Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2017, 08:43   #16

Re: WILL I BE SAFE

This forum is going to the dogs....
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:56   #17

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

We put safety netting on the lifelines when we left to cruise. The the 20 year old cat found his way through 3 times, but not the two dogs. The cat had a cat box I built to fit behind the companionway steps, but the dogs had a time of it learning to break their training and use the deck. It turned out that we put a piece of astro turf on the foredeck, heaved to, if the going was rough, and put their collars and leashes on and walked them in laps from stem to stern while we sang the pee pee poo poo song we sang to them whenever they evacuated themselves during walks the couple of months before we embarked. After a few successful outings with praise and a post walk treat they did pretty good. But still, when we are not offshore, but just day sailing to a new spot, they wait and get really excited to go ashore and mark the new scenary. They only wear lifejackets in big weather, or whenever they are dinghying ashore.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:58   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Louie, you will do fine. Learn to use the Astro turf. I don't know about the Bahamas but keep a record of your rabbis vaccination tucked in you collar wallet.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:07   #19

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Hi Louis my name is China. Living aboard 2 years now. All I can say is that it gets easier with time. So many rules on board are different but your folks will let you know. I'm a yapper and have separation anxiety when they leave the boat so I feel better when they put me in kennel before they leave me alone on the boat
Say Louie, are you single?Click image for larger version

Name:	20170308_055604.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	148089
Old 20-05-2017, 09:12   #20

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
This forum is going to the dogs....
Going? . . . Surely you mean GONE!
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:35   #21

Hi Louie, my name is Harley, and I'm a 75 lb liveaboard. Make your owners glad they brought you aboard by learning to do your "business" on deck in a location that earns you a treat....I know it is hard to get over being house trained, just think of the deck as outside...my Mom and Dad walked me around the deck and when we reached the magic spot, they encouraged me to go, it took two days of crossed legs but I finally understood what they were asking. Dinging ashore is a real challenge in bad weather. Otherwise I am very happy onboard, feel safer in calm seas though!
ZoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbahnov View Post
well .. everything short of wondering about your safety before they sold the house.

I don't mean to be negative and I'm sure your folks are the loving sort but if I were them, considering your age, I would postpone my trip a few years. In fact I have personally considered my dog's needs in my relocation plans over the years as well as put off ideas like cruising until I was post-dog, which is where I am now.

A few concerns come immediately to mind. One is that the terms "dog rescue sailboat" bring up way too many hits on youtube, and those are just the ones that someone captured on video. Worst nightmare. Rather go overboard myself.

Another is that you're at an age where you're going to start needing more and more medical attention or even, in the worst case, EOL care. Again, not trying to be a downer little buddy - it's just that I've been through it 5 times. It would be a bummer if your folks were so busy enjoying the nightlife that they didn't notice the signs that you're in need, or if they chalked them up to sea sickness.

Maybe if you were a puppy and you had the chance to develop some instincts around such a life - and of course the wait for them would also be a much bigger sacrifice in that case - but at your age I wouldn't risk it.

WOW!! So basically, you want my parents to forgo THEIR dream, and just sit back and wait for me to CROAK!!! WOW!! Meanwhile, while they are waiting for me to "die", they are getting older, run the possibility of one or both of them getting sick or physically unable to go after I die, or worse yet, I lose one of them!! I do not know who is in charge of your home, but I know my place as a dog. I absolutely have the BEST parents in the world who love me as much if not more than a human, who take extreme care and caution with me. I get the best foods, best vitamins, plenty of exercise, etc. I am as healthy as I have ever been and I will be around for a long long time!! If they thought for one second this was going to be harmful to me, then we would not even be having this exchange! And as far as my age, in my little "small" dog world, it is a proven fact that more often than not, dogs who get the excellent treatment as I do, can easily live to a ripe old age of 18, 19, maybe even 20 or more years old. So I have a long ways to go. And if my parents had worried about all of the "what ifs", they would have never become successful enough for us to take the dream trip. We live for today, not for tomorrow!!

I appreciate your concern for my well being, but I know I will be just fine!! All I was looking for was positive tips and suggestions. Not hurry up and die!!
geauxcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:43   #23

Boat: Gamelin 37

Hi Louie!

I am an onboard travelling veterinarian - if we ever cross paths and your not feeling your self be sure to give me a yell!
I have seen quite a few boat dogs around, some stay on the boat all the time and others come and go to land, depending on the country.
I have heard good things from them that people are very nice to them, and often find it very endearing to see a dog on board.
In terms of your veterinary care it's a good idea to look up some vets in the areas you might travel before you go, I'm sure you don't want to see a vet if you can help it but it saves trying to locate one in an emergency! And not all vets are created equal so check some reviews online first or the expat forums.
Secondly some countries will require some very strict paperwork and testing from you before you enter, even more than what humans need! So your parents will have a lot of work cut out in that department.
Finally it can be a good idea to have a mini dog First Aid kit on board - if you are going to remote areas having some doggie ear drops, doggie pain relief and even an antibiotic on board might get you out of trouble in an emergency. If you have a good vet already on land your parents and you could visit for some more advice on setting up a kit for you.
Good luck and have fun!

Dr Sheddy
---------------------------------------------------------
www.vettails.com
Chuffed Adventures... Sailing the world helping animals
VetTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxcruise View Post
WOW!! So basically, you want my parents to forgo THEIR dream, and just sit back and wait for me to CROAK!!! WOW!! Meanwhile, while they are waiting for me to "die", they are getting older, run the possibility of one or both of them getting sick or physically unable to go after I die, or worse yet, I lose one of them!! I do not know who is in charge of your home, but I know my place as a dog. I absolutely have the BEST parents in the world who love me as much if not more than a human, who take extreme care and caution with me. I get the best foods, best vitamins, plenty of exercise, etc. I am as healthy as I have ever been and I will be around for a long long time!! If they thought for one second this was going to be harmful to me, then we would not even be having this exchange! And as far as my age, in my little "small" dog world, it is a proven fact that more often than not, dogs who get the excellent treatment as I do, can easily live to a ripe old age of 18, 19, maybe even 20 or more years old. So I have a long ways to go. And if my parents had worried about all of the "what ifs", they would have never become successful enough for us to take the dream trip. We live for today, not for tomorrow!!

I appreciate your concern for my well being, but I know I will be just fine!! All I was looking for was positive tips and suggestions. Not hurry up and die!!
Louie, I found that post distasteful also.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:59   #25

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Welcome aboard, Louie!

I'm one of two boat cats on our sailboat... [and I have very sharp claws in case you get any unfriendly ideas...]

We used to live in a forest, and have adapted well to this floating house over the last 3 [human] years or so..

Since we often spend time in remote places, my humans have some books written by a cruising Veterinarian who goes by Capt'n Dr. Dave.

They say they helped guide them through the process of adapting us to the boat.

Pets On Board? Adapting Your Pet to Travel By Boat or RV

Did the book help? You decide...

The other book is in what my humans call their medical reference section:

Where There Is No Pet Doctor

We also have to wear harnesses when we are on deck in calm conditions, and life vests if we go out by ourselves... [I hate wearing it, but it is worth it for some fresh air and to make sure the perimeter is secure when we are at anchor...]

We also have these dangly things on our harnesses to make us easier to spot if we go swimming...

They tell us they are planning to put these alert devices on our harness when they are available, and that they are like some doohickies they have on their PFDs... [Don't ask me what they are for...] That way they will know if we sneak off the boat on land or at anchor, darn it...

Have fun, and please be nice to cats too!

Cheers! Gus
Old 20-05-2017, 10:59   #26

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

We have a grandchild named Bentley who weighs the same and looks just like you, except he wears the hair on his head in a top knot, which I regularly threaten to cut off . His Mom decided he would never be allowed to sail with me after he backed into our pool one evening. Even the possibility of a life vest and a leash did not dissuade her. So I hope you enjoy the adventures he has not had, and are more careful. Please do not bark to much.
Old 20-05-2017, 11:14   #27

Quote:
All I was looking for was positive tips and suggestions. Not hurry up and die!!
oh now -- I didn't say that and you know it. But if they're the type who would resent you for being between them and THEIR dream, as you put it, then I guess that's how they're going to feel about it.

Quote:
So basically, you want my parents to forgo THEIR dream
I didn't say that either - I said postpone, as I personally did my own, btw, and it didn't kill me.

Quote:
Meanwhile, while they are waiting for me to "die", they are getting older, run the possibility of one or both of them getting sick or physically unable to go after I die, or worse yet, I lose one of them!!
yeah just wondering -- how old are your humans? The impression I get from all of this is of someone younger. Just between you and me, since they're not around, and I promise not to tell them that you divulged the information.

Quote:
I absolutely have the BEST parents in the world who love me as much if not more than a human, who take extreme care and caution with me. I get the best foods, best vitamins, plenty of exercise, etc.
I don't doubt that they love you very much.

Quote:
... in my little "small" dog world, ... dogs who get the excellent treatment as I do, can easily live to a ripe old age of 18, 19, maybe even 20 or more years old.
That is true.

Quote:
And if my parents had worried about all of the "what ifs", they would have never become successful enough for us to take the dream trip. We live for today, not for tomorrow!!
Go getters. That comes through.

Hey - it's just one man's opinion. You (excuse me - you're people) got plenty of the kind of feedback that they were looking for as well. But they asked a question in a public forum, and they should expect to hear a range of opinions. Mine is that whenever I see a dog on a boat, I tend to think those people are being selfish. Particularly a typical cruising boat. No good open space for running around, no gardeners to bark at and lots of risk.
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 11:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTails View Post
Hi Louie!

I am an onboard travelling veterinarian - if we ever cross paths and your not feeling your self be sure to give me a yell!
I have seen quite a few boat dogs around, some stay on the boat all the time and others come and go to land, depending on the country.
I have heard good things from them that people are very nice to them, and often find it very endearing to see a dog on board.
In terms of your veterinary care it's a good idea to look up some vets in the areas you might travel before you go, I'm sure you don't want to see a vet if you can help it but it saves trying to locate one in an emergency! And not all vets are created equal so check some reviews online first or the expat forums.
Secondly some countries will require some very strict paperwork and testing from you before you enter, even more than what humans need! So your parents will have a lot of work cut out in that department.
Finally it can be a good idea to have a mini dog First Aid kit on board - if you are going to remote areas having some doggie ear drops, doggie pain relief and even an antibiotic on board might get you out of trouble in an emergency. If you have a good vet already on land your parents and you could visit for some more advice on setting up a kit for you.
Good luck and have fun!

Dr Sheddy
---------------------------------------------------------
www.vettails.com
Chuffed Adventures... Sailing the world helping animals
Thank you so much. Good advice on the dedicated doggy first aide kit. We have a vet friend, who is also a avid boater and dog owner, who I will ask for help filling it.
geauxcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 12:26   #29

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

We have a retriever named "SeaDog". He has the run of the boat in good weather. One night we were anchored off to ourselves away from the town. In the middle of the night he started barking and woke us up. Four "friendly" men were quietly rowing toward our boat. Once we came up on deck, they waved, acted drunk, started their engine and off they went. We believe he saved our dingy that night. He is still underfoot most of the time! We do not mind as much.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 12:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbahnov View Post
oh now -- I didn't say that and you know it. But if they're the type who would resent you for being between them and THEIR dream, as you put it, then I guess that's how they're going to feel about it.

I didn't say that either - I said postpone, as I personally did my own, btw, and it didn't kill me.

yeah just wondering -- how old are your humans? The impression I get from all of this is of someone younger. Just between you and me, since they're not around, and I promise not to tell them that you divulged the information.

I don't doubt that they love you very much.

That is true.

Go getters. That comes through.

Hey - it's just one man's opinion. You (excuse me - you're people) got plenty of the kind of feedback that they were looking for as well. But they asked a question in a public forum, and they should expect to hear a range of opinions. Mine is that whenever I see a dog on a boat, I tend to think those people are being selfish. Particularly a typical cruising boat. No good open space for running around, no gardeners to bark at and lots of risk.
Louie, is 12lbs. not much more than a lap dog. At his age he probably doesn't want to chase the ladies so the running space may not be an issue.

Just the fact that he asked and types well would say he will do well.