Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 12:55   #1

Boat: Prout Quasar 50
Windlass wars, Lofrans vs Maxwell

I'm ready to buy a new windlass to replace my old one that is undersized for my boat, I have got it down to two options for my 50 foot prout quasar cat. i'm going to go with 300 feet of chain, people say good things about both, the cost of the Maxwell 3000$ CAD is a bit off-putting but it has more utility I think.

Maxwell HRC10 - 24v
1200w a bit less power
does chain of any type and rope
no cleat on top
700$ CAD more money

Lofrans Tigres - 24v
1500w a bit more power
has to be the right chain or it will not work
has a cleat on top which may useful
700$ CAD less money

Also open to other options but don't want to spend to much more money on this.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
Old 18-05-2020, 13:01   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Windlass wars, Lofrans vs Maxwell

If you're going to run all chain, I'd probably get the Lofrans (and just make sure you get the correct chainwheel for the size chain you want). If you're considering mixed rode, get the Maxwell.

For the Maxwell, it comes in 2 versions, the HRC10-8 (for 5/16" or 8mm chain, 1000W motor) and the HRC10-10 (3/8" or 10mm chain, 1200W motor). Both are spec-ed for 5/8" line, although it looks like 3/4" would work fine (Maxwell claims otherwise, however). Either size chainwheel can be put on either unit if the power difference matters.

I installed an HRC10-8 with a combo rode of 5/16" G43 chain and 5/8" 8 plait line over the winter. Hasn't seen real use yet, but from the testing I've done, it works well. Rope/chain splice transitions very nicely with no help, it's fairly fast, not overly loud, seems well built, etc.

Realistically, I haven't heard anything bad about either unit, so I'd say it just comes down to whether the differences matter to you one way or the other.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post
I'm ready to buy a new windlass to replace my old one that is undersized for my boat, I have got it down to two options for my 50 foot prout quasar cat. i'm going to go with 300 feet of chain, people say good things about both, the cost of the Maxwell 3000$ CAD is a bit off-putting but it has more utility I think.

Maxwell HRC10 - 24v
1200w a bit less power
does chain of any type and rope
no cleat on top
700$ CAD more money

Lofrans Tigres - 24v
1500w a bit more power
has to be the right chain or it will not work
has a cleat on top which may useful
700$ CAD less money

Also open to other options but don't want to spend to much more money on this.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Don’t know either windlass

For me the best windlass has the fastest retrieval rate ... meters per min

The common failure point on windlasses is the stripper arm

Choose a windlass with a robust stripper

Remote control from cockpit plus a chain counter are very valuable features

As far as I know maxwell no longer exists

The brand is marketed by VETUS

Be sure spare parts will be available

I’ve always used lewmar windlasses

No complaints
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:52   #4

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post

As far as I know maxwell no longer exists
Wrong

http://www.maxwellmarine.com/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 14:00   #5

Boat: Prout Quasar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you're going to run all chain, I'd probably get the Lofrans (and just make sure you get the correct chainwheel for the size chain you want). If you're considering mixed rode, get the Maxwell.

For the Maxwell, it comes in 2 versions, the HRC10-8 (for 5/16" or 8mm chain, 1000W motor) and the HRC10-10 (3/8" or 10mm chain, 1200W motor). Both are spec-ed for 5/8" line, although it looks like 3/4" would work fine (Maxwell claims otherwise, however). Either size chainwheel can be put on either unit if the power difference matters.

I installed an HRC10-8 with a combo rode of 5/16" G43 chain and 5/8" 8 plait line over the winter. Hasn't seen real use yet, but from the testing I've done, it works well. Rope/chain splice transitions very nicely with no help, it's fairly fast, not overly loud, seems well built, etc.

Realistically, I haven't heard anything bad about either unit, so I'd say it just comes down to whether the differences matter to you one way or the other.

My plan is to do a couple laps around and I was thinking that it may be better to have a windlass that can handle different types of chain plus rope. The thought is that if I lost some of my anchor chain for whatever reason I could still keep going and ad some rope, or if I'm in a place where I can't easily find the type of chain I need.

Am I way out to lunch on thinking that this is a huge plus?
madprops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 14:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Wrong

Maxwell

http://aaccapital.com/en/news/maxwell-marine-joins-vetus/
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 14:50   #7

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
http://aaccapital.com/en/news/maxwell-marine-joins-vetus/
Regardless, Maxwell still exists and has done for the 12 years since that article was written.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 18:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

Maxwell is a part of the Vetus group of companies and still very much in business. If you're going to be in New Zealand, let me know and I'll arrange a visit to our facilities in Auckland (direct contact: jmardall@vetus.com). The HRC108 and HRC1010 are rope chain windlasses with horizontal shafts and the entire mechanism on deck. They are quite happy to pull chain all the time, but can also pull a rope chain rode with an appropriate splice. We also make chain only windlasses and if you'd like to check that option, let me know and I'll provide information.
I'm completely biased and from the shameless commerce branch of the group, so you won't be surprised that IMHO you can't beat a Maxwell windlass
Good luck
John Mardall
for
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 18:39   #9

I've become a Maxwell fan of late, very happy with ours.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 18:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Maxwell is a part of the Vetus group of companies and still very much in business. If you're going to be in New Zealand, let me know and I'll arrange a visit to our facilities in Auckland (direct contact: jmardall@vetus.com). The HRC108 and HRC1010 are rope chain windlasses with horizontal shafts and the entire mechanism on deck. They are quite happy to pull chain all the time, but can also pull a rope chain rode with an appropriate splice. We also make chain only windlasses and if you'd like to check that option, let me know and I'll provide information.
I'm completely biased and from the shameless commerce branch of the group, so you won't be surprised that IMHO you can't beat a Maxwell windlass
Good luck
John Mardall
for
John the OP is under the impression that the Maxwell gypsy can handle different types of chain and rope.
I haven't heard of a gypsy that can do too many sizes. Maybe a misinterpretation?
I think we would appreciate your feedback on this.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 19:02   #11

Boat: Grand Banks 32

I have had 2 Lofrans Tigress windlasses on 2 boat. Basically bullet proof. Change the oil every few years if you looking for something to do.
Oldersalt
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 20:24   #12

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We kinda like our new Maxwell. Went with Italian chain.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 22:10   #13

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

We had a tigres on our 1982 15 ton sailboat. It seemed original. I changed the oil, greased the clutch and went sailing. No issues.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 05:29   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
John the OP is under the impression that the Maxwell gypsy can handle different types of chain and rope.
I haven't heard of a gypsy that can do too many sizes. Maybe a misinterpretation?
I think he was referring to the Maxwell being able to handle (according to their chainwheel guide), 3/8" BBB, 3/8" G43, 3/8" G70, 3/8" G63/G80, 10mm DIN 766, 10mm ISO 4565, 10mm Grade L, 10mm Grade P, 10mm EN-818, 5/16" G70, all on the same gypsy. The 5/16" gypsy is slightly less flexible, handling 5/16" BBB, 5/16" G43, 8mm Grade L, 8mm Grade P, 8mm EN-818, 8mm DIN 766.

Line-wise, officially the 5/16" gypsy does 9/16" and 5/8". Looking at how 5/8" sits in mine, I think 3/4" would work just fine. Officially the 3/8" gypsy does 5/8" line only.

A lot of other windlasses have more narrowly scoped chainwheels, and need a change for, say 3/8" chain vs 10mm metric chain.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 09:14   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post

Thanks for raising that issue. For long and trouble-free life of the gypsy, using the correct size chain is critical. Please use only the chain that is specified for your windlass. An off-specification chain may work for a while, but it will knock the shoulders off the chain pockets and before that's gone very far, the chain will be bouncing or slipping as you try to retract. On the RC (rope chain) windlasses the rope dimension is a little less critical, as the rope channel of the gypsy is tapered, but again, for best performance, use the specified rope.

Best Regards
John Mardall
for
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, maxwell, wind, windlass