Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 05:51   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Would you trust this trailer?

I'm planning on retiring to a boat, in about five years, so I've had my eye out for possibles.

Actually, I've had my out for two different possibles: a very inexpensive monohull in the 25-30 foot range, to sail weekends, locally, now, and a 35-40-foot monohull to live on and sail the SE US and the islands, as the mood strikes.

I had a boat show up, recently, that was something in-between. A 32-foot ketch at a price low enough to to that it would be feasible as the immediate, sail-to-get-some-practice boat, and perhaps just large enough to make a retirement liveaboard. ("Low enough" means priced at a point where I could buy it, sail it for a few years, then buy another larger boat, later.)

So I have been seriously considering it. It's currently sitting on a trailer, ready for delivery.

Bu here's the thing - the seller sent me pictures of the boat, on the trailer:

So, what are your opinions of that trailer? I think I see problems, but I'm no expert. The seller said he had an expert convert it from flatbed to boat hauler - but I still have my doubts.

What do people think of it?

Do you see the problems I do?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 05:57   #2

Boat: Ericson 28/2
Re: Would you trust this trailer?

Hard to tell from that distance. The total height needs to be under 13' 6" unless it takes alternate routes to accommodate taller loads. The boat should be strapped down to meet DOT regulations. The hull certainly seems to be supported adequately. Flags are required on all four corners. The boat should not over hang the trailer by more than 2ft.
Afrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 06:05   #3

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Every picture tells a story,,,,,,looks like it was made to get vessel to local storage lot at slow speed, but not made for the Interstate. How old are the tires? How long has the trailer been sitting? No fenders = Moving Violation #1. Lights working - could be Moving Violation #2. Brakes on every axle - could be Moving Violation #3.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 06:06   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Was the trailer converted to act as a yard trailer? Or was it built to run the highway?

The tongue looks a little light, but it may be the angle of the photo. Also with no fenders I’d be surprised if it’s been used on the highway.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 06:23   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Long as you don't 'transport' it over 10 miles an hour. Or hope to launch it at a typical backdown ramp.

Nice looking boat though...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:24   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

That boat probably weighs 5 or 6 tonnes, plus another tonne for the trailer. So why do the tires look round? has someone been busy with the air line and over inflated to make them look good?

Whilst it may be the camera, the rear of the trailer looks bowed down, not a good sign. The weight should be taken on the keel support and the support arms just balance the boat.

Those aren't the original trailer supports are they, so as suggested, it was built for something else. Useful for moving around a boat yard, but I don't think I would be towing it anywhere.

Agreed, a pretty boat and the trailer wouldn't put me off.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:30   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

looks like you would need a travel lift to get it on and off the trailer.
Old 26-02-2020, 08:09   #8

What I would be looking at:
  • How much does the boat weigh?
  • What weight is the trailer rated to carry?
  • Where the axles added on or original?
  • What weight are the axles rated?
  • As mentioned before, how old are the tires?
  • What are the tire ratings?
  • Do all tires have the same ratings?
  • Are the tires and wheels the same size?
  • How are the brakes?
  • Are the brakes on all axles?
Previous posters have mentioned good things to check as well, especially lights.

It is hard to tell from the photo, but that trailer might be a light landscaping trailer, which is a "flatbed" but not a flatbed to haul heavy equipment. The landscaping trailers I looked at years ago were rated for about 7,000 pounds if I remember right.

If you can find the builders name and the VIN, the builder might/should be able to give you more information.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:37   #9

This is obviously not a boat that you can use as a week-end sailer and keep on this trailer or on any other in your backyard between sails while you wait for retirement.

If the boat itself is worth the money you are being asked for it and if you have access to a marina where you can keep her, then you might like to buy her. The trailer is certainly not, IMO, up to highway haulage of a 5 tonner. So buy the boat if the boat suits you and is worth the money, but scrap, or give away, the trailer.

You haven't said what sailing experience you may have, but this boat, if she is worth having at all, hits the "sweet spot" in terms of what I gather you wish to do. She is big enough for a single person to live aboard - if only just - and she is small enuff that even if you are a complete novice you can - with some caution - learn ab initio in her.

She looks like she hasn't had the best of care, so look VERY carefully before you commit to the purchase. Remember that most people can find the money to BUY a boat. Far, far fewer can afford to MAINTAIN one. Let alone repair and upgrade a boat that needs substantial work to make her safe. I don't know the price levels where you are, but here, on the west coast of Canada, to replace the standing rigging and to replace main and genny with associated running rigging would set you back well over $20K. Similarly to reengine the boat would cost about $15K. The annual cost to OWN her (as opposed to buying her) and keep her making adequate provision for major things such a sail and engine replacements in the future will run about $10K.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:38   #10

The adjustable length support struts do not appear to have any lateral [athwartship] strength. It appears that the supports could just bend outwards when an inertial load is applied as the boat on the trailer attempts to navigate a turn. In other words, it looks like there isn't anything that would stop it from just tipping over. Watch video linked below.

It appears to be just a poorly crafted dock yard trailer not one that would be road worthy or road legal.

It would require a travel lift or a crane to place the boat from the water onto the trailer and then again to lift the boat off the trailer and into the water as there are no rollers for the boat to slide upon or flat bunks to rest upon. This is not a trailer that one could load or discharge the boat into the water, like a trailer suitable for a boat ramp. It is merely a yard storage trailer.

As the previous posts indicated, the back end is clearly overloaded and bending the unsupported rear of the trailer. Once the boat is positioned at its storage space in a boat yard the back end would require jacking and supports installed to keep the trailer from further bending. The boat extends too far beyond the end of trailer.

I would doubt that the tires are properly rated. Note the mismatched rims which makes one question.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:39   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Is the boat near were you want it to be? Do you WANT the trailer? (Maybe so it can be pulled during storms?) If the boat is where you want it, then the trailer doesn't matter. If it needs transporting, see if the seller will haul it there before you take possession.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:58   #12

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

It doesn't appear the front of the boat is tied off to anything, so what will prevent it slipping off the back, or going forward when brakes are applied? Any movement on those supports could damage the hull. Also that bend at the back is disturbing.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:03   #13

Larger boat trailers have large I-Beams. This looks like it was made from square stock steel, like it was meant to carry a small camper or a automobile, or riding tractors.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:17   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I'm planning on retiring to a boat, in about five years, so I've had my eye out for possibles.

Actually, I've had my out for two different possibles: a very inexpensive monohull in the 25-30 foot range, to sail weekends, locally, now, and a 35-40-foot monohull to live on and sail the SE US and the islands, as the mood strikes.

I had a boat show up, recently, that was something in-between. A 32-foot ketch at a price low enough to to that it would be feasible as the immediate, sail-to-get-some-practice boat, and perhaps just large enough to make a retirement liveaboard. ("Low enough" means priced at a point where I could buy it, sail it for a few years, then buy another larger boat, later.)

So I have been seriously considering it. It's currently sitting on a trailer, ready for delivery.

Bu here's the thing - the seller sent me pictures of the boat, on the trailer:

So, what are your opinions of that trailer? I think I see problems, but I'm no expert. The seller said he had an expert convert it from flatbed to boat hauler - but I still have my doubts.

What do people think of it?

Do you see the problems I do?
A triaxle looks fine to me. It appears from the pic to be a good job. I'd check the tires for dry rot.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
It doesn't appear the front of the boat is tied off to anything, so what will prevent it slipping off the back, or going forward when brakes are applied? Any movement on those supports could damage the hull. Also that bend at the back is disturbing.
Ya mean something like this?

The lack of, or inadequacy of both fore and aft motion restraints causes accidents often.

The boats winch stop pin uncouples and the boat just slides off the back when the vehicle and trailered vessel accelerate, or attempts to climb an incline; or the boat just runs forward up, onto and over the vehicle when the vehicle slows abruptly or attempts to traverse an decline.

Seen both, not a good outcome to the vehicle that is towing, the vessel being towed or a vehicle that is following in traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-accident.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	209510   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-crashes-into-ram-pickup.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	209511  

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat off trailer.jpg