Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2006, 14:26   #1

Boat: East Orient 32
Woman on board - new thread suggestion poll

Just in case you haven't been to the Suggestions, Feedback and Site Support lately, I posted a suggestion on adding a new thread on this forum just for women. There is also a poll so that the powers that be can decide if it's needed. What do you say?
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 17:53   #2
cruiser

I 2nd this. That gender is kind of under-represented on the board. Maybe my wife would start to participate if it weren't all guys on here.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 08:41   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I also agree that this would be a welcome thread / topic on this board.

IMHO Gordy is way off-base in his reaction / comments in the other thread. His response - and a few others like his - are probably the best examples of exactly why such a topic / thread are needed to represent the female perspective on our lifestyle.

If it's tied to sailing, how can it NOT be a good thing for this Forum?
Old 17-01-2006, 10:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I vote yes as well. But maybe I should get my wife to vote. I will talk to her when she gets home from work tonight.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 11:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Women Afloat

Posted a new thread - "Women Afloat", the feminine perspective

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 14:28   #6

I Voted "Yes"

I'm all for the ladies, to have their own thread.

Think about it guys. If it weren't for the ladies, you'd all probably be living more miserably. (For some guys, prefer to be without ladies). With out a helper around the boat. Instead of yelling and screaming at ladies. I found out a long time ago, that it does no good to yell at the women.

I will not discuss anymore. Cause I don't want to start any arguements here. Ok folks?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 16:40   #7

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
My daughter, while

attending Massachusetts Maritime Academy, was treated to four years of non-gender bias. All cadets were treated equally. They all stood the same watches, took the same course, endured the same chow and cameraderie. Why do you "gentlemen" feel it is necessary to create a gender biased page on this bulletin board?
Is it because you feel threatened by the opposite sex or is it because the opposite sex is employing the gender card to seperate cruisers from cruisers.
Nowhere on this board have I seen a page for men only. Why should we have a page for women only.
I vote NO!!
Any self respecting sailor should be ashamed of himself for suggesting that women are of lesser value so they should be seperated from the BB. Segregation by any name is still segregation. I welcome all sailors and I don't need to know what their gender is.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 17:34   #8
cruiser

Re: My daughter, while

Quote:
Jentine once whispered in the wind:
attending Massachusetts Maritime Academy, was treated to four years of non-gender bias. All cadets were treated equally. They all stood the same watches, took the same course, endured the same chow and cameraderie. Why do you "gentlemen" feel it is necessary to create a gender biased page on this bulletin board?
Is it because you feel threatened by the opposite sex or is it because the opposite sex is employing the gender card to seperate cruisers from cruisers.
Nowhere on this board have I seen a page for men only. Why should we have a page for women only.
I vote NO!!
Any self respecting sailor should be ashamed of himself for suggesting that women are of lesser value so they should be seperated from the BB. Segregation by any name is still segregation. I welcome all sailors and I don't need to know what their gender is.

I have a friend that graduated MMA as well. He's now 3rd mate (or something) aboard large cargo ships that supplied the Iraq situation.

As for the double standards, I think it's more of a harmless thing among guys who get together. (at least I hope so) Women have it too. When they gather, they poke fun at us for some of these things that I'll be the first to admit they are right about... ha ha:

1) Honey, where is my ____________?
2) Asking a lot of questions when your wife goes out somewhere?
3) Getting hungry at certain times, needing attention, etc...

Ha ha... we're a funny gender too.

I'm sure nobody on this board would say a women is less competent that a man in terms of sailing. (again... at least I hope not)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 11:45   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
Found this old thread, and though it IS old, this has been an interesting topic to me recently, so I thought I'd just post to it to see if there is still discussion:

I definitely vote NO! As a woman sailor, I feel there is far too much gender bias in the cruising/sailing life already, let's not encourage it. My husband and I sail with very much a shared system, and though we adopt jobs that are either his or mine, they don't necessarily fall along the "typical" gender lines - he cooks, I do the docking maneuvers, etc., - though some definitely do - I clean, he fixes that greasy monster under the companionway. As for the topics - cleaning, fixing the diesel, docking, cooking - those are all viable topics which the existing forum threads cover more than adequately. Gender of the readers/posters need to come into play. If women want to participate more, go for it! Just click reply and put in your two cents! Don't be shy!

Jen
Dragonfly
Old 29-09-2008, 11:51   #10

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
I agree with svDragonfly's comments.

Gender bias comes in many forms, as does many other types of "prejudice". By creating an artificial atmosphere where you are attempting to imply that "women need something they can't take..." wait a minute...

My wife said I need to shut up now....

Never mind.

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 13:22   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Sheesh...whats the harm? Don't women friends sometimes get together for ladies night out..without their husbands? If a group of women want to get together on a thread to discuss things then go for it...no harm. This does not mean that women are incapable...it just means there are women who want to talk to women about whatever. If you do not like the idea then dont participate in the thread. Not every thread in Cruisers Forum is meant for everyone.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 13:37   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Should this be posted here?:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f92/

Women afloat and onboard? WHAT NEXT??!!

In theory I agree that should not be a need for a woman's section but in practice I think a good thing, if only for us fellas to ask girly questions from folk who do know stuff .....as well as being a slightly more welcoming place to post.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 15:14   #13

Boat: CT54
I do not see anything wrong with having a woman section in this forum and I do not think that makes me less of a sailor than a man.
I just think that there are some things that would be easier to talk to other women about. For instance issues of leaving family behind when you cut the dock lines to go cruising (I really think men and women view this differently). Now there may be a majority of women on boats that deal with things like this just like a man but I can't say that I have met any.
Anyway my vote is yes.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 15:45   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I do not see anything wrong with having a woman section in this forum and I do not think that makes me less of a sailor than a man.
Given we already have one "Women Afloat" I'm not sure voting is required. We added it a very long time ago. We thought it was a good idea. It has some postings but not much recently. Adding something new might generate a bit more traffic so it would be noticed. It's not exclusive, any one can post there.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 16:08   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am all for promoting it but couldn’t we come up with a better title? …….something that will really inspire participation?

How about….. “Broad Reach”, or the nicely balanced,

“Broads on Board” ?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote