Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 08:03   #31

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI 41 Ketch
Re: Wow! Disappointed With CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
And you are actually in Florida, and you are now doing what?

Here's my take. The couple bought a $12,000 boat that was listed as a "project boat", "instant liveaboard" (which in my circles, means the bottom looks like a reef, probably a blister nightmare, and incapable of maneuvering under its own power), and only reference to the engine was that it "started". And even the listing said have all details checked out and surveyed. The couple chose otherwise - no survey, no haulout, and apparently didn't even do a sea trial or remove it from dock until after purchased. And somehow managed to finance their purchase?

Yes, they made references to a broker being misleading, and the seller (who was ill and in need of an operation) making promises, wah, wah, wah. Of course none of this was in a contact, or in writing, ... And then ten pages of CF advice "you should sue." A waste of time, and money.

Which brings us to their call for help - wanting a tow of an engine-disabled boat out to sea. Through bridges. Which no one would rightly want to take on that responsibility. And their "need" for assistance was not so much because they didn't have the money, but instead because they hadn't budgeted for it. But in another post she was specific that they had budgeted for what was needed. And then near the end, a final post proclaiming the most important thing to them was to pay for college for second daughter. And in 30-something pages of pleas from members with mechanical know-how as to what engine model she had, she could never even come up with that.

Frankly, if she was my wife, instead of playing on the computer all day, she would be helping with boat projects. I'm sure there was plenty to do, on a boat that hasn't moved for years. OTOH, thanking her gofundme supporters and other "good people like us" for sending her money and best wishes was probably more fruitful.

So someone made a comment about not feeding the feral cats, or something. Although harsh, it is appropriate example. Here is a couple that apparently can't afford to get the financed boat home that they just purchased, so go to CF for financial help. (Or they can afford it, but would prefer that others pay for it instead. You tell me.) Yeah, before you explode, realize there were mechanics wanting to help and after 30 pages of pleas she still hasn't even provided an engine model. So you feed this stuff and the next post is going to be "OMG, look at these hull blisters, delam rudder, and we never budgeted for this. Can't afford it, can someone help us. Gofundme link attached."

The moderator shut that thread down appropriately. And now you want to reopen it. Hopefully they find this one and shut it down as well. But again, whether that happens or not, you are free to get off of your a** and go find the boat and help out. I have a marina in my backyard and have been there for a lot of boaters who seriously want a hand, and not a hand out.

As for CareBear, repair costs for a "project boat" that size could cost you so much more than the initial purchase to get it to seaworthy condition. You need to haul the boat, really understand the condition, and whether you have the financial ability, budget or desire to continue. Especially as you say your highest priority is your daughters college education. Florida is full of boats who owners resolute desire to "rescue" a boat, return to its former glory, and pursue the cruising lifestyle", have ended in financial disaster and broken dreams. Sometimes its better just to cut your losses. I sincerely wish you and your family the best in whatever the choice.
Well said[emoji106]
Old 07-01-2017, 08:08   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Stu is right on point. This particular thread degenerated quickly into nonsense, when the issues were pretty clear in retrospect. We had a buyer who was woefully unprepared for their predicament. Towing a disabled boat into open water was a ridiculous request. They obviously had gotten themselves into a bad place, and weren't really sure how to extricate themselves, and had neither the money nor the imagination to pull it off, nor were they open to the many helpful hands extended.

And no, I would not have towed that boat into open water. It would have been negligent, uncaring, and dangerous. Sometimes the best thing a buyer can do is walk away from a bad situation.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:11   #33

Boat: Baba 40

Bon voyage! Stay longer next time and experience more...
Old 07-01-2017, 08:12   #34

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
jinbunyard,

Here's the OP's first two posts:

Hi all my husband and I are in a slip in Ft. Lauderdale and are desperately needing someone to tow us to open water or close to open water. We are sailing up to Jacksonville but need to get towed through the bridges. If anyone has a suggestion or knows someone please reply. We dont have$ 200.00 an hour but can pay something. We need to get our boat home. Thanks all.

Thank you all for your responses. To update and clarify, we bought the 39 ft. Temple Marine from a private owner about a month ago in Ft. Lauderdale. We were supposed to be able to keep it at their private dock, however, the man took I'll family came down and we had to move it asap. This was after we bought her. We live in Jacksonville and we don't have the money to keep her in Ft. Lauderdale. But with the short time we had, we are running out of options to just get through the bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. To add.. We just got the insurance and tow package on her, but have to have it 30 days for them to cover the tow.

The OP obviously wants a tow out of Ft. Lauderdale and if you are familiar with Ft. Lauderdale you will know that once you go through the bridges and out to open water you are in the Atlantic ocean. I presume they felt that they could get the boat to Jacksonville after that.
I'm not going to argue with you, you've just proved my point.

So, just for Stu...I'm out....
Old 07-01-2017, 08:16   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

About this thread. Have you ever noticed that Cruiser's Forum's initials are CF, known in the military as "Charlie Foxtrot," standing for ".............." Coincidence? Sometimes things just get totally out of control and focus. Other times, it's all neat and tidy.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:19   #36

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Somebody say Trump??
Old 07-01-2017, 08:24   #37

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Dear Byrdman. I'm sorry you feel this way. I'm in "Oztralia" and I trust you will help CF folk close to you. I also trust that you are not related to music from "Radio Birdman" which crosses the continents. Please be nice in this forum. Regards sadly it seems. Alastair.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:26   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Within a few posts on the initial thread I could tell the story was more complicated than initially posed. And like with many threads on CF, I saw this one was headed off the rails. Me being too far away to actually do anything, offered the only sensible advice I had to offer: go talk to local boaters, face-to-face.

It’s amazing what gets lost in translation when we move human conversation to bits & bytes. So much is assumed on all sides of the discussion. So much basic communication becomes harder and more muted. And so often it seems the first to go —both the giving and receiving — is basic human compassion.

I don’t think this is a CF problem; it’s the nature of online communications. We lose a bit of our humanity in the Faustian bargain to gain broader and quick access to more people.

BTW, I exited the thread quite early. I’d said what I could. There was no need to add more. I did pop in occasionally to see what was up, but I eventually put it on ignore once it was clear it wasn’t going away.

I sense this thread is headed the same way...
Old 07-01-2017, 08:34   #39

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Somebody say Trump??
Godwin's law.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:37   #40

How is it that I understand what the guy is saying,BUT,, how can someone criticize how others are reacting while not reacting himself? If it bothers you that much why didn't you go help? I mean I thought about it but I'm too far away. But truthfully I think they put themselves in that spot as in most of us do, ultimately we ourselves are responsible for our own screw up, meaning maybe they bit off more than they can chew with buying the boat without a good plan..asking for a tow ? Really? Myslef would have rigged something! Even a temporary something to get you off the dock.. you know they used to not have engines at all! Man up or pay up...
Old 07-01-2017, 08:41   #41

They asked for help without details, so everyone was fishing in the dark. It's a bit like asking "what's the fastest route to the airport" without knowing what city they are in. They were not in jeopardy, they just got kicked out of their moorage.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53   #42

Boat: Formosa 41

NEED HELP MOVING ASAP. MY STUFF FROM ONE APARTMENT TO ANOTHER.

WInterhaven, Fl.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:00   #43

If one or two particularly rude individuals throws you off an entire community, I think adult life/cruising life/visiting diverse places is not for you.

Eh - the folks asking for help asked for specific bad help and anyone helpful enough but inexperienced would have put them in a worse situation. As facts trickle out - it became apparent that they can't financially afford a boat. Florida has so many abandoned wrecks.shrug. The world is how we find it.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:04   #44

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
That thread was a good example of what happens a lot here and out in the real world: starry eyed dreamers come up against the hard reality of life. Anyone who dares suggest ahead of time that their plan is stupid gets branded a cynic and anyone after the fact who suggests they made their bed and should now lay in it is called uncaring.

If that much reality offends you then probably it's best you don't stick around.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
AMEN !

Mae West
Old 07-01-2017, 09:06   #45

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Byrdman.. I'm in Portugal so all I could do was offer suggestions/advice.. notice your just 200 miles away.. a 3 hr drive..
Where were you..???
Its an open forum and like most things from as small as a Tiki Bar to as large as CF there's good and bad.. its called the Diversity of Life.

UR2SLO... back before the internet there were the 'old salts' who hung around the B'yards and marina's who's favourite pastime was looking on and shaking their heads..
"Tsk Tsk.. that'll never work" or similar.. later would they admit they were wrong.. no way.
Nothings changed.. its just gone global
Closed Thread