Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 10:25   #1

Young Cancer Survivors Dream

Hey Friends,

I'm hoping for some advice from the salty dogs on this forum.

Last year, I (29M) was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer that had metastasized into my lungs, chest, and lymph nodes. The doctors gave me a 50% chance to survive 5 years. I went through intense chemo and had some major surgeries. They split me open front and back (Sternotomy/Thoracotomy) and took out half my lung, 7 lymph nodes, the tumors, and a bunch of nerves.

After a few more surgeries early this year, I am in remission! I have had scans and blood tests, and the cancer is nowhere to be found! However, there is still a risk it will return and if it does it is pretty much game over.

I live near Annapolis and have been a sailor my whole life, ever since I could walk. I grew up racing Lasers, 420s, and FJs. But I have always wanted to sail bigger boats, make passages, and explore the oceans.

While I was going through chemo, I promised myself that if I survived into 2024, I would go sail some big boats. As soon as my body could handle it, my girlfriend and I booked a trip to the US Virgin Islands, and we got our ASA 101, 103, 104, and 114 on a Leopard 44 with a fantastic instructor. I loved it so much that a month later, I decided to bareboat charter and captain a FP Lucia 40 with my family. The Lucia trip went so well that a few months later, I convinced all my friends to go on another bareboat charter trip on a massive FP Saba 50. I got that thing going over 10 knots, and it was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life. The trips went smoothly, and my friends were mind-blown by the beauty of the USVI and the joys of sailing.

After these incredible experiences, I am yearning to buy my own boat. I want the freedom to sail wherever and whenever. I even think about possibly living aboard. There is nothing on this earth I love more than being on the water. Sailing, fishing, snorkeling, surfing - these are the things that make me happiest. I was miserable before the cancer, and after the cancer, I am shattered. My hope is that this lifestyle could bring me back to life.

Over the years, I have saved up $180k for a boat fund. My financial state is good and I have a well paying job. I have a house with a low mortgage (could rent it out and cover the mortgage).

I haven't zeroed in on a boat yet, but I am looking at monohulls in the 35-50 foot range. I have been considering newer production boats (like Beneteau) for their low maintenance needs but also older more sea-kindly boats (like Tayana). Some specific boats I have been considering include: Tayana 37, Passport 47, Pacific Seacraft, Island Packet, Beneteau Oceanis 38. I would love a catamaran but I can’t afford it. Maybe an old FP Mahe 36 or Gemini.

I would love to keep the boat near Annapolis for a time and eventually sail it down to the carribean. I am considering living aboard and either working on the boat (I work remotely) with a Starlink or quitting my job entirely.

Some of my concerns include - Should I buy a boat? Is it stupid so soon after cancer? Should I try living aboard with my girlfriend? What if I can’t handle the maintenance?

Any and all advice is welcome!!
ZanderTheBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote