Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 18:39   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
World Wide Anchorages

Does anyone know of a list of anchorages for the world. I am putting together a list in Google Earth as I plan a circumnavigation. I am pulling from the web and the books that I have, but it would be nice to supplement that with already compiled list in a GPS format or XML or any output from a chart-plotter, or even a website dedicated to such lists.

thanks
austin
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 20:47   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: World Wide Anchorages

There are a bazillion anchorages that you can put in your data base, but I am not sure how useful a list will be without lots of other information. The quality of the anchorage is as important as the GPS coordinates. Water depth, type of bottom, submerged hazards, size of anchorage, the degree and direction of protection are also important.

Cruising guides are available for most places in the world, and they contain additional information that you need to know before you drop the hook. We used the SSCA bulletin and published cruising guides during our circumnavigation. They gave us all the information we needed as we sailed around the world.

You could narrow the list of anchorages down a great deal if you settled on a particular route. That being said, I don't know many people who follow a route to specific anchorages unless they are part of a round the world flotilla.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 21:35   #3

It would be helpful to know where to anchor, where you get charged to anchor, and where you can't or shouldn't anchor in a Google Earth format. Have a standard form layout so other people can add information quickly and easily. Have some ratings, how long they stayed, what time of year, how protected it is, pictures, tide?, min draft, is it popular with lots of boats, how easy shore access is...

Google Earth shows marinas, I think it should show anchorages as well.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 22:24   #4

Here is what I have now... (attached, i hope)

Yes, it would be good to have all that detail per anchorage, but it seems that many anchorage spots are known and frequented because they are good or good enough. I think knowing the location is primary and then one can start to research how good it is and how it could fit into a plan.

If there was a site that had a database of gps coords I could turn that into a KML doc for google earth... (I did this for the ICW and bahamas for my garmin) or maybe I should just start my own site where anyone can enter names and coords... then I can publish the KML doc.

If I created such a site, do you think anyone would use/support it by entering there anchorages, from books, guides, experience, etc.?

I could probably have a site up in a day or two...

thanks
austin
Old 23-01-2012, 22:50   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Active Captain has input from sailors,marinas,anchorages, etc using an "inter active cruising guidebook" which utilizes a variety of maps (NOAA,satellite,hybrid and plain map}with a very good search engine, on line links etc
Old 23-01-2012, 23:23   #6

Wow, that site is pretty good for mexico and the states. Not so much for the pacific isands or australia. Do you know of any other locations that it is good for? Ill keep scanning locations to see what I can find. I will definitely add some of those mexico ones to my map.

thanks again

Tags
anchor, anchorages