Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 12:06   #31

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: World-first as man crosses Atlantic Ocean unaided on paddle board

I have been on a paddle board. It is not easy to do it long distance. It is much more difficult than a kayak. As you paddle your whole body is involve. You are connected via your shoulders/arms/hands to the paddle that is connected the paddle board via your torso legs and feet.

To propel a 1,300 lb vessle that distance is really an amazing feat.

Again...I kayak and have paddleboarded. The kayak is way easier.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:19   #32

It's a paddle board because it's only form of propulsion is a paddle. It is specially designed with a cabin so a journey such as this can be undertaken. He was completely unassisted. How do I know this? Because I have known him for about 20 years. He is one of the most unassuming guys you will ever meet, and pioneered some of the now famous big wave surfing spots on his own without publicity. So to some of you armchair heroes who are calling this bs, well you are just advertising your own ignorance and small minded mentality. Get a life. Chris has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity and all you can say is " it sounds like bs". You sad sad people!
sirfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:28   #33

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I'll bet the paddle was more often used to steer, not power. But who cares? He did what he did with what was there. Impressive by any reasonable standard.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:29   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfer View Post
It's a paddle board because it's only form of propulsion is a paddle. It is specially designed with a cabin so a journey such as this can be undertaken. He was completely unassisted. How do I know this? Because I have known him for about 20 years. He is one of the most unassuming guys you will ever meet, and pioneered some of the now famous big wave surfing spots on his own without publicity. So to some of you armchair heroes who are calling this bs, well you are just advertising your own ignorance and small minded mentality. Get a life. Chris has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity and all you can say is " it sounds like bs". You sad sad people!
Sorry you feel this way . I never said it wasnt a great thing he did . I just pointed out the fact that his vessel is a purpose designed distance racing row boat , and doesn't meet the specific criteria of a paddle board. His propelling it with a paddle and not oars . Perhapse it should be refered to as a paddle boat. ( paddle boards dont have cabins).
Old 10-03-2017, 12:34   #35

After reading about this guy's exploit and other feats of ocean voyaging over the years, I am constantly amazed at how "scientists" have such difficulty with the idea that mankind or civilizations or cultures are so widespread that only ocean travel will explain it. Gog has hollowed out log for fishing. Gog has mate and 15 kids. Gog finally says piss-on-it and goes off to the horizon and beyond, looking for peace and quiet. Ditto throughout history. If Phoenicians were such renowned sailors, why is it a stretch to think they would have gone beyond the pillars of Hercules? Etc...
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:58   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
After reading about this guy's exploit and other feats of ocean voyaging over the years, I am constantly amazed at how "scientists" have such difficulty with the idea that mankind or civilizations or cultures are so widespread that only ocean travel will explain it. Gog has hollowed out log for fishing. Gog has mate and 15 kids. Gog finally says piss-on-it and goes off to the horizon and beyond, looking for peace and quiet. Ditto throughout history. If Phoenicians were such renowned sailors, why is it a stretch to think they would have gone beyond the pillars of Hercules? Etc...
There is evidence that some did as you say, but often not a lot and rarely conclusive. Differences that are readily discernible include, this guy knew where he was headed and what was there, and the prehistoric or limited history people that may have even attempted a voyage to the unknown were not adequately prepared (how could they be?) or made it but had no meaningful way to return even if they were not killed or enslaved by those who were already there, if indeed anyone was. Just as history is written by the winners, it also helps tremendously to be able to write it. Do I need to mention the Vikings, who came relatively late in the game, or even the Japanese? The evidence for the Vikings and North America is strong, but definitely disputed. The evidence for the Japanese is both weak and uncertain, as well as disputed. Still for your examples, Gog and the Phoenicians, could have happened, but absent evidence we will never know, and even with some evidence the doubts may prevail, and may not make it to the books and stores that are read, let alone taught.
Old 10-03-2017, 17:43   #37

Boat: Coast 30

Not to diminish the feat or the fund raising objective/ achievement, But Like many others; when I first read the title, Visions of a conventional paddle board as sold in many department stores came immediately into mind. Followed by my long held concern/belief that these things are being paddled so far out to sea by people who appear to me to be totally oblivious to the dangers of being so many miles from shore on such an unsuitable devise. Yes they do indeed permit/facilitate the two vital requirements of 1) staying afloat and 2) moving along.

But in years past, I have been caught out on calm water under clear blue sunny skies. When in an instant, A white squall came up. We were sailing in a 4 metre open day boat. The wind force was so great that we could not sail against it & had to run which seemed like a fight for life for a partner & I.

So I am so very surprised that we have not received more reports of accidental death from using these things so inappropriately. Somehow sail boards and kite surfers who can achieve record breaking high speeds seem a lot safer as they can make it to shore very effectively. Has anyone rescued one of these paddleboarders several miles from shore?

Having seen the article, The actual description of the craft used seems open to conjecture. but fine effort & more than almost any of us would even consider?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 20:33   #38

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Old Inner Tube Next?
I can see it now. "Cuban refugee gets caught up in ocean currents and inavertantly makes circumnavigation around Antarctica and lives to tell about it !"

Sun Tzu
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 21:10   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Old Inner Tube Next?
I can see it now. "Cuban refugee gets caught up in ocean currents and inavertantly makes circumnavigation around Antarctica and lives to tell about it !"

Would a children's inflatable wading pool be more impressive than the old inner tube?
Old 10-03-2017, 21:41   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Gotta admit I am kinda jealous of that cockpit capsule thing he's got going on there... wait, did I see a sail hidden in there? Yes, I think right there behind his SECOND pair of shoes!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:24   #41

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Personally I would love to see the "chirpers" in this thread even paddle this board across a marina and believe the biggest mouths will not even make 10 ft !

Instead of being a big mouth why not go and try and do better ?
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:22   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
<snip> the prehistoric or limited history people that may have <snip> made it but had no meaningful way to return even if they were not killed or enslaved by those who were already there, if indeed anyone was.
<snip>
Still for your examples, Gog and the Phoenicians, could have happened, but absent evidence we will never know, and even with some evidence the doubts may prevail, and may not make it to the books and stores that are read, let alone taught.
Gog probably didn't want to go home and as for the Phoenicians (and others), there are oral histories (stories?) about that happening. When Pizarro came to S.A., for ex, the locals thought he was Tiki-Viracocha returned, which made Pizarro's job that much easier. DNA testing of some American indian tribes show lots more European DNA than expected. Etc. Now I'm guilty of hijacking a thread so I better quit.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:05   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post

Instead of being a big mouth why not go and try and do better ?

That's exactly what I am not recommending.

Those that think they can do the same.

And then it will become the youngest to do it, the oldest, the smallest etc etc etc.

Till someone dies.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:21   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfer View Post
I'm not sad at all sirfer, in fact I'm very happy and the fact that he raised money for charity is a completely different story as to what I am referring to, I am very pleased he did this.

But unassisted, I just don't believe that to be true and I'm sorry if that upsets you.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:26   #45

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

You see this guy without a shirt? He has a lot of lean muscle...the kind you get from using a paddle board.

You think he was pulled by a jet ski? What do you mean you do not believe he did this unassisted?

To me, he looks like a guy that could do this unassisted.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Atlantic Ocean