Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2011, 20:20   #31

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Wind Instrument & Tacktick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Nexus is Silva - a company with different tradition and background than Tacktick. We used Silva equipment before Nexus owners were even born. ;-) Nexus offers full boat instrumentation/autopilots/etc.. Tacktick does not. Tacktick offers snap on, Nexus does not - the instrument IS wired.

Please note the huge difference in the sensor design - Nexus has the most stable vane I have ever seen - much less work for the software to average the readings, much less hysteria. I used Nexus and LOVE it. Too pity it is actually one of the more expensive systems - way beyond my personal reach today. Probably would be my choice for autopilot / wind / instruments combo (esp. that the speed sensor does not have the stupid propeller thingy).

b.
The Nexus wind systems - mast top sensor, computer and display - are less than $1000. The mast top sensor IS wireless.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 21:41   #32

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Re: Wind Instrument and Tacktick

I installed a TackTick T101 system on my boat a couple years ago after a lightning strike took out my old wired indicator. For the most part it has been great. It does periodically lose connection though. This is usually fixed by just turning it off and back on again, but not always. Sometimes I just have to wait awhile and it comes back to life. Most of our sailing is in the lower Ches Bay near the Norfolk Naval Station. My theory is that something on the base interferes with the signal. If you consider wind speed and direction to be critical information, then you might want to stick to a wired system. If you can deal with the occasional outage, I would go with the wireless. It's just nice to have for me, so I'm pretty satisfied with the T101. The battery life is excellent, and the install was super easy.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:42   #33

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Wind Instrument & Tacktick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
The Nexus wind systems - mast top sensor, computer and display - are less than $1000. The mast top sensor IS wireless.
Yep. But Ray 40ST is only 300. And the thing we have - rċċ varv - is less than 500 and requires no electricity to run.

Yes. Nexus sensor to instrument is wireless but the instrument is wired. Tacktick is very slick as you just unclip it from one dock and clip it onto another.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote