Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 14:05   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: You Tuber Sinks

"how can you prevent this properly? Double clamping?"
Also helps if you eyeball everything from time to time. And if some cheapass just used some old rubber hose twenty years ago...be aware that the folks who make rubber hoses and belts all say they should be replaced every five years. If you have rubber parts that show ANY sign of cracking, checkering, deterioration? Replace 'em. Preferably with something better. If there's "stuff" stowed under a cabinet, banging against a thru-hull or hose? Clean it out.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:41   #32

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

The Trudesign seacocks look like a good alternative to marelon.
Old 09-10-2017, 14:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Marelon fittings don't shear off, they remain flexible, so for example, if you hit one continuously with a sledge hammer it deforms but does not break. That's why people pay big money for them.
Are you really sure you had Marelon?
Once this happened to you, did you inform the manufacturer?
The boating world does not buy Marelon to have things like this happen....if they really shear off, then the boating world would not buy them. They are a critical item.
My experience is the handles shear off. It's a design issue. The little shaft to the ball that the handle attached to is really small diameter. Too much resistance and "snap". And resistance occurs with plastic even without growth, try turning one sitting at West Marine on the shelf, most often they are almost impossible to turn in the larger sizes.
That being said, I doubt they are going to fail in a way that leaks. They are SUPER tough. One of mine broke the handle and it was hell getting the mushroom out of the hull. A cold chisel would not cut it. I finally taped a hack saw blade and cut the mushroom into segments that I then had to chisel out. They arent breaking where leakage occurs.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:52   #34

it would be interesting for us if mainsail could use his test equipment to test Trudesign for a comparison
Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
That makes the most sense and would be my guess. Don't know how you would guard against, either, other than check, check, and recheck. It's a shame, too.
Curious to know if it was a hose clamp issue - either mis-mounted or corroded to failure. My rule is if you're going to be off the boat Never leave a thru hull open unless you absolutely have too.

For the air conditioning crowd, it is really only the fan in the AC providing the air circulation which in turn keeps the mold away. You might instead turn off the AC, close the thru-hull to save your boat, and then turn on your cabin fans instead when you are away. A solar exhaust fan helps as well.

On double-clamping I can't tell you right or wrong but if you do double up be very sure your second clamp is compressing on the barb proper and not compressing on the "barb taper". On the taper the second clamp can more easily cut the hose and also force the hose in the off-barb direction. Too tight or too loose are BOTH big problems with hose clamps. It takes a lot of care to complete something which can seem so simple while "working around a blind corner, in an extended yoga pose, sweat pouring off you, while the flat head slides around in the slot."

To verify hose clamp material put a magnet to it. If there's an attraction you have some ferrous present and not high quality stainless. Checking your installed clamps and also spares is a quick exercise.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 16:22   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Haven't watched their videos, but from a discussion at the marina last night, it seems they hadn't left the boat for long. They were just out provisioning for an afternoon. I don't know many full time cruisers that close their seacocks every time they finish using a device (like the head). We leave ours open unless the boat is left for an extended period of time.

We see people pulling and replacing seacocks and through hulls just about every day in the yard. Always seems strange they go through this amount of trouble/cost and then put on the same old hose.

Matt
I certainly dont, but if away for an extended period I do close them all.

I think failure, with out impact, of a thru hull is pretty rare, but Ive seen a number of boats sunk in the slip by failed hoses.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 17:07   #37

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xslim View Post
about double clamping - i have here a possibility either to double clamp or to use a very big strong wide single clamp... which one is better - no idea...
Double clamping below the waterline is an ABYC requirement (as stated before).. Two clamps will always provide more redundancy than just one!

Sent from mTalk
Old 09-10-2017, 17:47   #38

Boat: Catalina 470

I have Marlon. I haven't had enough experience with them to make an informed judgement. They come standard on the Catalina 470.

I like the idea of non corrosive metals in that area of the boat.

I sold my previous boat which was a Freedom 32 last year. I'd just finished cruising the west coast of Sumatra and was on the hard at Phuket. The largest through hull sea cock and deepest had developed a little weap and was hard to turn. On the hard I gave it a light tap and the hole thing snapped off, the joiner between the seacock and through hull broke completely creating a 2 inch hole.

The inplications of this happening at sea on the west coast of Sumatra are very frightening.

And I maintained that boat. Scary stuff.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 17:57   #39

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

We have only two below waterline thru hull fittings and they are in separate lockers watertight to well above the waterline. If there is a failure only one small compartment would be filled, maybe 20 gallons of water. Many boats could take this modification.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 18:20   #40

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I certainly dont, but if away for an extended period I do close them all.

I think failure, with out impact, of a thru hull is pretty rare, but Ive seen a number of boats sunk in the slip by failed hoses.
The wire in reenforced hose has a bad habit of wicking water well up the cut end. When I purchased my boat, I saw my galley drain hose brake just above the seacock from this. Two hose clamps won't help you here!

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 19:10   #41

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
The wire in reenforced hose has a bad habit of wicking water well up the cut end. When I purchased my boat, I saw my galley drain hose brake just above the seacock from this. Two hose clamps won't help you here!
Here you go..... suggested 10 yr lifespan.

Don't Get Hosed By Busted Hoses - BoatUS Magazine

Matt
Old 09-10-2017, 19:25   #42

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Well, regardless of why it's a sad thing to have happen to anyone. Can anyone of us imagine how we would feel if our boat sank? The second guessing we would put ourselves through would be endless for quite some time I would suspect. We all do what we believe to be correct in the way of preventative maintenance, but every once in a while we can be wrong, and it can turn out to be a very big deal for the worse.
Those two, and their dog are good folk from what I can tell from their vids, and I for one hope the can get back to sailing, they so obviously enjoy it a lot.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 19:42   #43

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Well, regardless of why it's a sad thing to have happen to anyone. Can anyone of us imagine how we would feel if our boat sank? The second guessing we would put ourselves through would be endless for quite some time I would suspect. We all do what we believe to be correct in the way of preventative maintenance, but every once in a while we can be wrong, and it can turn out to be a very big deal for the worse.
Those two, and their dog are good folk from what I can tell from their vids, and I for one hope the can get back to sailing, they so obviously enjoy it a lot.

Heck yeah! They seem to have a positive attitude...they'll bounce back quickly.

Matt
Old 09-10-2017, 19:57   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Here you go..... suggested 10 yr lifespan.

Don't Get Hosed By Busted Hoses - BoatUS Magazine

Matt
Wow, that engine intake hose in the article is sickening.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 20:08   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
I agree, they are real people
who share how they actually feel.
Unfortunately some other popular Youtubers
act and look like they are from central casting.
Just not real. Even saw a 20 minute speach
by one about Not Wearing PFD'S and tethers.
Really hope nobody dies as a result of
internet irresponsibility
That said I 'm glad
Wicked Salty sunk at a mooring
and not at sea., better to read about a sinking
and not a double drowning.
I'd like to see these kids get back out on the water
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote