Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 22:16   #1

Boat: Prout Quasar 50
wire to rope halyard for in mast furler

Hi,
I'm about to replace my main sail halyard, the old halyard is wire to rope, I have a in mast furler. Is there any reason I shouldn't just replace it with the same?

If I put another wire/rope halyard on I would get a lot less stretch and I wouldn't have to replace anything on the mast.

If I switch to dyneema I would have to check my sheaves, if its not going up and down all the time, is a V groove ok for dyneema (i'm guessing not).

The boat is a Prout Quasar 50 catamaran

Thanks for any help
Old 06-03-2020, 01:48   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: wire to rope halyard for in mast furler

I remain a big fan of wire-to-rope halyards as they don’t chafe. Granted, there are many high-tech ropes out there which are stronger and lighter but they’re not a lot stronger and not a lot lighter but they are subject to chafe. On our recent circumnavigation, we frequently traveled with an informal ‘fleet’ of other boats and several of them who used ropes made with high-modulus polyethylene (eg, Dyneema) had to make emergency repairs. Dame Ellen MacArthur wrote in her book, Taking On the World, about having to replace a halyard while sailing in 40 knots of wind in the Southern Ocean. A harrowing account and wouldn’t have happened if she had been using wire-to-rope halyards.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

When I replaced the standing rigging 9 years ago, I also had the running rigging replaced including the inmast wire/rope halyard. Despite the mast being 23 years old at that point there was no wear on the shelves so went ahead with Dyneema.

Today there is a slight furring of the outer Dyneema sheave were it is held in the clutch but nothing to get excited about. This isn't a halyard we fiddle with very much, unlike say a slab reefing halyard.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:04   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

why would anybody use a wire or wire to rope halyard for anything on any boat ?

dyneema is much better in every respect.

don't believe the comments about chafe...simply not true for modern fibers

no RTW race boat in the last 5 years (maybe longer) has used any wire halyards. that says it all...

cheers,

ps : btw, yr V groove sheeve is fine...not ideal, but fine
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post
Hi,
I'm about to replace my main sail halyard, the old halyard is wire to rope, I have a in mast furler. Is there any reason I shouldn't just replace it with the same?

If I put another wire/rope halyard on I would get a lot less stretch and I wouldn't have to replace anything on the mast.

If I switch to dyneema I would have to check my sheaves, if its not going up and down all the time, is a V groove ok for dyneema (i'm guessing not).

Thanks for any help
It’s a good choice for in mast furling

For other halyards fabric is best
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:43   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
why would anybody use a wire or wire to rope halyard for anything on any boat ?

dyneema is much better in every respect.

don't believe the comments about chafe...simply not true for modern fibers

no RTW race boat in the last 5 years (maybe longer) has used any wire halyards. that says it all...

cheers,

ps : btw, yr V groove sheeve is fine...not ideal, but fine

Because the sheaves are already setup for it, the masthead sheave boxes are old and sharp.

I’m all for changing if someone else wants to foot the bill for changing everything That is functional but just old.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:48   #7

Boat: Farr 43`

Why are you replacing the halyard?
Is there wear and if so what caused it?
Rucksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:42   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for any help
With an in-mast furler, once you raise the main, it will stay there, so you have no way of checking if the halyard is chafing. Keep that in mind if you are thinking about replacing the wire with rope.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
With an in-mast furler, once you raise the main, it will stay there, so you have no way of checking if the halyard is chafing. Keep that in mind if you are thinking about replacing the wire with rope.
Rope also hold and wicks water

Not good for a permanent component inside an aluminum mast
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I remain a big fan of wire-to-rope halyards as they don’t chafe. Granted, there are many high-tech ropes out there which are stronger and lighter but they’re not a lot stronger and not a lot lighter but they are subject to chafe. On our recent circumnavigation, we frequently traveled with an informal ‘fleet’ of other boats and several of them who used ropes made with high-modulus polyethylene (eg, Dyneema) had to make emergency repairs. Dame Ellen MacArthur wrote in her book, Taking On the World, about having to replace a halyard while sailing in 40 knots of wind in the Southern Ocean. A harrowing account and wouldn’t have happened if she had been using wire-to-rope halyards.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Thanks for that info, A lot of people seem to be very opposed to wire/rope halyards. But I think for a in mast furler they still an up side. I'm still on the fence but I'm leaning to get another wire to rope one. The old halyard lasted for 25 years so it can't be that bad haha
Old 06-03-2020, 07:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Why are you replacing the halyard?
Is there wear and if so what caused it?
The halyard is over 25 years old, I don't really trust the rope part of it it looks "old" and is really dirty, the wire part looks great.

I think the rope would look a lot better if I washed it, but I plan on doing a lot bluewater sailing, my thinking was get a new one and keep the old one for a back up.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:56   #12

Quote:
Thanks for that info, A lot of people seem to be very opposed to wire/rope halyards. But I think for a in mast furler they still an up side. I'm still on the fence but I'm leaning to get another wire to rope one. The old halyard lasted for 25 years so it can't be that bad haha
The beauty of rope halyards is that they can be end for ended as they age
They can be spliced on the chart table with no tools

Wire rope is only for special
Applications
Old 06-03-2020, 08:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
That's a great point, It is really easy to climb up my mast (built in ladder) but I would rather not have to do that all the time.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:04   #14

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for any help
I have seen three haylards fail.

First was an old wire/rope where the splice failed. So DO replace your old and tired one.

Second was a spectra cored line on a race boat. The cover LOOKED perfect, but the inner fibers had ben totally crushed in a rope clutch. The line failed under light load while being sweated up by hand!

Third was a dyneema cored haylard on a roller furling main. The inner fibers failed where they went over the mast head sheave.

This is an important consideration when going aloft on a cored halyard. Remember... the visual appearance of the cover tells you NOTHING about the condition of the actual weight bearing fibers in the core.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 13:27   #15

Boat: Sabre 402

Generally, wire-to-rope halyards make no sense. They’re more expensive than all-fiber halyards because of the splice, and the wire stretches more than the new synthetic materials. In this situation, however, for a r/f main that is left hoisted, it seems to be a reasonable choice. This is because of the chafe issue at the masthead sheave, where it would not be likely to be inspected often. People use dyneema for their lifelines, so they obviously feel it is strong and dependable. Lifelines are easily checked for chafe, though.
Since this halyard is essentially only going to get used to hoist the main once, the join between the wire and the rope could be made with eye-splices or soft shackles instead of the expensive and hard to make wire-to-rope splice. The join only has to be small enough to fit through the mast exit, and then the wire goes on the winch, no? It gets cleated off and coiled.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, grass, halyard, mast, rope