Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 05:54   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Wind instrument & Tacktick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sounds almost magical.
Make & Model?
Yep. Airmar PB200. Also available from Furuno as WS200.

As per # Dockhead's input.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 06:32   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Wind Instrument & Tacktick

I don't have the Ticktack wind instrument, Mine are very old and still working, but I did install a system for someone who didn't want to go up the mast. That was the easiest electronic equipment install I ever made.
Old 19-04-2011, 06:51   #18

It is a very nice feature that you can have the tacktick off its cockpit plate and then snap it onto its docking plate down below. And no need to drill holes in the boat is just as nice.

b.
Old 19-04-2011, 07:41   #19

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I have the most sensitive wind instrument ever contrived; my wife's eyebrows. When they start to point down in the middle it's time to reef. It's that simple. I don't even have to keep an eye on them as they come equipped with an audible alarm.

Seriously though, in 40 years of monohull sailing I've never felt the slightest need for wind instruments. As mentioned before all the info is right there in the behavior of the boat. I am considering wind instruments for our cat as it has a pilot house and the boat does not talk to us like our mono does. So far however, the eyebrows have been sufficient on the cat as well.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 11:30   #20

The TackTick has served us well for almost 3,000 miles so far.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 12:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
(...)
Seriously though, in 40 years of monohull sailing I've never felt the slightest need for wind instruments. As mentioned before all the info is right there in the behavior of the boat.
(...)
This was my belief too, when I migrated from lake sailing (competitive) onto the ocean. Then I discovered very soon that nothing beats the windex to tell me where the wind is.

I think this is because on a lake and in protected waters the wave pattern promptly reflects any changes in wind direction / force change. However, on a choppy ocean passage it will take hours for the waves to follow the wind and in many cases they never will - with the wind coming at any angle to the waves and swell.

So, my way is - electric/electronic instruments are nicetohaves but a good windex (with a night light) - a musthave.

b.
Old 22-04-2011, 09:17   #22

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We will put Nexus on ours shortly. Wireless, more reliable than Tacktick (we've had several friends that have experienced regular comm problems with Tacktick).
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 11:11   #23

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Current boat has no wind instruments. I've sailed with instruments and they're nice to have, but not essential. I learned to sail using tell tails and a wet finger. Both continue to work well.

We had a Windex until last month when a crow decided it was in his way. He systematically tore it apart and dumped the peices on the boat in the next slip. Now we regularly have the crow, a hawk, or a seagull hanginig out on the masthead. The crow makes the worst mess on the deck, the hawk just stares down at us , but the seagulls always turn to face into the wind. If I could only get one of the gulls to stay put when we're sailing, we wouldn't need a new Windex. Maybe messier than the Windex, but at least the crow stays away when a seagull is there.

Guess I'm going for a climb soon . . .
Old 22-04-2011, 12:45   #24

Boat: Niagara 35

Just bought a Niagara 35 with non-working TackTick speed and wind instruments. Tacktick customer service was great. Helped me trouble-shoot, then sent me a new wind transmitter for about $120. Problem solved (no deal on the $180 speed transmitter, but helped to troubleshoot. No complaints). So not foolproof, but responsive. Also very simple to install and you can carry the display wherever you want it.

I do just fine without an instrument, but I like having one. I like numbers, and I'm new enough at this that I'm still calibrating my cheek.

A note on the OP's comments on boat speed. Around here (Victoria, BC), it's actually pretty useful due to the very large currents. It's the only way that you can get an idea of what kind of current you're bucking. If you're trying to get to know a boat and understand what trim tweaks speed you up and which ones slow you down, you also need boat speed through the water, not SOG. I just wish that the true wind speed calculation used SOG instead of boat speed to do its calculations. Oh well, not critical. I've been in a couple situations where we were in about 5 knots of breeze aligned with 5 knots of current. Took us a while to figure out exactly why we were dead in the water, riding the a veritable river at 90 degrees from where we wanted to go! It'll be obvious next time we run into it!

Chris
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We will put Nexus on ours shortly. Wireless, more reliable than Tacktick (we've had several friends that have experienced regular comm problems with Tacktick).
What sort of problems? And which model(s)?

b.
Old 22-04-2011, 18:12   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I like having a wind meter for those times when the little pieces of yarn tied to my shrouds blow away.

Yarn is so unreliable.
Old 23-04-2011, 04:26   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Yarn is so unreliable.
Yes, especially the organge! Doesn't blow away as much as likes to wrap tight around the shroud and move up out of your reach.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 05:11   #28

I have discovered that regardless of the display - wireless or wired it is usually my guests on board my boat who watch the devices.

For the multiple media rich exposed folks, perhaps the displays are entertaining.

I have the wind, depth, speed, gps, and chart as standard displays; yet, I use external indicators to determine wind direction.

Wireless sounds simple and flexible as a solution for sailors.

It would be nice to read more of the type of problems folks observed regarding TT.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 13:37   #29

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What sort of problems? And which model(s)?

b.
I'll have to ask. One is on an identical boat to ours that's across the pier (they made 16, and two are on the same pier in Corpus Christi). His regularly requires a reboot during use - once or twice an hour. He's been 'round and 'round with tech support.

Nexus CLAIMS to use a different type of wireless linking, that's much more reliable and gets better distance.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 09:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
(...)
Nexus CLAIMS to use a different type of wireless linking, that's much more reliable and gets better distance.
(...)
Nexus is Silva - a company with different tradition and background than Tacktick. We used Silva equipment before Nexus owners were even born. ;-) Nexus offers full boat instrumentation/autopilots/etc.. Tacktick does not. Tacktick offers snap on, Nexus does not - the instrument IS wired.

Please note the huge difference in the sensor design - Nexus has the most stable vane I have ever seen - much less work for the software to average the readings, much less hysteria. I used Nexus and LOVE it. Too pity it is actually one of the more expensive systems - way beyond my personal reach today. Probably would be my choice for autopilot / wind / instruments combo (esp. that the speed sensor does not have the stupid propeller thingy).

b.