Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 04:43   #46

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Worth salvaging this on a limited budget

On reevaluation, at 350/ft I'd say it's a bargain, though I don't like dark blue for the tropics. I'd hurry though; if the current owner buys a couple of cans of Comet and washes that oxidation off he'll add 10-15000 to the 'value'.

If he splurges for a wax job he'll add another 5-10000...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:06   #47

Boat: Camano Troll

In my area, there's a big problem with people taking on these "fixer upper" boats and then abandoning them in the local waterways when they realize that they have made a bad decision.

Every boat that was ever made will reach a point where it has a negative value, that is, it is worthless as a boat and needs to be disposed of. People are abandoning these boats around here, leaving it to the taxpayers to fund their disposal. And of course, once they have sunk, disposal costs are way higher than they would otherwise be.

With very few exceptions, you take a "free" boat, invest $5K and hundreds of hours trying to fix it up, and end up with a boat worth no more than $5K, often less. That's bad business.

If you want to go boating, it makes far more sense to buy a boat that is seaworthy and ready to go with all systems operational.

"Free" boats belong in the landfill.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
Quikrete lol good idea just glass in some sonotubes. IF that’s the worst of it 'the step mount' and ordering a spool of dyneema for standing rigging and a spool or two of budget line for sheets some aluminum bronze bar stock for chain/ deck plates. I don’t see anywhere near $30k or a years’ worth of work.

That is IF there is no bigger issues such as engine, tanks and shafts, etc. Everything that isn’t necessary for it to be safely sailed will be repaired or redone when it’s underway. I actually enjoy projects just single tasks that last months on end.

Most of my life has been spent in a shop or garage whether I was paid or not. Some people play golf and watch sports, I design fix and invent. I mean how many people redesign there Norelco so it has LiFePO4 replaceable CR123A’s with charging/ protection module that has micro USB

My first offshore sailboat was built by a place whose main boat building was Alaska fishing trawlers. It had cement in the keel holding the iron in just like their commercial fishing boats. If it's possible to surround the area well and do a good job of filling it with concrete it could be fine.
I worry more about tanks that are 40 years old and buried in the floor, and the gunk that is in them etc.
Not sure why one thinks the rigging is bad if the boats sitting on the hard. Just age maybe I suppose?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 23:59   #49

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cheechako I think the biggest issue with stainless steel rigging is that no one can predict when it fails. So unless you know one when it was last replaced then the wisest choice is to replace it. Which is not going to be cheap being a ketch. There is also all the halyards which could need replacing. But this is all conjecture and depends on what lucky star Sunkenanchor was born under. I have seen rigs that are so old and the owners do not care and they seem to happily sail like that.
TooCoys your right this project has potential but all the projects you list are tiny in comparison to this yacht. They could easily be taken to the dump and got rid of had you found out they were not worth saving.
I keep forgetting to mention a brilliant book called "The boat they laughed at" by Max Liberson. It's all about a guy buying a 1500 pound ferro yacht and sailing an Atlantic circuit.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken mast.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	243668  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 01:34   #50

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

"...1500 pound ferro yacht and sailing an Atlantic circuit".

Did he get in the Guiness records for something like 'smallest concrete boat to cross the Atlantic'?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 01:46   #51

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
"...1500 pound ferro yacht and sailing an Atlantic circuit".

Did he get in the Guiness records for something like 'smallest concrete boat to cross the Atlantic'?
Just looked it up. Bought for 1500 British pounds. not a displacement of 1500 lbs.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 04:25   #52

Boat: Volkscruiser

It's a great book, I read it in two days. He had a BMC diesel that gave him so much trouble. A reliable diesel would have saved him a lot of stress. Still he got his money's worth out of the yacht.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 05:35   #53

I am a bit conflicted in my advice. My first large sailboat that I lived on and cruised extensively was a Northstar 40, the same boat as this one. I loved her, she was a good boat and a delight to sail.

BUT…. The words “salvage” and “limited budget” simply do not go together no matter what you see in YouTube fantasies.

If you can’t afford to buy a 40 foot cruising boat you certainly can’t afford to maintain it, and you really can not afford to refit one in rough shape.

Downsize your expectations a bit, buy a smaller boat in good shape and sail it, assuming your goal is to go sailing and not refurbish boats.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:12   #54
cruiser

After research and conversation I feel the mast step ‘hull/keel mount’ is a non-issue to resolve and the vessel is salvable. I have 100% confidence I can do all the necessary repairs.

The main concern now is getting down to San Carlos to inspect it and with about 500-800lb of tools and junk. Acquiring it at a price that would allow for necessary materials, fees, food, fuel etc.

Unfortunately now I had sold my truck last year when I lost my job of 10 years due to all this Gov. BS and only have a duel-sport sure its great on gas but not long trips or carrying more than a 100lb’s. A 3 hour trip is exhausting. Looking for a cheap truck preferably old Nissan hard body or Toyota. That way I could go down once to inspect it and bring everything if I decide to purchase it and satay saving about $500 that could go towards parts. Sell the truck or give it to a local that needs it depending on my financial situating after making it seaworthy

Yeah I know by that time the boat will be sold to someone else just like the last three I was attempting to buy
Sunkenanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:53   #55

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
After research and conversation I feel the mast step ‘hull/keel mount’ is a non-issue to resolve and the vessel is salvable. I have 100% confidence I can do all the necessary repairs.

The main concern now is getting down to San Carlos to inspect it and with about 500-800lb of tools and junk. Acquiring it at a price that would allow for necessary materials, fees, food, fuel etc.

Unfortunately now I had sold my truck last year when I lost my job of 10 years due to all this Gov. BS and only have a duel-sport sure its great on gas but not long trips or carrying more than a 100lb’s. A 3 hour trip is exhausting. Looking for a cheap truck preferably old Nissan hard body or Toyota. That way I could go down once to inspect it and bring everything if I decide to purchase it and satay saving about $500 that could go towards parts. Sell the truck or give it to a local that needs it depending on my financial situating after making it seaworthy

Yeah I know by that time the boat will be sold to someone else just like the last three I was attempting to buy
I am sorry. Reading this, if saving $500 is a concern, buying a boat needing anything is probably not a prudent move. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:03   #56

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I am sorry. Reading this, if saving $500 is a concern, buying a boat needing anything is probably not a prudent move. JMHO
I have to agree.

Tags
budget