Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 08:36   #1

Boat: 35 Young Sun - S/V GYPSY
Send a message via Skype™ to Lilrascals
Wirie Good for WiFi ?

Does anyone have a Wirie WiFi system? We are trying to decide which antenna to install for cruising in Mexico. Appreciate any feedback and suggestions on any models.
Lilrascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:17   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Search the board for information on different wifi solutions. Your (non-cellphone based) choices essentially boil down to ethernet client bridge systems like the Bullet 2HP sold by several vendors or a USB client adapter like the Alfa, also sold by several vendors. The Wirie is a good solution for a USB client adapter, if that type of solution fits your needs. Stay away from systems relying on line amplifiers and long runs of coax cable. You will need to decide which path is best suited for your needs.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:44   #3

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
We got our Wirie a few months ago and are very happy with it. Given the cost we don't think we could put together the same components ourselves for less. It's still a small company so when I call or email I get an immediate response from Mark, a very knowledgable and likable chap.

The Wirie kit came complete for installation and the parts can be easily detatched for replacement or upgrades. Since the antenna booster itself is removable they provided a portable mini antenna so we can use it on or off the boat. A thoughtful feature which we appreciate having the option.

The system is powerful and elegant in it's simplicity. Perfect for plug and play sailors like me where reading technical manuals can be a misery, I mean a mystery. For example, while anchored out my computer saw 2 wifi signals before plugging in the Wirie USB cable. After plugging in and launching their software I picked up 10 more wifi signals and could see their signal strength. I was able to get on a wifi with 80% signal strength and receive and transmit data with perfect reliability. Not the case before the boost where my computer would drop the signal constantly while sending or receiving.

If you get Wirie I'm sure you'll be pleased and without regret. Let me know!
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:42   #4

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
The wirie you are speaking of has a Alpha 1 watt booster in it's aluminum box for 300$...I bought the same booster from amazon.com for 50.00 and a pelican water proof box from WM for 12.00.....can pick up wifi signals from 2 miles out.......Ed
Old 18-08-2010, 13:33   #5

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Ed, your sources for parts came too late for us but not for Lilrascals. It's a great option to pursue and may be very cost effective for others in the market. For us maybe not because of other factors. First let me add I have no interest in whether people buy Wirie as a kit or it's components seperately. I'm simply stating we are happy with Wirie's product and service.

We read about the various wifi antenna options out there and we liked Wirie's design the best. We discussed the option of buying the parts individually to build our own but decided the $250 cost was reasonable and would save us time and aggrevation. Here's why.

The convenience to install right out of the box saved us time from research and shopping for lowest price and shipping. D can tell you I can research product prices for days but if the parts don't come from a limited number of stores then shipping and gas becomes a factor. And what if I/we ordered incompatible components online, I'm no a tech expert. Nuff said.

Wirie has a 1 year warranty against mfg. defect, they "designed" the system so I (techno neophyte) don't have to, they provide tech support and useful integrated software. They delivered, we had no hassles and we're happy. That's good design I think worth paying a bit extra for.
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 14:12   #6

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Since we bought the Alpha a year ago, they have came down in price. there is a 2 watt and a 2 watt marine version that is waterproof ...for 136$...Ed
Old 19-08-2010, 10:54   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
Since we bought the Alpha a year ago, they have came down in price. there is a 2 watt and a 2 watt marine version that is waterproof ...for 136$...Ed
The 2Watt adapters you mention do not perform as well as the 1Watt adapter by Alfa.

I would not recommend the Alfa 2Watt adapter for anyone, unless they had specific needs to connect to N only networks, as B/G is all compatible with N routers anyway.

Mark
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 11:15   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
kiltym, do you have any references pointing to the poorer performance? Any tests?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 12:26   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
kiltym, do you have any references pointing to the poorer performance? Any tests?
Yes.

Do a Google search for "awus036nh vs awus036h".

Mark
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 13:32   #10

Re: Wirie Good for WiFi ?

Hi

I've been reviewing setups, here's some of my findings: (in response to the WiRie announcement)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rt-139098.html
code0 is offline   Reply With Quote