Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 07:52   #151

Re: Wow! Disappointed With CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
Please give us an update when you can. I know I'm curious
All the normal steps you would take doesn't apply in this location. It's like a Hoa. You can't run your engine to long ,you can't take a test run or tie off and load test the systems and really warm her up. So only option is a total refresh of all systems.

Currently injectors are being rebuilt and valve job done. I rebuilt the H/E and pressure tested the coolant exhaust manifold at my shop. Found a new water pump">raw water pump on the boat. During the inspection someone in the wisdom removed the flow control valve found that on the boat as well. I will be doing a in-frame. Rings and bearings are standard.

What I need now is locating parts. The motor is a simple 42b westerbeke or k4f Mitsubishi engine. A few parts have to be Westerbeke .
Old 08-01-2017, 08:16   #152

Good day all!

As a lurker I have been surprised by some of the responses made by Ken and when I first posted upon my initial arrival got into it with him. I am proud to say it was easier to "Be Nice" and I look forward to the day I get to go for a ride in Ken's Ferrari OTOH I think sitting and getting to know him better over a beer in the cockpit of one of our boats would be alright too. My Mom once told me many moons ago... ''The world is not ready for your kind of honesty". I learned to.... Hold my words for one second and then let them have it but a bit more compassionately. Sometimes what I was trying to convey was lost in the "niceness". But as someone that is very willing to assist always, I am very offended by those who do not listen and then do it wrong and then ask for help to fix an even worse situation. Ken kept trying to assist until she got pissy with him and he gave up. He at least tried.

Hi Ken! you sure can stir the pot and make me shudder but in regards to Carebear's plight I have to say you did get it right!

Cold as up hell here in the "motherland" I hope you are staying warm.

I enjoy the forum and thank you Mods for the great jobs you do.

Be well all!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:19   #153

Boat: Mako 28

42B Four, Westerbeke Commonly Used Parts @ Discount Marine Source

This might help not sure
Old 08-01-2017, 08:23   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Wow! Disappointed With CF

So your going for an overhaul and not just a valve job?
What is a flow control valve? Thermostat?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:24   #155

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
The bigger problem is that the vast majority of people just read posts and don’t bother to express their views.

What makes visiting this site interesting is finding topics being debated. So just a quick look at the top of the list today we see (obviously as I write this):
  • Navigo radar plugin 79 replies 6,404 views
  • DIY Watermaker 52 replies 20,579 views
  • Urgent help need to recover 373 replies 46,840 views
  • Just signed new 450s! 73 replies and 5,958 views

This post 126 replies with 8,008 views.
And so on and so on.

That's thousands and thousands of people reading but NOT posting.

What would make the site much more interesting would be if that silent majority chipped in much more than they do. They obviously have thoughts and opinions so it would be great to see the high use posters encouraging people whom don’t post to get involved and share their views.

Posts like Carebear’s that get people riled up and posting are actually really helpful to the health of the site. Creates interest and debate and that’s what forums are for. Best of all it gets some of the ‘view only’ people to share a few lines.
Allow me to add to this comment. Most of the time, I read posts and learn from the questions and suggestions. I compare it to attending a lecture or reading an article. I do not have to agree with everyone nor do I have to participate to get something from it. Many times I have solved and/or improved on ways of doing things. Other times people have posted on situations they have run into. I may run into this situation at a later date. Sometimes it is entertaining.
I must admit that I have received sarcastic references to some of my posts. It is sad that it happens. It does make a person hesitate to post. Must a person have some kind of credentials to have an opinion or make a suggestion? Make use of it if you can, put it away for a later date or ignore it. You make the call!
I had a "guest" on my boat some months back. He kept telling me what I must do and where to anchor the boat. I do not mind suggestions, but I make the call on what I consider to be the best information according to my knowledge. When I did not do what He said, He "informed" me that he was highly educated and must do what he said. I informed him I was deciding according to the information provided by ignorant local fishermen. They did not have the degrees, but they knew the local terrain and weather. I thank the local fishermen! If I had listened to my "guest", my boat would be on the rocks on one of the islands in Baja!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:38   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye429 View Post
Thanks I did find them online. But they didn't have a head gasket. A few things there I can use
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50   #157

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaters003 View Post
Thanks I did find them online. But they didn't have a head gasket. A few things there I can use
You're probably well beyond this, but if it helps I have a pdf from Mitsubishi which describes how to locate serial nos. on their engines. My boat also has a Westerbeke eng that is based on a Mitsubishi, but I've found that Westerbeke makes it difficult to cross-reference & source (non-marinized) parts. I have also found that many Westerbeke-branded parts have highly inflated prices.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So your going for an overhaul and not just a valve job?
What is a flow control valve? Thermostat?
Yes I will overhaul it. One injector was stuck open and I'm sure diesel washed the cylinder. Besides the head is off and won't take me much more time. Click image for larger version

Name:	1483894135065.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	139205 Click image for larger version

Name:	1483894237745.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	139207
Old 08-01-2017, 08:52   #159

Quote:
Yes I will overhaul it. One injector was stuck open and I'm sure diesel washed the cylinder. Besides the head is off and won't take me much more time. Attachment 139205 Attachment 139207
Flow control regulate the coolant and keeps the proper back pressure in the coolant system
Old 08-01-2017, 08:57   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You're probably well beyond this, but if it helps I have a pdf from Mitsubishi which describes how to locate serial nos. on their engines. My boat also has a Westerbeke eng that is based on a Mitsubishi, but I've found that Westerbeke makes it difficult to cross-reference & source (non-marinized) parts. I have also found that many Westerbeke-branded parts have highly inflated prices.
Your exactly right. There is a gag order. This basic little engine is used in every thing. A tractor supply is the best shot so far for parts. My issue is time but crossing the block number is possible. The blocks are in a series the one built right after yours might be in a fork lift or generator ect.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:58   #161

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
The bigger problem is that the vast majority of people just read posts and don’t bother to express their views.
This is the nature of all online forums, and has been since the days of BBSs and Usenet. Rule of thumb was about 10% of the users participate actively. The rest are there to read and learn and perhaps be entertained. Nothing new under the sun here.

I tend not to argue with reality. It is what it is. And personally I’ve got no problem with people ‘lurking’ and not contributing. In fact, I think this forum would be a lot more useful and interesting if some of us chose to lurk more and type less.

Might be less entertaining though .
Old 08-01-2017, 09:04   #162

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Your exactly right. There is a gag order. This basic little engine is used in every thing. A tractor supply is the best shot so far for parts. My issue is time but crossing the block number is possible. The blocks are in a series the one built right after yours might be in a fork lift or generator ect.
Yup. I finally figured out that my Mitsubishi-based 82B was used in many small tractors, and my Mazda-based, 3-cyl. genset in fork lifts. The trouble is that, in my case anyway, both of these engines are out of production. So parts directly from the eng. mfgs. can be had, but are often tough to find. Then you're stuck with Westerbeke prices. If that's the case, I've had very good service & prompt delivery from Torreson Marine a/k/a TOAD Marine Services.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:07   #163

Thumbs up Re: Wow! Disappointed With CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
NEED HELP MOVING ASAP. MY STUFF FROM ONE APARTMENT TO ANOTHER.

WInterhaven, Fl.
Now that's funny!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:10   #164

Boat: Mako 28

Strike Marine Salvage Sales, Inc.
Salvage Yard · Alandco
3635 SW 30th Avenue, Ft Lauderdale, 33312
LRM@MarineSalvageSale.com

They seem to be specializing in westerbeke parts
Old 08-01-2017, 09:14   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yup. I finally figured out that my Mitsubishi-based 82B was used in many small tractors, and my Mazda-based, 3-cyl. genset in fork lifts. The trouble is that, in my case anyway, both of these engines are out of production. So parts directly from the eng. mfgs. can be had, but are often tough to find. Then you're stuck with Westerbeke prices. If that's the case, I've had very good service & prompt delivery from Torreson Marine a/k/a TOAD Marine Services.
Often. The tool and die is sold off to developing countries or after market vendors. Problem there once located is quality control.
Closed Thread