Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 00:27   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006
Smile Re: Yacht Registration and Insurance in Europe

I don't wish to get into a squabble - the Jersey registration has worked very well of me for 15 x years ( through a Jersey representative ) and has recently been renewed . It has worked well in Jersey and has worked just as well in practice in various Med countries . Good luck
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 01:06   #17

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Yacht Registration and Insurance in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Not trying to make incorrect statements, just providing clarification for others. Your situation doesn’t seem to fit the requirements for SSR registration in Jersey, unless your boat is owned not by you (as you have said you’re not resident there) but by a company that is resident in Jersey. That is an important clarification for anyone else who is thinking of registering with Jersey.

https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/

The Small Ships Register (SSR) offered by Jersey is ONLY for Jersey residents. You are not legally allowed to use the SSR if the owner is not a resident of Jersey.

If you are not a resident of Jersey then you can register on the British Register of Ships in Jersey. There are some citizenship qualifications for the owner and you must use a Jersey-resident company or individual as an agent.
Hi,

Our yacht is also registered in Jersey, it belongs to our South African registered company. We are part of the Common Wealth so this is perfectly legit.

We did it quite legally through Blue Water Supplies in Jersey. They were super helpful.

They also assisted with our radio licence. We have a certificate of British registry valid for 10 years with no further payments.

The below was taken directly from the link you provided:

Check if your vessel is eligible
Your vessel is eligible if:

you or your company are part of the Commonwealth, EU, British Isles, Crown Dependencies or Overseas Territories
your vessel is under 400 gross tons
You do not need to be resident in Jersey.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 06:47   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Yacht Registration and Insurance in Europe

You cannot legally use the U.K. SSR including jersey if you do not reside ( note reside ) in the U.K. /Jersey

In the past the registry was relaxed about simply accepting U.K. ( jersey ) addrssses but nowadays you will require proof of residency ( utility bills etc )

Note the stipulations directly from the Jersey SSR website

“Eligible vessels
Your vessel is eligible to be registered with the SSR if you meet all three of the following:
you’re resident in Jersey
the vessel is owned by an individual or individuals, not a company
the ship is under 24 metres (79 feet) in length

If your vessel is wrapped up in a company you may qualify for full part 1 registration, you can’t have a company owned vessel in the SSR legally ( and you never could )the SSR was specifically set up for U.K. individuals.
Old 14-06-2021, 06:54   #19
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthGregory View Post
Registration in Jersey -

1. Is very definitely registration on the " British Small Ships Register " .

2. You do require a Jersey Principal (So a company/ business registered in Jersey)

3.I certainly did not provide a false U K address .

4. Jersey is outside of the U K tax domain so no VAT ( If you are U K resident ,I believe you cannot register in Jersey on this basis )

5. I have been registered in Jersey for 15 years - VAT not paid , my yacht has been in the Mediterranean for the entire period .

It might be better to check your facts ,before making incorrect statements .

1 . Yes it is
2. You cannot register using a company name on any U.K. SSR
3. We can’t verify that so it’s moot
4. Yes
5. If it had remained in a EU country ( or collectively ) for periods greater then 18 months continuous then VAT is outstanding and it used to be only 6 months.

Loads of people don’t know the precise law and break it inadvertently , or simply by ignoring it. That doesn’t make the boat legit.
Old 14-06-2021, 07:00   #20
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi

I recently bought a yacht in Europe and I am wondering if I can get some recommendations regarding flag registration and insurance. My situation is that I have an Australian as well as Belgian passport. The boat is registered in the EU. I have to change the current registration flag to a country that accepts registration for people that are not permanently living in Europe (my main residence is in Australia). The Polish registration seems good. Anybody has any experience with registering their yacht under the Polish flag?

Secondly, it seems many insurers insuring a yacht in EU waters require an address in Europe before they can insure you. I can provide that for them, but they also want to have the flag registration done against that same address in Europe. This is not totally impossible but it means that any (physical) paperwork will be sent to that European address, with that person having to send it on to my Australian address etc. This is not ideal.

Can anyone recommend a good insurer that can work with the fact that the boat is EU registered but the person predominantly lives in a non EU country?

Any general recommendations about flag registration and insurers are welcome as well of course.

Thanks

Hugo

Polish is cheap but unless you speak polish and have someone in Poland to receive Mail , you’ll need to use an agent cost around €600-700

Dutch small boat registry was good but has been queried by sone countries including Italy France and Greece , hence less useful.

Full Dutch registry is expensive

Irish registry can be accessed if you appoint a local “ agent “ , who can be anyone resident. The process is long winded and you need an unbroken ownership trail of original documents , but it’s in English and cheap €120 plus tonnage survey expect the process to take 4 months.

I would definitely advise against any form of U.K. registration if you intend to keep the boat in the EU.
Old 14-06-2021, 08:17   #21

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
1 . Yes it is
2. You cannot register using a company name on any U.K. SSR
3. We can’t verify that so it’s moot
4. Yes
5. If it had remained in a EU country ( or collectively ) for periods greater then 18 months continuous then VAT is outstanding and it used to be only 6 months.

Loads of people don’t know the precise law and break it inadvertently , or simply by ignoring it. That doesn’t make the boat legit.
There is a difference between the Small ships register (SSR)(https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/smallshipsreg/) and the British Register of Ships in Jersey. (https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/fullregistration/)
As part of the Commonwealth, we are on the latter. It gives proof of title and ownership and is suitable to the best of my knowledge for cruising. I do not think the SSR gives proof of title and ownership. "Registration with the SSR costs le​ss than full registration but it does not provide proof of ownership and a marine mortgage cannot be recorded. If you require this, you should apply for full registration."

If you stay in any country too long VAT and duties will become an issue as they will assume the vessel is imported and you must then pay, irrespective of your vat status in another country....as far as I am aware!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 09:07   #22
Nearly an old salt

I was specifically replying to the issue of company boats or non residents on the SSR.

Full registration ( known as part 1 in the U.K. ) is different and will accept a wide variety of non residents including EEA for example provided an “ agent “ is appointed ( a U.K. resident )

Full part 1 registration is a legal proof of title and can have mortgages registered against it.

SSR is not a legal title and this has proved an issue in some Mediterranean countries

( I’ve had two boats , part 1 registered and 1 SSR )

VAT in the EU once paid only becomes payable again if the yacht leaves the EU customs area for more then 3 years or changes hands outside the EU . Other then that Vat once paid in any EU country cannot be legally demanded again in another

The three year leave rule is not enforced or enforceable
Old 14-06-2021, 09:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good insurer that can work with the fact that the boat is EU registered but the person predominantly lives in a non EU country?

Any general recommendations about flag registration and insurers are welcome as well of course.

Thanks

Hugo
I was in a similar situation: US resident (not citizen, at the time), so couldn't document in the US; UK citizen (not resident), so couldn't register in the UK. I chose Jersey full registration with the use of a local agent, for its affiliation to the UK registry, language support and relatively inexpensive costs. The biggest pain was having to arrange a tonnage survey for a boat in France but it gone done.

I insured through Topsail (UK) without significant problems.
conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 09:50   #24
Nearly an old salt

Many U.K. insurers are not writing non U.K. policies especially to EU boats /EU residents due to lack of passporting rights.

That system is unlikely to change any day soon

Tags
Europe, insurance, registration, rope, yacht