Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00   #1

Wind Diverter for Forward Hatch

On our Catalina 36 the forward hatch is just aft of the v-berth bed. We've been getting great wind in the Keys but it's all going aft and the v-berth still gets stuffy. Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to rig a wind diverter that would take the incoming air from the hatch and push it forward over the v-berth? Is there a diverter that can be attached to the hatch on the outside of the boat, inside? Just wondering.
Takinbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:04   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the Caliber designers actually built the forward hatch to open directly over the vee birth. What a concept but I don't know how you would reverse the flow without installing a fan.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:08   #3

I was thinking about doing a reverse windscoop but not sure how I'd engineer it. Otherwise I do use a fan on the locker to push some air back into the vberth. If the hatch was 6" forward, it would be in a great place.
Takinbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takinbetz View Post
Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to rig a wind diverter that would take the incoming air from the hatch and push it forward over the v-berth?
Yes, it's called a Hella fan.

Actually, they work very well for us. You can adjust the angle of the hatch cover inside the windscoop to dump the air in pretty much straight down. Then several well-placed 12 volt fans will circulate it nicely. And the Hellas only use about 0.1 A each.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Google < wind scoop >, there's numerous iterations available.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:22   #6

We have used a windsock like what you see at airports and over bridges but with a mouth at 90 degrees to the sock that opens wide by tying it up and out to the sides the tail of the sock you can direct in any direction works great simple, air is free and quiet
Davey J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 19:36   #7

you could install a pair of dorades (Dorade Boxes, Cowls and Accessories) for ideas, or try and re-engineer your hatch cover so that it can open in either direction. This will give you the option of working like a dodger and wind scoop.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:44   #8

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
We have both windscoops and hella fans... both have been fantastic uses of kitty kash.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:55   #9

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I've used the Windscoops on several boats... on a small C26 I had the same problem with Vberth not getting much circulation when the wind dropped.. but some still blowing.

I fabricated a cloth of the same material... an old windschoop... where I fitted it across the hatch opening allowing the middle to sag inward about 8 inches. This redirected the low end breezes forward rather well. It covered about half to 2/3 of the hatch opening. I accidentally discovered this idea when a mosquito screen I had covering the hatch drooped and forced more air back into the v-berth.

When the breeze kicked up it wasn't needed which was a good thing since it would tend to flap with the breeze coming back on it from the V-berth. For lighter winds it was great.

Sorry don't have that boat anymore and can't send a photo. I'm heading back to my boat in BVI in a few days and if I find the winds dropping I may make another and try to get a photo to post later.