Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 09:23   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Windlass wars, Lofrans vs Maxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Thanks for raising that issue. For long and trouble-free life of the gypsy, using the correct size chain is critical. Please use only the chain that is specified for your windlass. An off-specification chain may work for a while, but it will knock the shoulders off the chain pockets and before that's gone very far, the chain will be bouncing or slipping as you try to retract. On the RC (rope chain) windlasses the rope dimension is a little less critical, as the rope channel of the gypsy is tapered, but again, for best performance, use the specified rope.

Best Regards
John Mardall
for
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment

John, while you're here, do you have any input on my thought of whether the HRC10 chainwheels will handle 3/4" line acceptably?
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 09:49   #17
Marine Service Provider

There are two gypsy sizes available with the RC10. They are 8mm and 10mm, hence the designations RC108 and RC1010. Specified rope sizes are: RC108 -9/16" to 5/8" nylon and RC1010 - 5/8" nylon. The rope can be either 3 strand twist or 8 strand brait. If you're buying new rope, go with the specified sizes. 3 strand twist is less expensive than brait, but brait is much better in that it will lie flat in the chain locker and not form a bird's nest with resulting hockles jamming the windlass on the way out. If you're planning to use existing 3/4" rope, the type and age will make some difference, with 8 strand brait being soft, compressible and easily lead, while an old three strand twist may be stiff and baulky. If in doubt about an existing 3/4" rope, take a short length to your windlass dealer and try it in the gypsy. If the rope is clean and soft, I don't expect you to have a problem.
Thanks for asking
John Mardall
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:25   #18

Boat: Tartan 37C

following, going to need a new windless too
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 22:13   #19

Boat: Prout Quasar 50

Quote:
Thanks for raising that issue. For long and trouble-free life of the gypsy, using the correct size chain is critical. Please use only the chain that is specified for your windlass. An off-specification chain may work for a while, but it will knock the shoulders off the chain pockets and before that's gone very far, the chain will be bouncing or slipping as you try to retract. On the RC (rope chain) windlasses the rope dimension is a little less critical, as the rope channel of the gypsy is tapered, but again, for best performance, use the specified rope.

Best Regards
John Mardall
for
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
Hi John,
I was referring to Maxwells ability to take different types of the same size chain, it's my understanding that as long as it's 3/8 chain the new Maxwell wave design gypsy can handle it, for example it wouldn't matter if I had BBB or HT chain. Is that correct?
madprops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
There are two gypsy sizes available with the RC10. They are 8mm and 10mm, hence the designations RC108 and RC1010. Specified rope sizes are: RC108 -9/16" to 5/8" nylon and RC1010 - 5/8" nylon. The rope can be either 3 strand twist or 8 strand brait. If you're buying new rope, go with the specified sizes. 3 strand twist is less expensive than brait, but brait is much better in that it will lie flat in the chain locker and not form a bird's nest with resulting hockles jamming the windlass on the way out. If you're planning to use existing 3/4" rope, the type and age will make some difference, with 8 strand brait being soft, compressible and easily lead, while an old three strand twist may be stiff and baulky. If in doubt about an existing 3/4" rope, take a short length to your windlass dealer and try it in the gypsy. If the rope is clean and soft, I don't expect you to have a problem.
Thanks for asking
John Mardall
Hi John,

Helping son in law select a new chain wheel for his Maxwell 2200. The old is quite worn and the chain is jumping out of the pockets.

Chain measures 3/8" G4. Maxwell website shows a 3/8" BBB (clearly not the rigt one)

Other wheel listed is 3/8" for C3, C4, C7 Campbell chain, part number 3231/065C. No dimensions I could find for the wheel or the chain and in fact don't know of any Campbell chain that is called C3, C4 or C7 but they do have G4, etc.

Is that the right wheel for his 3/8 G4 chain?

Thanks
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:03   #21

One of my windlasses years ago showed the BBB and G4 as the same wildcat.... cant remember if it was 5/16 or 3/8 chain...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:55   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
One of my windlasses years ago showed the BBB and G4 as the same wildcat.... cant remember if it was 5/16 or 3/8 chain...
The manual for my ancient SL shows all that and more will work in my gypsy but determined that it was total nonsense.

3/8 BBB and 5/16 G4 both work perfectly but they have almost identical link dimensions and links/foot. 3/8 G4 I tested and no way.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:38   #23

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I bought a Maxwell HC10 12 volt for my 22 ton schooner. I considered the Lofrans, but it was a lot more expensive when I was buying. I have 300 feet of 3/8” chain. The Maxwell has performed flawlessly for seven years and things I like are:

1. The wireless remote button for up and down, which was included in my kit. Since I altered my chain locker to made the chain truly self-stowing, I just sit on the foredeck and press the button. I also have foot switches which I rarely use.
  2. The remote chain counter, which shows chain amount going out and coming in. This is quite an expensive accessory, but saves having to mark the chain, and once calibrated is very accurate. If you know the depth and how much chain is left, you know when the anchor is up and down. Theoretically this also allows weighing from my center cockpit, although I’ve never actually done it.
  3. I always use two anchors for an over-night, with a second anchor attached to the chain with a strop, and a line back to the windlass. Bringing the second anchor in first, means engaging the gypsy pawl, releasing the clutch with a standard winch handle, then winding the line in on the drum. This is greatly facilitated using the remote button. (see A drag proof method of anchoring).
  4. I have a socket which fits the gypsy and my ˝” long handled socket wrench. I can then ratchet the handle back and forth to bring the chain in by hand—never had to do it in practice. I also have a spare easily connected 12 volt battery in the bow, if my batteries are not up to the job for any reason.
I bet the darn thing breaks down now!
Old 05-07-2020, 12:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The manual for my ancient SL shows all that and more will work in my gypsy but determined that it was total nonsense.

3/8 BBB and 5/16 G4 both work perfectly but they have almost identical link dimensions and links/foot. 3/8 G4 I tested and no way.
Yeah, that was it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 13:50   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi John,

Helping son in law select a new chain wheel for his Maxwell 2200. The old is quite worn and the chain is jumping out of the pockets.

Chain measures 3/8" G4. Maxwell website shows a 3/8" BBB (clearly not the rigt one)

Other wheel listed is 3/8" for C3, C4, C7 Campbell chain, part number 3231/065C. No dimensions I could find for the wheel or the chain and in fact don't know of any Campbell chain that is called C3, C4 or C7 but they do have G4, etc.

Is that the right wheel for his 3/8 G4 chain?

Thanks
Skip

Hello Skip,

Please contact me direct at jmardall@comcast.net from your email address and I'll forward your question to Maxwell windlass guru Will Vrooman.

Best Regards
John Mardall
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, maxwell, wind, windlass