Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 10:08   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Yachtworld, what's happening?

Since I located my own boat on Yachtworld, ten years ago, I have watched its website go from bad to worse, and now I think it’s about at rock-bottom.
I wanted to look at a boat someone told me about yesterday, and gave me the actual Yachtworld number, which should be the easiest way to find any boat on their website. I can’t find anywhere to actually put this number and the search button doesn’t work. There is nowhere else I can find.
There was a time, whenever you wanted to find a boat, the only word was “Yachtworld.” Not anymore.
Has anyone else had this experience? Brokers can't be very happy.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:28   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Yachtworld, what's happening?

I can only say their web user interface goes from bad **** of a mess to worse.

I do not know who runs their web design team but the person should be fired immediately.

Maybe just a sign of some deeper trouble withing that company though.

b.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:15   #3

Yep. The new search function SUCKS!!!

If I were a broker, paying good money to put my boats on there, I would be HUGELY ticked off!
Old 12-05-2020, 12:48   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

I would love to see a search on draft. For those of us on the east coast of the USA, it matters.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:58   #5

I actually think it’s fairly good right now. What am I missing?

I use the chrome browser on my phone. I bookmarked my search with the filters set and run it daily. I can see the number of listings (total count). With the advanced filters I can see the boats listed in the last x days, so I can see the “new” listings.

I’ve been doing this for about 6 months. Was expecting the number listed to increase in the Spring, but it has decreased by about 10%, presumably due to the virus.

I would like to know the prices the boats sell for, but that isn’t free.
Old 12-05-2020, 13:28   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

without the advanced search capability .. Yachtworld is very frustrating for me
Old 12-05-2020, 14:53   #7

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Since I located my own boat on Yachtworld, ten years ago, I have watched its website go from bad to worse, and now I think it’s about at rock-bottom.
I wanted to look at a boat someone told me about yesterday, and gave me the actual Yachtworld number, which should be the easiest way to find any boat on their website. I can’t find anywhere to actually put this number and the search button doesn’t work. There is nowhere else I can find.
There was a time, whenever you wanted to find a boat, the only word was “Yachtworld.” Not anymore.
Has anyone else had this experience? Brokers can't be very happy.

Go to the website, pick any boat. Once that page loads, in the url address, replace the numbers at the end of that with the boat numbers you were given for this listing you are trying to find. Then reload the page.

That should bring up the desired listing.

Ex: ' https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...a-470-3655113/ ' ... replace the 3655113 with the numbers you were given.
Old 12-05-2020, 15:29   #8

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Yes, Greenwave that works, but it’s hardly intuitive to new buyers is it? I’ve been looking at Yachtworld of twenty years, and it’s the first time I’ve had to do that.
I seem to remember it started to go downhill when it was taken over by a new buyer. But frankly I don’t care personally, I just thought it might have been me, or my computer. But from the few replies it isn’t.
Old 12-05-2020, 19:49   #9

This is the second thread this *month* about how Yachworld's search function sucks!

Too bad we don't have an old echo of an advanced search lurking in our phones like Chris31415 in Post #5.

(Chris - heads-up - there is no Advanced Search on Yachtworld anymore.)

Cheers all!
LittleWing77
Old 12-05-2020, 20:03   #10

To search the Great Lakes you have to first select United States, if you select Canada there is no Great Lakes option. WTF
Old 13-05-2020, 06:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Go to the website, pick any boat. Once that page loads, in the url address, replace the numbers at the end of that with the boat numbers you were given for this listing you are trying to find. Then reload the page.
And the fact that you have to jump through those kinds of hoops to get a listing is proof positive that the website SUCKS!!!

How can the yachtworld.com people be so incredibly stupid!!??!!
Old 13-05-2020, 06:18   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Can someone else try this and verify if it's just me screwing this up?

If I go to Yachtworld.com and type Morris or Morris Yachts in the search bar, none of their boats come up. If I look up Hinckley, Morris boats show up in the search.

This search works on the UK and Australian versions of Yachtworld, but not the US site. I've cleared the cache and tried on different browsers with VPNs, but the US site keeps missing specific brands of boat in my searches.

Matt
Old 13-05-2020, 06:49   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Yachtworld, what's happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Can someone else try this and verify if it's just me screwing this up?

If I go to Yachtworld.com and type Morris or Morris Yachts in the search bar, none of their boats come up. If I look up Hinckley, Morris boats show up in the search.

This search works on the UK and Australian versions of Yachtworld, but not the US site. I've cleared the cache and tried on different browsers with VPNs, but the US site keeps missing specific brands of boat in my searches.

Matt

Morris came up on my iPhone and iPad Typed into the filter section.
Old 13-05-2020, 09:23   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Agreed the web site sucks, but I just tried it and there seems to be a way to do advanced search functions.

I just did a search on a make and length (upper-right search input box.) Once I got some hits, on the right-hand side I could edit "Filters." At the bottom there are more under "Advanced Filters."

Yes, I know, that's not exactly what everyone wants. But there are options. It is too bad you can filter by length and not draft, but they can't even get the length right on all of them. I'm not sure how much I'd trust the draft results anyway.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I just did a search on a make and length (upper-right search input box.) Once I got some hits, on the right-hand side I could edit "Filters." At the bottom there are more under "Advanced Filters."
^^^This^^^^
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht