Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:00   #1

Boat: FP, Hellia, 44
Yanmar Low RPM's under load.

I have a 2015 FP which has Yanmar 3JH5E 40hp diesel engines with 1300 hours. The port side engine when running in neutral will rev up to 3500 rpm's. Once placed in forward, it will only go up to 2100 rpm's. At all times the exhaust is relatively clear. I have changed the engine oil, fuel filter, and water separator filter. This engine does not have an air cleaner filter. I have adjusted the throttle cable and pushing it forward does not increase the rpms. The exhaust elbow was removed, inspected, and was clean. The water pump">raw water pump is relatively new and has good flow. The diesel looks clean and I use an additive. The SD60 sail drive has new oil and the seals were replaced a couple of months ago. I have Kiwi folding prop's on both engines. The hull and prop's were recently professionally cleaned.
The starboard engine runs fine in forward and reverse.

What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.
Paddym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15   #2

Re: Yanmar Low RPM's under load.

Fuel flow. With a very clean portable container of fuel, disconnect the fuel line as close to the engine as possible and insert into the container. Run the engine. If it will get up to full speed then it is time to start chasing through the fuel system. If it won't, then the problem is on the engine.

PS - Welcome to CF.
PippaB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, rpm, yanmar