Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 22:51   #61

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Re: Will a 2.3 HP outboard do?

I have a 15hp Yamaha 4-stroke weighing 56kg, I just purchased a 2.5hp Yamaha 4-stroke weighing 17kg this summer that I keep in the deep locker sitting on a spring loaded outboard motor bracket that makes it a breeze to lift out of the locker. I found that we used this motor heaps more than the 15hp due to how easy it was to lift into the tender. It pushes along pretty good for short trips. We still use the 15hp if we plan to be anchored at the same place for several days and want to do some exploring. I think it was a great decision to purchase.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:18   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
I have a 15hp Yamaha 4-stroke weighing 56kg, I just purchased a 2.5hp Yamaha 4-stroke weighing 17kg this summer that I keep in the deep locker sitting on a spring loaded outboard motor bracket that makes it a breeze to lift out of the locker. I found that we used this motor heaps more than the 15hp due to how easy it was to lift into the tender. It pushes along pretty good for short trips. We still use the 15hp if we plan to be anchored at the same place for several days and want to do some exploring. I think it was a great decision to purchase.
I think that's an interesting idea.

Keep two motors ready -- one for longer trips/stronger conditions/heavier loads, and one just for puttering around over short distances/calm weather/light loads.

Adds a bit of clutter, but on the other hand it also adds redundancy.

A small motor like that would work for 90% of my trips, which are literally 150 meters to and from my mooring. Before someone says "just row!", there are tidal streams of up to 4 knots to deal with, but in calm weather 2.5hp would be enough. And I do row it sometimes
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:41   #63

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

[QUOTE=Akapeterc;2088229]I have a 15hp Yamaha 4-stroke weighing 56kg, I just purchased a 2.5hp Yamaha 4-stroke weighing 17kg this summer that I keep in the deep locker sitting on a spring loaded outboard motor bracket that makes it a breeze to lift out of the locker. I found that we used this motor heaps more than the 15hp due to how easy it was to lift into the tender. It pushes along pretty good for short trips. We still use the 15hp if we plan to be anchored at the same place for several days and want to do some exploring. I think it was a great decision to purchase.

Thanks for the advice. And congratulations for keeping your deep locker so tidy! Where, pray tell, do you keep your scuba gear, dock lines, spare dock lines, extra PFD's, spare anchors, deck cleaning gear and boat hooks ?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:55   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I know you're right re. couple of minutes from rail hoist to stern of dink. But that's a two-person job, no?
I have a Garhauer hoist, one I bought over 15 years ago (before they "improved" the tailing line arrangement. I was ahead of the curve and simply re-reeved it so I could control the line from the dinghy down below (I took it out of the cam cleat at the top). It's a one person job.

Look, you have davits. Thousands of people would give their eye teeth for your gear. And your choices.

Good luck.

Your boat(s), your choice(s).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:56   #65

Given the choice of rowing or using a 2.5HP outboard. outboard wins.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:05   #66

I use to have a 1993 Nissan 5hp 2 stroke that I could lift off the rail onto the dinghy. I sold that engine a couple of years ago and now considering either a 2.3 hp air cooled engine or a 3.5 hp water cooled one. I don't remember the weight of the 2 stroke Nissan, but I'm thinking if was only in the mid 40 lbs. That motor was getting to be too much trying to lift off the rail while standing in the dinghy so now considering that the 3.5 hp weights in at close to 40 lbs and the 2.3 is around 30 lbs , it would appear that the 2.3 is the way to go? Unless the 3.5 could get up on plane with just me aboard. And maybe that 2 stroke Nissan 5 hp weighted a bit more than the mid 40lbs.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:10   #67

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I have a Garhauer hoist, one I bought over 15 years ago (before they "improved" the tailing line arrangement. I was ahead of the curve and simply re-reeved it so I could control the line from the dinghy down below (I took it out of the cam cleat at the top). It's a one person job.

Look, you have davits. Thousands of people would give their eye teeth for your gear. And your choices.

Good luck.

Your boat(s), your choice(s).
And thousands of people have larger, newer, better built more seaworthy boats than I can afford. I' m just trying to figure out the best way to deal with what I own. And this forum is EXTREMELY helpful. And I am indeed thankful that I have what I have.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:15   #68

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I was really looking for the low-end of weight and I've read that the 2-strokes are LOUD. My question as well - is this enough HP to push the AB and the two of us? And will deploying/retrieving be changed enough to make a major difference? "Is the juice worth the squeeze?"
That Honda has no liquid refrigeration and is very noisy. Change to something like the Suzuki 4 stroke instead. I have a small 4 stroke engine (2.5 hp) after having a slightly more powerful 2 stroke engine (3.5hp) and in what regards pulling force the 4 stroke has more because it has much more torque even if it does less speed. I practically use it all time at very low RPM. Putting more RPM does not increase much speed just makes the boat drag a lot more water.

As someone said ask somebody to try a small 4st on your dinghy first but probably it will work fine even if at low speed.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:53   #69

Boat: magna 43

my old 4 horse merc finally stopped and I got a 6 horse 4 cycle The six could plane with my son at 100 pound in flat water A six was all I wanted to lift onto a deck station. Two horses is not much push in any thing bigger that the marina
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 22:16   #70

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

I use a soft bottom Avon Redcrest with a 2.5hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Works great, have had up to 5 adults in it at once and we had a great time cruising around. Sips fuel and is compact/lightweight. Have also used the 2.5 on a hard bottom and an inflatable bottom and it worked even better despite the weight increases. But inevitably sold them in lieu of the lighter/more portable Redcrest.
Old 04-04-2016, 22:48   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Obviously you are in the land where 2 stoke engines are banned. 2 stroke is much lighter.
I had a 3.5 Mercury 2 stroke and that had plenty of guts, wouldn't get near a plane.
Isn't there a Honda 4HP?
I just wonder if 2.3hp is enough?

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
It's entirely legal to buy and operate a 2 stroke in the US. You can't buy them new, though.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:22   #72

Boat: Lots of boats.

Best small motor I ever owned was an air cooled Eska 1.2 HP. Not sure if it was the prop design or what, but it would push an 11 foot john boat at faster than I could walk with two 200 lb. guys in it.

Motor Weight: 13 lbs. (6 kg.)

I truly wish I hadn't sold it. It started easy every time and was the only motor I could lend out to friends and it came back still running. Didn't smoke that bad and was fairly quiet, probably due to its smaller size. I used it on all sorts of boats, including my 17' Grumman canoe. It would push all of them along at a pretty good clip.

You might also consider an electric motor. I have a MinnKota with 55 pounds of thrust that easily moves my Cat 27, let alone a dingy. It weights about 25 lbs. and with a 20 lb. 35 AH battery, you have 4-5 hours of nice quiet power. You would be amazed at how fast it pushes a dingy sized boat. And even brand new, this combo won't break the bank.

Neither of these motors are going to plane a boat, but they do provide some good power for just getting to shore and back. And they are very easy to place on the back of a boat due to their very light weight.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:16   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Best small motor I ever owned was an air cooled Eska 1.2 HP. Not sure if it was the prop design or what, but it would push an 11 foot john boat at faster than I could walk with two 200 lb. guys in it.

Motor Weight: 13 lbs. (6 kg.)

I truly wish I hadn't sold it. It started easy every time and was the only motor I could lend out to friends and it came back still running. Didn't smoke that bad and was fairly quiet, probably due to its smaller size. I used it on all sorts of boats, including my 17' Grumman canoe. It would push all of them along at a pretty good clip.

You might also consider an electric motor. I have a MinnKota with 55 pounds of thrust that easily moves my Cat 27, let alone a dingy. It weights about 25 lbs. and with a 20 lb. 35 AH battery, you have 4-5 hours of nice quiet power. You would be amazed at how fast it pushes a dingy sized boat. And even brand new, this combo won't break the bank.

Neither of these motors are going to plane a boat, but they do provide some good power for just getting to shore and back. And they are very easy to place on the back of a boat due to their very light weight.
Was Eska not marketed by Sears at one time?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:16   #74

Boat: Lots of boats.

From what I've read, Eska (made in Iowa) built motors for several companies including Sears under the Gamefisher name. They also made motors for Montgomery Wards and Western Auto. Cool little motors. The 3 HP was also very lightweight. Tanaka (made in Japan) also made outboards for Sears. Not sure how these compare, but I sure was impressed with my little Eska 1.2.

Another motor you might look at is the Suzuki DF2.5. Same 30 lb. weight as the Honda, but has slightly more HP, SOHC vs pushrod, a real two speed transmission vs centrifugal clutch, water cooled vs air cooled, The Suzuki is in many ways more like a larger traditional outboard, but without the weight. Whereas the Honda seems more like a grass trimmer with a propeller. The Suzuki will plane a small inflatable as lots of YouTube videos will show. Plus, you can buy one in the $700 range. But as always, people should do their own homework.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:54   #75

Older 4-5hp Merc 2 stroke weighs ~45#, has shift F + R, is quiet and water cooled. Find a closet classic. Mine starts in 2-3 pulls after sitting all winter. Amazing little beast.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard