Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 14:51   #16

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)
Re: Your 2022 Crusing Agenda

Exploring Maine/Nova Scotia (maybe Newfoundland and SP/M!), then pointing the bow south in the fall. Caribbean is the plan for winter 2022/2023
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 15:01   #17

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ah, what a joyful thread. Thanks Mac.

Our plans are to head to the boat in June over in Newfoundland. It will have been nearly 2 1/2 years on the hard by then, so I'm expecting to have some issues to deal with.
We just returned from 7 weeks in Tahiti, where our boat has been sitting in the water for about 2.5 years. When we left it we thought we would be gone for maybe 6 months max and stored things appropriately. The number of issues we encountered was mind boggling - it was like a project boat, because that is what it has become. Everything that could be stale dated was, and leaking "dry cells" caused an enormous amount of damage in those items from which they had not been removed (I have a list of items from which I always remove the batteries).

But, I don't want to divert the thread on a happy topic like cruising. We are fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to have two boats. Our BC cruising plans include the Broughton's and Desolation Sound because we didn't make it there last year.
Old 03-12-2021, 18:18   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II

We have sorely missed our BC friends for two summers. It was a privilege to enjoy our previous cruising vacations in BC or the North Channel. We are planning to spend a few weeks on the outside of Vancouver Island. This cruise may be our last “summer vacation” as we transition to full-time cruising.
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 19:14   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We are definately hoping to get to Newfoundland, but no to wintering. I'm done with winter[emoji274] so weather will be the dictating factor on how far we get.
I'm not sure yet if we will follow the coast south in the fall, or hold off a bit and hit the Caribbean via burmuda. It's still too far away to actually have a plan, more like wishful thinking.
Hopefully we can meet up somewhere, we have been close on a couple occasions.
I sure hope you get back aboard in the spring and get some time on the water! It's been a tough couple years for your sailing ability
It would be great if you can make it up as far as NL, but it's a long way, and there's so much to see in just the Maritimes. Either way, it sounds like great "wishful thinking."

It would be great if we can connect. I might need some pointers on how the big white floppy rags work -- it's been so long .

Thanks Marathon. I'm prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best.
Old 03-12-2021, 19:27   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Mike (and others), our plan is down the St Lawrence and along the north shore probably to Red Bay in Labrador and then across to the island. Likely wintering the boat in Lewisporte. Send them a query today about storage. Very busy this winter doing a major refit to Nonsuch, starting with decks and moving on to plumbing, electrical, and other stuff.
Old 03-12-2021, 19:34   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Mike (and others), our plan is down the St Lawrence and along the north shore probably to Red Bay in Labrador and then across to the island. Likely wintering the boat in Lewisporte. Send them a query today about storage. Very busy this winter doing a major refit to Nonsuch, starting with decks and moving on to plumbing, electrical, and other stuff.
That's great. We'll probably see you then. Lewisporte is a great marina/YC. Let me know if I can help with making contact. Brian Snow (the manager) can be a bit slow to respond, especially during busy times, but he usually gets back to you.

Hpeer also has a boat based there. Maybe we can have a CF Rendezvous.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:40   #22

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

We will bounce the historic towns on Lake Ontario south shore, then up into thousand islands. Then slip into Canada. Depending on conditions we may even tell them we’re there. So easy to get lost, all those islands look the same.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 20:57   #23

I'm planning to extend my local Gulf Island season by employing a new portable pressure washer. You know, the one Santa got on sale last week at Canadian Tire but wasn't supposed to tell me about? The one he learned about right here on CF? The one they claim will save my legs, back and knees?

Yup, that one.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:25   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Looking forward to it for a long time and now unemployed/retired, we are departing 26 December for a six week shakedown cruise through the FL Keys, out to the Dry Tortuga's, and up the West coast to the Tampa area.

We're not sure about the rest of 2022, but we have discussed heading up the US East Coast to Maine or spend some time exploring the Bahamas.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:49   #25

Boat: Irwin 43 MkIII

We are leaving the Great Lakes in '22 after sailing the upper 4 of them on a 66 day trip last summer. Not yet sure which way we will go to get to New England and then south. We have already done the ditch, so the seaway appeals to us. The extra distance and fog concerns us.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:55   #26

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRodems View Post
We are leaving the Great Lakes in '22 after sailing the upper 4 of them on a 66 day trip last summer. Not yet sure which way we will go to get to New England and then south. We have already done the ditch, so the seaway appeals to us. The extra distance and fog concerns us.
That would be an incredible trip.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:41   #27

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

So some of you are sailing the Maritime Provinces without stopping at the Magdalen Islands ?
What's wrong with you ? It's only a day sail from PEI, NS or QC and a two days sail from NL.
My wife would say you are missing the most beautiful sand beaches in Canada. I know, Ontario has Sand Banks beaches and it's beautiful. But that water does not smell salt

I would say you're missing the most delicious Lobster rolls (in the universe) at Cap Dauphin fish shack https://goo.gl/maps/xkSqH74UY84Npt8V7

As for my 22 sailing plans ... hmmm ... maybe a new boat ? will know in 2 weeks and will see from there.

Enjoy ... the scenery !

scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:38   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Keeping with the Canadian theme,......

...While waiting for the locals to get vacinated, we have been in hibernation until 2 weeks ago, due to a slew of Positive tests and covid deaths around us.

Finished installing new Excel anchor roller and chalks today

New Lithium system, Fredom WON (great name) will get installed prior to Xmas break.

Then drydock in January before heading off to Busuanga to revisit the Zebras and Giraffes, before disappearing amongst the inlets and islands of southern Coron and Halsey harbour, where the wild tiger prawns roam.

It will be so nice to get away from all the constant fear and crazy rules of a frightened community, where our only mandates are to keep a good weather eye and the beer cold Click image for larger version

Name:	1%20Calamain%20Group%20001.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	249314Click image for larger version

Name:	9%20Culion%20Island.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	249315Click image for larger version

Name:	9a%20Prawns%20DSC_0032.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	249317
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:42   #29

Boat: Leopard 47

A new undertaking.
We'll buy a catamaran very soon, probably in Florida; refit, sea test extensively. Then sail south. I like the plan of Dry Tortugas, Cuba (Hemingway Marina), the Yucatan, Belize.
Then plan shelter for the hurricane season.
My wife and will sail, and we'll be joined by friends and family for many days at a time.
I seek a crew to sail with us, hopefully for several months. No skill necessary, just muscle and tenacity.

Oz
Old 04-12-2021, 09:11   #30
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Our plan is to get to NS perhaps to Newfoundland.
If things turn ugly again, we'll just have to cruise our coast of Maine...again.
96 days this past summer along the coast from Portland to Cutler.
The saying goes, "Why go anywhere else when you're already there."
Homeport is Rockland, ME.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d5&oe=61D12B10
OBT is offline   Reply With Quote