Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 17:20   #31

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Would you trust this trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Oof! For the cost of a decent cradle, professionally built, let alone a trailer, you can park the boat in a marina for five years or more. If you are gonna keep the boat on your property because you want to refurbish it, that would make sense (kinda), but for the cost of the cradle/trailer and the refurbishing you can EASILY find a similar boat ready to go.

TP
I'm in Minnesota. We have a hard water problem six months of the year. It's either in a cradle or in jack stands.

And the boatyard I'm looking at requires that boats in jack stands have it's mast dropped.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 17:33   #32

Read the sidewalls of ALL the tires for their max weight and add it up. Then compare that to the boat weight. Bottom line, for that caliber of trailer I'm pretty sure you'll end up around 1750lbs/tire, on 3500lb axles. So max trailer AND boat weight 10,500lbs. Does it have surge brakes on at least one of those three axles? Do you feel lucky....?

And if the beam is more than 8'6" you'll need road permits for every state you plan to travel through. With specific dates, so if you breakdown and get delayed you'll likely need to reapply for all subsequent permits. Oh, does it come with a couple a decent spares and a decent jack?
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:12   #33

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I see a lot of supports and no diagonal bracing in either direction, I would not tow it around the yard let alone down the highway without adding diagonals at the very least. Be very wary of anyone who would tow such a thing for you. There are a lot of people out there willing to take risks for a buck. We have a powerboat in the shop that was being delivered by a supposed professional who clearly did not have a clue and sheared off the steering console on the flybridge on a bridge. Apparently he could not read a tape measure.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:15   #34

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

If you are considering a cradle then you are not planning on taking this boat onto the freeway so most of the comments do not apply. That trailer would support that boat fine. I have a 25 foot Cape George that is on a trailer I would not transport it too far on, thankfully I am really close to 2 with zero traffic. I have my trailer jacked up and lowered onto a few stacks of railroad ties to save the tires from slowly sinking into the beach, which it did when first put it where it is. If it is on a paved surface I bet you could make like 6 wooden stacks of short 4x6's on a couple layers of plywood to disperse the weight a little and use a bottle jack to make the trailer rest on it in probably 5 minutes up or down.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:49   #35

They look like 8 lug wheels, could be 5000lb or better axles. Tires need to be rated appropriately. It's hard to tell how the main part of the trailer is built from the pic, the part visible behind the rear axle looks like a tubular add on. Be very wary of steel tubing in fabrications exposed to water, especially salt water, it may be solid and fine or no stronger than the paint on it.
Type and rating of hitch?
Brakes, fenders, bracing for supports etc, lots to look at! Looks like a nice boat, have a local steel fabricator take a look at the trailer, they're always hauling heavy stuff about and are experts on trailers, hauling and rigging.
All the best, Rod
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:42   #36

Boat: Summer Twins 25

I haven't see the Trailer pic but here is a tale for caution.

My manager and friend brought a Fletcher Speed boat with a 150HP Outboard, he drove 250 / 300 Miles, visually inspected the boat and trailer, collected the boat and drove back, the following weekend he decided to take the boat and engine for a service before he put it in the lake, Travelling at around 50MPH the boat came off the trailer and luckily sliding along the road in the opposite carriageway, came to rest against the sidewalk / path.
The boat didnt roll and got away with minimal hull damage, so he was lucky, he removed the boat without the police being involved, so was very lucky, but the biggest piece of luck is that no one was killed.
The Trailer had been affected by salt water, especially in the winch cable, no sign of the corroded cable could be seen until it came apart.

its a big enough purchase, so get it professional moved, if your not confident in the trailer.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:51   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
I haven't see the Trailer pic but here is a tale for caution.

My manager and friend brought a Fletcher Speed boat with a 150HP Outboard, he drove 250 / 300 Miles, visually inspected the boat and trailer, collected the boat and drove back, the following weekend he decided to take the boat and engine for a service before he put it in the lake, Travelling at around 50MPH the boat came off the trailer and luckily sliding along the road in the opposite carriageway, came to rest against the sidewalk / path.
The boat didnt roll and got away with minimal hull damage, so he was lucky, he removed the boat without the police being involved, so was very lucky, but the biggest piece of luck is that no one was killed.
The Trailer had been affected by salt water, especially in the winch cable, no sign of the corroded cable could be seen until it came apart.

its a big enough purchase, so get it professional moved, if your not confident in the trailer.
I had a similar experience with a new boat. My kids dubbed me Captain Interstate. Make sure the winch and rope are not the sole retainer have a keeper chain. Dummy relied on the dealer having some brains.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:35   #38

Boat: Seawind - 1160

I would check on the point of center of weight of the boat. I would guess it is pretty close to where the rear trailer tire is. Not good. It should be at least over the center wheel so that there is no possibility of the trailer tongue wanting to lift off the hitch and dumping the boat off the back.
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 13:14   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Wide View Post
I would check on the point of center of weight of the boat. I would guess it is pretty close to where the rear trailer tire is. Not good. It should be at least over the center wheel so that there is no possibility of the trailer tongue wanting to lift off the hitch and dumping the boat off the back.
Tongue weight is a consideration. You don't want the tail wagging the dog. Torsion bars and a sway bar are a plus. Frankly I think an old Chevy C1500 with the 5.7 Ltr, engine would pull it.
Old 02-03-2020, 19:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Frankly I think an old Chevy C1500 with the 5.7 Ltr, engine would pull it.
Hahahahaha nice. Yea might pull it right into a ditch. The brakes won’t last 10 minutes on a steep grade.

I’d check tires for the ratings and wear. Check springs and mounts for wear and check axle and tongue rating. I’d be worried about emergency braking with out anything stopping the boat from jumping off the trailer and landing in your bed. Other than that I’d giver hell and and keep a safe distance between me and the rest of the shmuks on the road
SCMB666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 19:27   #41

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMB666 View Post
Hahahahaha nice. Yea might pull it right into a ditch. The brakes won’t last 10 minutes on a steep grade.
I hadn't planned on towing it myself, the seller had a "guy".

I would have questioned concerning his qualifications, insurance, etc., had I gone through with the sale.

Still, we're talking moving a boat from Texas to Minnesota. I didn't think there are any ten-minute-long steep grades on the trip.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 20:17   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I hadn't planned on towing it myself, the seller had a "guy".

I would have questioned concerning his qualifications, insurance, etc., had I gone through with the sale.

Still, we're talking moving a boat from Texas to Minnesota. I didn't think there are any ten-minute-long steep grades on the trip.
Ahhh I see. Just skimming through buzzed. But regardless any reputable outfit won’t tow it if the trailers not up to the task. I’d check him out with more scrutiny than the trailer
SCMB666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:05   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Tongue weight is a consideration. You don't want the tail wagging the dog. Torsion bars and a sway bar are a plus. Frankly I think an old Chevy C1500 with the 5.7 Ltr, engine would pull it.
A 2019 Chevy 1500 will have a maximum rated towing capacity of 6,700 to 9,900 pounds depending on its specific configuration.

One rarely wants to actually tow anywhere near a vehicles maximum rated capacities. The tail can easily wag the dog.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:25   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
A 2019 Chevy 1500 will have a maximum rated towing capacity of 6,700 to 9,900 pounds depending on its specific configuration.

One rarely wants to actually tow anywhere near a vehicles maximum rated capacities. The tail can easily wag the dog.
With a triaxle tongue load should not be a problem unless to light. I would not even consider surge brakes on any trailer, they are an invitation for the tail wagging the dog. The rule is trailer brakes first not brake the truck and depend on the trailer to catch you then brake.
I think he decided against it, which sounds smart. It was a good thread about towing.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:45   #45

Boat: Summer Twins 25

If the seller has a guy then, pay the transport costs and a deposit, and the rest on safe arrival.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, trailer