Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2017, 10:06   #31

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: Will Sailboats Still Be Made in 30 Years?

Someone is completely missing the point, I think. There is only one reason to go sailing. For fun. why else? Learning is not a barrier, its part of the fun. People still go walking for fun, they climb rocks or mountains for fun, they fly gliders for fun. How efficient (or not ) it is as a means of getting somewhere is pretty irrelevant, isnt it?

also - 30 years is NOT a long time....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 10:13   #32

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I have seen a few incidents where commercial shipping is experementing with sails to reduce fuel consumption. In 30 years who knows we may be prohibited from using internal combustion engines for recreational purposes for environmental reasons or gas/diesel may be unavailable so sailing could be the only option. There again Trump and Karea could have started WW3 and those who survive may be out hunting, who knows.
One of the most satisfying things I have done in life is to renovate an old boat, take a sheet of canvas and a sowing machine and make something that took me to another continent. If I had been bothered about cost and efficiency I would have got a plane ticket. I sail purely for the satisfaction of doing it and I can't see that changing for me or those that follow, challenge and the need to explore are in the genes for some of us.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:27   #33

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by comesatime View Post
Or will sailboats be mostly replaced by hybrid technology?

Cruising boats with solar generating topsides (like the Tesla Roof), wind generators instead of sails, wave/current energy converters plus a small backup diesel engine all providing electricity to highly efficient battery and propulsion systems could provide unlimited, zero emission range and comfort to wander the world.

While I love sailing, learning how to sail is a big barrier to entry and powerboats are really expensive to run.

What do you think?
HA HA!
I think you should spend more time sailing and less time posting.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 13:15   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuid View Post
I know I am being a tad cynical but....

If it follows the trends of anything else in the last 20 years, sailing will still be around. I will just become more expensive to do it. Increased permits & fees required, additional security requirements before entering/leaving areas, bigger insurance required, fuel/material costs increased, more expensive marinas, less available free anchoring spots, etc. What used to just cost equipment, some paperwork, and time will be $$$ to death.

If it is too good to enjoy, others always find a way to ruin it by making it expensive.

I hope it doesn't go that way. But here's crossing our fingers it doesn't.
Too true, sadly
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 14:05   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjymd View Post
30 years from now, we may all be liveaboards, considering the potential rise in sea level.
" Thimk ahead "
Maybe two inches?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 14:39   #36

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by comesatime View Post
Or will sailboats be mostly replaced by hybrid technology?

Cruising boats with solar generating topsides (like the Tesla Roof), wind generators instead of sails, wave/current energy converters plus a small backup diesel engine all providing electricity to highly efficient battery and propulsion systems could provide unlimited, zero emission range and comfort to wander the world.

While I love sailing, learning how to sail is a big barrier to entry and powerboats are really expensive to run.

What do you think?
Learning to do anything can be a barrier if you are not really in love with the idea from the beginning. I get the feeling you think one would not need to learn anything about a power boat either which is far from the truth. About the only thing one can jump into and power away from the dock might be a small runabout with an outboard engine and yet, even that needs a certain amount of knowledge.
I guess this all comes about due to the car rental mentality; that is, you pay the fee, jump into the drivers seat and just motor away to wherever. You can do this in most instances because you have a car at home and (hopefully) know how to drive. Not quite the same with boats. For one thing, you need to have a working knowledge of the rules of the (road) sea. There are no traffic signs out there and you do need to know who has `the right of way`... remember you are entering a world of professionals who have all this knowledge in their heads and will apply the rules as they know them. If you have no understanding of the rules, you`ll find yourself in trouble real soon.
As well, the rules are different for powerboats vs sailboats and you do need to know when and where they apply. If you`re not prepared to invest some time to learn how to handle a vessel, be it power or sail, please stay off of the water.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 15:11   #37

Boat: Pearson

When you can be charged for using the wind, there will still be sailboats, its in our souls....😁😍
Old 24-08-2017, 16:21   #38

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Not really enough deck space to power electric drive system on even a sailboat. Doubt that solar panel efficiency will x10-20 which it would take at a minimum. Then there are all the shadows on the panels. One shadow across a panel kills that panel's contribution to the whole... so might lose 50% or more of theoretical output. While 'free' power is emotionally inviting... I'd rather see more efficient propane fuel cells or dead quiet diesel technology on sailboats. It's the NOISE! that kills the scene/ mood when the winds slack and the iron genny has to come to the rescue. Why can't we have engines as quiet as cars, which you can hardly hear/ feel any vibration? Cost of fuel... we use our 46' ketch at lot (actually bigger than we need for Chesapeake Bay and only put in 70-80 gals of diesel a year. If I fully fill up all three tanks and lower RPM to 1200 I can go the Bermuda totally under power. Typical weekend cruise/ anchor out... uses less than 5 gals. So for me it's not about amount/ cost of carbon based fuel... it's about the noise for 2-4 hours at a time. And as all sailors know... the wind is always on the noise!

FYI- While on an RV trip to Idaho for the eclipse, I met a fellow engineer that works in high tech battery development. He was camping with a few prototypes of new battery chemistry that while it doesn't totally solve the solar/ battery storage challenges, these new batteries can be totally discharged (usually you can only go down to 50%, or you will greatly decrease overall battery cycles/ life. This would reduce battery count, side, weight significantly... but doesn't solve the challenges of how to charge them on the go on a shadowy sailboat.

Also, some of the new fuel cell technologies... even propane based fuel cells look very promising. Easy to get/ refuel with propane and totally quiet power source.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:26   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but solar panels can only get 5 times more efficient than current capabilities? I am pretty sure they are at 20% efficiency (or a little more for the smug Sunpower owners).

So there's the theoretical limit of solar power input right there.

Compare that with even my very un-canvassed boat and I think the power limit on my boat would be about 10% of what the sails can produce.

So I'm not betting on the end of sail on that front.
Old 24-08-2017, 17:48   #40

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I don't why this issue of sailing is being addressed. Sure modes of transportation will change but you only need to read the following to know why people sail:
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking, And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.
Sea Fever by John Masefield
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:52   #41

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I totally agree that motoring is cheaper than sailing for most uses even if it looks illogical at first. The typical SoCal sailor makes 7-8 trips to Catalina per year. At 60 nm per trip, 10 nm per gallon that is about 50 gallons per season or less than $300 at the marina prices. You can also get to choose your start times instead of waiting for the wind.

Any single piece of rigging than needs to be replaced costs a major fraction of that amount (at West Marine prices).
So you are comparing the rigging cost to fuel but completely neglecting the cost of the engine and oil it consumes?
Quote:
For the last 150 years people have been sailing for fun not because sail is the most efficient propulsive technology.
I have no idea how you calculated efficiency. Normally it is based on energy input to useful output. In the case of sail vs engine, sail is more efficient.

In terms of cost (not efficiency), sail power is generally much cheaper. My standing rigging cost $270, the turnbuckles and chain plates cost me $200, and I spent also $470 on sails. I got my running rigging for $45. In my case I sailed more than 30,000 miles and can sail much more.

This ends up being less than 3 cents per mile.

My sculling oar cost me nothing to build. I carved it from hardwood. I have traveled only a few dozen miles in total using it, but it's even cheaper than sailing.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:53   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here is some food for thought
Sail Freight Projects Around the World | Sailing Dog Dry Goods
Old 24-08-2017, 19:47   #43

There is thousands of years behind sailing technology and it hasn't changed very much if at all. It has proven the test of time. I think it will be here until they bring on free energy powering anti gravity vehicles , and even then people will want to experience the thrill of sailing in the breeze.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 20:01   #44

Anything that poses a real threat to the status quo will be bought out and destroyed or the inventor will be destroyed. Billions and billions of $ are at stake here. The global corporations are calling the shots if you haven't noticed. Don't get your hopes up too high, because it could be a long way down. Sorry to be so negative.
Old 24-08-2017, 20:02   #45

"All is vain."

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat