Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 12:56   #16

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
Re: Yacht survey without being there

Engage a yacht broker if you haven't already. Seller pays commission. If boat already has a listing broker, retain your own broker to represent you, the 2 brokers will split commission . This will give you greater protection and save you time buy not fooling around with basket cases. If all looks good with survey then your broker can go on sea trial with surveyor . Your broker will also most likely have personal knowledge of the boat you are looking at.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 16:59   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

We did once get a survey done on the other side of the world, by a shipwright who was recommended to us by 2 different (knowledgeable) friends and family. Somehow he missed 2 vitally important issues, one, that had we not found it could absolutely have cost us our lives. The other was unmissable when we got to the boat a few months later as it reeked of leaky diesel. He seemed remorseful later. I wonder had we been there too, would we have missed them also....perhaps the diesel leak had only begun in the meantime.....
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 17:42   #18

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakno View Post
Engage a yacht broker if you haven't already. Seller pays commission. If boat already has a listing broker, retain your own broker to represent you, the 2 brokers will split commission . This will give you greater protection and save you time buy not fooling around with basket cases. If all looks good with survey then your broker can go on sea trial with surveyor . Your broker will also most likely have personal knowledge of the boat you are looking at.
Boat is in the UK, presumably broker is as well, no broker in Europe will split commission with anyone. If he wants a broker he will have to pay for one.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 18:06   #19

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I would combine some of the recommendations already given. Hire a surveyor for a topline look at the boat for anything major - do some researching yourself on the make/year/model so you can suggest potential issues to surveyor or to prep yourself with questions for the surveyor. If initial survey comes back w/o detecting any major issues, I would hop on a plane and meet the surveyor at the boat for a thorough inspection. Considering what the boat will cost you, what's another thousand or 2 for a round trip ticket?
I commissioned a long-distant, topline survey which revealed the boat had been submerged (no waterlines on woodwork in pics) which cost me a $150 dollars but saved many thousands...
Good luck in your hunt.
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 18:20   #20

Hello,
Thank you all for all your responses.
I have viewed the boat a couple of times and she has been up for sale for awhile now. I will return to the UK when i have finished my travels and then take it on from there.

Thanks again regards from Dennis
den1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, yacht