Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 10:27   #1

Wind App for Android phone?

Does anyone have an app that lets you set a location and find the wind speed currently and forcasted? Maybe something with barometer readings also..Other than a basic weather app..Thanks.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:53   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Wind App for Android phone?

Do you mean something using a physical sensor for local wind or just reported local wind data?

WindGuru is good for forecasts and local reports.

There are a few apps that use mic noise to approximate wind speed. Have not tried them so dont know how accurate.

And a few that interface with anemometes/weather station hardware for local sensors.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 17:55   #3

Boat: Alberg #0

Predictwind

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 22:21   #4
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Windfinder / Windfinder Pro are pretty good. Me and my nerd sailing friend love this app. easy to read, nicely laid out. seems to be pretty accurate in the couple months we have been using it. also has forecast out a couple days and barometric pressure, tide, wave height etc...
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 04:26   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I was using WindFinder this summer, and I like its easy to read interface.

But on at least one occasion its predictions differed significantly from the local NOAA forecast. It was one of those approaching stormy days where you keep tracking the predictions to figure out where to anchor and when to travel etc. Windfinder predicted winds of 30 knots gusting to 40, or something like that. NOAA predicted winds 15-20. Turned out NOAA was correct. It made me wonder what model Windfinder uses and how their prediction process differs from NOAA, or from any other wind prediction app. I always assumed they all drew from the same well of data.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 05:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Do you mean something using a physical sensor for local wind or just reported local wind data?

WindGuru is good for forecasts and local reports.

There are a few apps that use mic noise to approximate wind speed. Have not tried them so dont know how accurate.

And a few that interface with anemometes/weather station hardware for local sensors.
No, not looking for something to tell me what the wind is where I am..just something I could check for a certain area before going out, etc. So, if I were going to drive a couple of hours for a sail I would know that the winds are expected to be XX knots throughout the day. The regular weather on my phone just tells me temp and precip. I know I can get that from weather stations, was just looking at a quick reference for my phone.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 09:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
No, not looking for something to tell me what the wind is where I am..just something I could check for a certain area before going out, etc. So, if I were going to drive a couple of hours for a sail I would know that the winds are expected to be XX knots throughout the day. The regular weather on my phone just tells me temp and precip. I know I can get that from weather stations, was just looking at a quick reference for my phone.
Ok, then any of the above recommendations are good. Install them all from Google Play and see which you prefer.
Old 15-10-2015, 21:20   #8
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I was using WindFinder this summer, and I like its easy to read interface.

But on at least one occasion its predictions differed significantly from the local NOAA forecast. It was one of those approaching stormy days where you keep tracking the predictions to figure out where to anchor and when to travel etc. Windfinder predicted winds of 30 knots gusting to 40, or something like that. NOAA predicted winds 15-20. Turned out NOAA was correct. It made me wonder what model Windfinder uses and how their prediction process differs from NOAA, or from any other wind prediction app. I always assumed they all drew from the same well of data.
interesting i will have to start double checking against noaa more often see how it does long term.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 03:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
interesting i will have to start double checking against noaa more often see how it does long term.
NOAA's GFS model, which is the most commonly used, often under estimates higher wind speeds. So, some data presentation services tweak the data. WindGuru for example, allows you to set your own correction factors.

For a dramatic example, look at GFS forecast wind speeds around a hurricane.
Old 16-10-2015, 05:09   #10

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I just downloaded Wind Guru (free version) to my phone.

I wanted to add a couple of "Custom Spots" but when I click on "Custom Spots" I just get a blank screen with no way to input coordinates. Is that just a feature of the paid version, or am I missing something?

I'm impressed by the wealth of data, all the different wind/wave models this app presents.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, wind