Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2021, 20:55   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Winchrite question

As I age, not so gracefully, I am finding it more difficult to raise my mainsail. I am thinking about buying a winchrite next season to help get the sail raised. I know about using a right angle drill with an attachment but I have no use for it otherwise.

I am interested in hearing from those who have one, used one, opinions. I was thinking about replacing the current winch with a larger one but cost wise it may not end up being cheaper even used.

Thanks
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 21:02   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Winchrite question

I don't follow the argument about not having an alternative use for a right angle drill. Do you have an alternative use for the Winchrite? What could that be?

As an enthusiastic user of the m28 Milwaukee drill, its price, power and replaceable batteries gave it the nod over the "marine quality" electric winch handles that I researched before buying.

At any rate, whichever design you buy, it will improve your enjoyment of sailing as you continue to age. I bought ours 8 years ago when I was a stripling 75. As a more mature 83 y.o. now, I'm damn glad I did!

Jim
Old 25-11-2021, 21:19   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Winchrite question

I had the first version of the WinchRite. It wasn’t up to the loads of my mainsail and burned out its clutch in the first year. The company was responsive and repaired it. The clutch burned out again in about a year of use. The company, Sailology, came out with a new and improved version and allowed me a fair credit to upgrade to the new unit. That one also could not handle my main halyard for long. I bought a Milwaukee 28v right angle drill with the Cranker bit and it works a treat.

By the way, I’m 10 years behind Jim and took his advice. Glad I didn’t wait any longer.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 05:00   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I found the Milwaukee to be too big and unwieldy for me, so I’ve used a Winchrite for five years, without any trouble. All I would say is that neither of them is very good on horizontally mounted winches, unless they are self-tailing winches. I found it difficult to tail the rope and hold the drill/Winchrite in place with the other hand. My sails are all roller furled now, so I don’t mess about with halyards anymore anyway.
Old 26-11-2021, 05:23   #5

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

I thought was older than Jim but found out today he is my senior by 3 years!!!!!!!!!!
What a relief!!!!
I bought the Winchrite, 4 years ago and changed my life, need to respect their warning not to hoist someone on a bosun chair!
Did burn the motor however the company repaired for free and even paid the shipping, very customer friendly.
My observation, a very powerful unit, high torque, many times have to let go before braking my wrist!!
For a 30 ft boat like mine fine,a 42 may be too much?
Have roller furling in both, head sail and recently replaced the main with a behind the mast ,day and night difference, no longer need to leave the cockpit, that is a problem for my compromised balance and solo sailing.
I think is a matter of ergonomics (how well fits your hand) and the load to pull.
Either one will help to extend the joy of sailing
cheers
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 05:29   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We bought a winchrite at the 2019 boat show .
The battery fried on first use. the vender had a new one sent to us, great customer service.
After a few months of light use, the battery would self drain and be dead after sitting for a few days. We returned It and they gave us a full refund.
So I believe their concept is great, the company/ customer service is solid. Unfortunately as of 2019 the product was lacking.
Hopefully that has been corrected by now.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch