Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 11:13   #31

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Re: Would you buy a boat that you knew has sunk in the past?

Really need to inspect closely, all the wood, all the wiring, electrics, fittings, seals......If you are willing to put in the hrs and the price is right, go for it, but even if the survey is ok it will still need a complete overhaul before I go to sea with a sunk boat.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 11:41   #32

Boat: Scout 30

There's a big difference between continual exposure to freshwater & a one time exposure to salt water. I'm not saying sinking a boat in salt water won't cause problems. I'm just saying it won't cause wood rot. However, encapsulated wood that cannot dry out after immersion would eventually rot but bulkheads would not typically fall into this category.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 11:50   #33

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I would buy it at $650 to fix myself, and would document the repairs for any future buyer. Would never buy one repaired by a for-profit flipper, especially if they do not disclose the sinking, they are already shady.
Old 13-01-2015, 12:06   #34

Boat: Scout 30

Boat US sells liability only insurance pretty reasonable & it's all marinas would care about I believe. I wonder if anyone know if you could get this type of insurance on a salvage vessel.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:15   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You guys, if you've been skipping posts, go back and have a look at Steady Hand's post #20 in this thread.

We have here, a boat grounded on a sand bar that goodness only knows how managed to tear off skeg and rudder in backing off!

The poor thing is history. Unless you have had close inspection of every bit of the repair, would you ever trust that boat again?

Nope, too many other boats for sale.

Ann
Old 13-01-2015, 12:29   #36
Keb

Would never buy a boat that sunk or a house that flooded from a rehabber, but I would buy either of them direct from an insurance company or lender. You never know what the rehabber put lipstick on until you tear it apart which at some point you will have to do. Don't like those kind of surprises. There is a Nordhavn 40 trawler for sale, Hayden Bay that sunk in Alaska a few years ago that is on the market at a fairly decent price, ... No thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:33   #37

Those skegs are usually fairly stout so it must have hit a rock or something hard to rip it all out, you'd think anyways. That looks like a model built in the 70's, I'd give it a pass although I understand the interest.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 12:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter2112 View Post
Here's the situation. There's a boat for sale at a discounted price, probably half its market value. New motor, new windlass, new water pump, etc.... The interior paneling has been painted, but I'm 99% certain that this boat has sunk, and been refurbished. When researching this particular boat make and model, I stumbled across a blog about a couple who ran aground, suffered rudder damage and the boat went to the bottom. Obviously it wasn't too deep since they ran aground, but the forward deck was awash, and even back in the main salon water was well above the floorboards. The boat in the blog is the same make, model, hull color, stripe color home port and NAME as the boat that's for sale. So this brings up an interesting question. IF, a survey came back ok, and the boat checked out, would you buy it, OR would you simply discount it regardless of survey and inspection based on the knowledge that its been full of salt water at some point?

In Real Estate sellers have to disclose if there was a death in the building, or a violent crime like a rape committed inside. I don't know why, except the honesty of disclosure; but exorcism in the building is not on the list, nor conversion to Catholicism, a bris, marriage. But, with boats is seems normal to expect full disclosure would include salvage.

In the final analysis, the current survey seems to be a sovereign on boats. It's the basis for insurance, and that's the royal law I'm afraid.

As for surveys, oh . . . that's another post. If it doesn't pass, you don't pay.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 13:02   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

$49k for a boat that has been sunk, no thanks!
Old 13-01-2015, 13:26   #40

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

But the entire boat, inside and out, has all been treated with "wood preservative".
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 20:34   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter2112 View Post
Here's the situation. There's a boat for sale at a discounted price, probably half its market value. New motor, new windlass, new water pump, etc.... The interior paneling has been painted, but I'm 99% certain that this boat has sunk, and been refurbished. When researching this particular boat make and model, I stumbled across a blog about a couple who ran aground, suffered rudder damage and the boat went to the bottom. Obviously it wasn't too deep since they ran aground, but the forward deck was awash, and even back in the main salon water was well above the floorboards. The boat in the blog is the same make, model, hull color, stripe color home port and NAME as the boat that's for sale. So this brings up an interesting question. IF, a survey came back ok, and the boat checked out, would you buy it, OR would you simply discount it regardless of survey and inspection based on the knowledge that its been full of salt water at some point?

Hi.
If the hull is sound, the main issue is electric equipment and joints.Visual inspection of it will tell you whether the have been changed or just washed. But if they are over the flood level- it is OK. Try to lower the price and make an insurance for the equipment- at least for the first year.
spassovm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 21:51   #42

The seller eould probably say it was an interior wash and not a sinking. Imho its lipstic on a pig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-01-2015, 22:34   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

All this talk about wood rot and no one is concerned about the nature of the major repair involved with the ripped off skeg?

The wood issues seem small to me since apparently it was refloated pretty quickly, and no major saturation should have occurred. The wiring would all be suspect to me, along with all electrical devices. The engine and its bits have been replaced so they shouldn't be an issue. Upholstery has been replaced (I think), so that too might be OK.

So, we're left with electrics and the hull damage as worries. I know which one I'd be more concerned with!

Jim
Old 13-01-2015, 23:06   #44

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Jim--the other thing that makes this a bad deal is that the vessel is now tainted and has been "restored" by a flipper.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 23:25   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Jim--the other thing that makes this a bad deal is that the vessel is now tainted and has been "restored" by a flipper.
Yeah, I'd have to add that rather subjective caveat to my list of worries!!

This might well be another case of a very expensive cheap boat...

Cheers,

Jim