner they will stop repeating history, because everyone will be seeing it for what it is.

Learn some history. You will like it. Or at least you will understand more...
Old 17-01-2017, 14:20   #326

Quote:
I'm barely average, if that. Some of the people I'm criticizing are likely to be much smarter than me. And that lowers my opinion of them even further, because they know what they're doing and still do it.
Perhaps they still are not the problem then. Perhaps you merely are not smart enough to understand their point of view. Most here are having trouble understanding you'res but I don't think that has anything to do with smart's...or the lacking of. I'm certainly no genus but I'm smart enough to know an arrogant ass when I see one. No fing science need here!
Old 17-01-2017, 18:30   #327
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
Nope, I don't, it is not a win-lose discussion, and as you can easily see (since so many here love to quote Wikipedia), "Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate." In this case, Hitler used "donations" to the public as a means to influence people to make Germany into what he wanted it to be, rather than what it actually was. As such, his use of this sort of influence does directly apply, as does the mention of this method of interference with the political status of the country, and ultimately, it changed the world as we know it.

So if it is a win lose, I guess I have to claim a "neener - neener" on you. Not that I would stoop to such things...
Save
I call mulligan on this one
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulligan_(games)
Old 17-01-2017, 19:00   #328
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

So sad. Is becoming almost impossible to have a nice discussion..

Closed.
Closed Thread