Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 14:00   #1

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II
Yanmar Rebuild Cost?

I'm considering the purchase of a 40+ foot boat with a Yanmar turbo that has high number of engine hours, so a rebuild has to be included in the financial equation. Can anyone give me an estimate of what it would cost to do so? Also, can anyone recommend someone in the Annapolis area who would be able to do a 1st class job?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 14:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar Rebuild Cost?

You need model, and you need to define what overhaul means to you as it means different things to different people.
Some want everything new to include accessories, starter alternator fuel pump, low and high pressure etc.
Some want only worn out parts replaced.
I’d call Mack Boring and ask their price
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 15:02   #3

Re: Yanmar Rebuild Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You need model, and you need to define what overhaul means to you as it means different things to different people.
Some want everything new to include accessories, starter alternator fuel pump, low and high pressure etc.
Some want only worn out parts replaced.
I’d call Mack Boring and ask their price
I believe it is a 3GM 63 HP unit. I'll call Mack Boring, but lets assume I want a complete rebuild including the items you mentioned. I'm looking for an "order of magnitude" number e.g $5K or $10K or $15K or $20K or more?
Old 09-06-2018, 15:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can’t give you an educated guess, sorry.
I’ve not contemplated having it done, only doing it myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 15:32   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
I believe it is a 3GM 63 HP unit. I'll call Mack Boring, but lets assume I want a complete rebuild including the items you mentioned. I'm looking for an "order of magnitude" number e.g $5K or $10K or $15K or $20K or more?
Your engine is more likely a 4JH variant. The 3GM was a 27hp engine with no turbo option.
but what pilot said is true. you need to define what an "overhaul" means to you. and price it out that way. You can buy a rebuilt 4JH for between 7-10k depending on options and variants.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 19:13   #6

Boat: Riva 48

My suggestion would be to attempt to do some of the work yourself. You will learn a ton and this is good knowledge. You can go to an online parts store for Yanmar to get an idea of what parts cost. Then for labor, typically you need to clean the valves, this is quite tedious with lots of small parts, best to drop it off with a shop a d ask them to do it for you (approx. $100 per cylinder). The rest of the work is just following the manual with a torque wrench. It is hard to to go wrong but make sure you write down and label everything as you go.

The expensive parts to replace are the high pressure fuel pump and the heat exchanger. Everything else is small. Some parts, like injectors, piston rings, shaft seals and bearings are best replaced. Others you need to decide on the spot. If unsure, take the part to a shop and ask for an opinion. At the end of two weeks or so you will know quite a lot about your engine. If you decide to go with a shop, I estimate $1,000 per cylinder max, including parts, unless you get very unlucky.

Good luck.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:33   #7

Boat: in the works

Out of curiosity, just how many hours?
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Out of curiosity, just how many hours?

4900 hours. And my plan is to buy a boat, as I am currently boatless, and take her to the Caribbean in November. So I want all the "controlable" issues addressed before my departure. And an engine with 4900 hours, even if it runs beautifully, is one.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:07   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

As for who to do it in the Annapolis area, no question, Bay Shore Marine, co-located at Jabin's Shipyard. They are a Yanmar dealer as well.

That said, they are so good they usually have a waiting period to get to you.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
My suggestion would be to attempt to do some of the work yourself. You will learn a ton and this is good knowledge. You can go to an online parts store for Yanmar to get an idea of what parts cost. Then for labor, typically you need to clean the valves, this is quite tedious with lots of small parts, best to drop it off with a shop a d ask them to do it for you (approx. $100 per cylinder). The rest of the work is just following the manual with a torque wrench. It is hard to to go wrong but make sure you write down and label everything as you go.

The expensive parts to replace are the high pressure fuel pump and the heat exchanger. Everything else is small. Some parts, like injectors, piston rings, shaft seals and bearings are best replaced. Others you need to decide on the spot. If unsure, take the part to a shop and ask for an opinion. At the end of two weeks or so you will know quite a lot about your engine. If you decide to go with a shop, I estimate $1,000 per cylinder max, including parts, unless you get very unlucky.

Good luck.

Doing the work myself is "beyond my pay grade", and the boat initially will be over 1000 miles from my home. In fact it will never be near my home. I would want a 1st class professional to do the work. I'm not trying to save money on this, rather I want to know what a fair price for the work would be so that if I make an offer on the boat reflecting that anticipated cost. Other than the 4900 hours on the meter, the boat fits a great number of my desired attributes.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
4900 hours. And my plan is to buy a boat, as I am currently boatless, and take her to the Caribbean in November. So I want all the "controlable" issues addressed before my departure. And an engine with 4900 hours, even if it runs beautifully, is one.
Understood. Piece of mind is priceless. I can't argue against anyone crossing their Ts when so many (look at Youtube) don't even bother to give a new to them boat a decent going through. If you do get a quote on a full rebuild, let me know what it was. I was planning to do this myself, but if the price is right having a shop do it frees me up to do other things.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:29   #12

Boat: Pearson 33-2

I'm $12K in on a 6BT Cummins, but it's a total rebuild. Line bored, rebuilt the head, worked over the injectors, water pump, batteries...……..You get the point. If you're just talking rings, rods and mains, and a gasket set..... quite a bit less. I think I'd want to pop test the injectors, do a compression test, and have a fluid analysis done before I tore into her. First do no harm, but I certainly understand your concerns.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:42   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
I'm $12K in on a 6BT Cummins, but it's a total rebuild. Line bored, rebuilt the head, worked over the injectors, water pump, batteries...……..You get the point. If you're just talking rings, rods and mains, and a gasket set..... quite a bit less. I think I'd want to pop test the injectors, do a compression test, and have a fluid analysis done before I tore into her. First do no harm, but I certainly understand your concerns.
Ouch! you know you can buy a professionally remanufacturedt 6BT for half that!!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Ouch! you know you can buy a professionally remanufacturedt 6BT for half that!!!
Cummins Crate Engine | Cummins 6B, 6BT, 6BTA 5.9L Engine Long Block
Old 10-06-2018, 06:57   #15

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Not with 1,000 HP you can't.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild, yanmar