Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 09:43   #31

Boat: J/42
Re: Your 2022 Crusing Agenda

Still a little hard to believe but it’s looking like 2022 is the year to move aboard and cut the dock lines! Hard to make exact plans because one doesn’t know just how the land-liquidation is going to play out. But plan A is head up to the Salish Sea in mid-spring for the summer. Plan B might be a “quick” haul-out for new bottom and a few mods.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:10   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The Peloponnese for me and maybe the Turkish islands for 2022. With the recent devaluation Turkey is looking like good value at present.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:27   #33

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I am so looking forward to visiting BC again! I keep the boat in the San Juan’s and it has been tourture just gazing across the straits and not being able to sail over.

On the plus side, I’ve gotten to throughly explore the south sound areas I have not visited since I was a boy, However, it does not compare to the inside passage.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:52   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Hopefully Santa will be handing us the keys to our boat the week before xmas. Will be home based in Point Roberts, Washington and hopefully sailing at least a couple weekends a month through winter and then as much as we can until summer when we will take July and August off to explore. I think we stay South of vancouver this season and explore San Juans and gulf islands. We plan to move our boat up to Coal Harbour in 2023 and then will be spending the next year north.
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:38   #35

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

There are 23 ports or anchorages in A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast where I've never been.

My agenda for 2022 is to visit as many of them as I can.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:40   #36

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

We will bring the boat back to NC from Florida (Stuart) in March, assuming boatyard work (new engine, etc) is complete by then. In October I'll head south to S. Florida to cross to the Bahamas. I'll leave the boat either in Green Turtle Cay, or possibly further south until January, when I will be retired, and then I'll head down the Exumas to Great Inagua, jump to Haiti (Ile a Vache), and then work my way east to the Windward Islands. That's the plan. Screw COVID....;-)

If any of you have personal experience sailing Great Inagua to Ile a Vache, I'd love to hear your thoughts on that route.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:05   #37

Boat: AP36 Princess 36'

PNW is where I learned to sail. I spent most summers in the nineties wandering around the Gulf islands and the Strait of Georgia in a series of funky fixer uppers. Eventually did a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island. When I reconnected with a former partner and moved to Brooklyn, NY one of my conditions was that we get a boat and do lots of sailing. She had been with me on the trip around Vancouver island. In two different boats, over ten years, we cruised different parts of the eastern seaboard from Nova Scotia to Dominica. I did the 'ditch', we spent three months in the Bahamas and on another trip sailed to BVI , then island hopped through the antilles.

We moved back to Port Townsend last year, with our boat, because i really wanted to sail again in the PNW while i was still able--I'll be eighty in a month. Like others have posted here it was frustrating to be in the san juans and to look across to Pender island and revisit in my mind past trips north.
Next summer we are planning an extended trip up the 'inside' then on to the northern BC coast and returning via the Queen Charlottes and the west coast of Vancouver island.
mike carder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:34   #38

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We have been fortunate enough to continue cruising year around during the C19 pandemic. Our strategy has been to stay in home [Alaskan] waters, and take advantage of harbors as convenient/ necessary during extended periods of less desirable weater. [We average 60-90 days in harbor each year.]

The last few years we have deeply explored the NNE Pacific coast [Alexander Archipellago- or what land dwellers call SE Alaska.]

Beginning in 2022, we have been planning to revisit and further explore many additional areas along the Gulf of Alaska.

Our current intensions include Prince William Sound [where we kept a boat for 14 years] and surrounding areas [e.g. Kenai Peninsula]; Kodiak Island and the Alaska Peninsula; and when time and Wx permit, work our way out the Aleution chain.

This will likely consume the next few years of our meandering in local waters...

We have been lucky enough to befriend many other cruisers during all of this- partly because of the comfort provided by the isolation [i.e., quarantine] inherent with cruising less frequented remote areas.

Best wishes to all who desire to get back out there.

Cheers! Bill
Old 04-12-2021, 14:32   #39

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
We have been fortunate enough to continue cruising year around during the C19 pandemic. Our strategy has been to stay in home [Alaskan] waters, and take advantage of harbors as convenient/ necessary during extended periods of less desirable weater. [We average 60-90 days in harbor each year.]

The last few years we have deeply explored the NNE Pacific coast [Alexander Archipellago- or what land dwellers call SE Alaska.]

Beginning in 2022, we have been planning to revisit and further explore many additional areas along the Gulf of Alaska.

Our current intensions include Prince William Sound [where we kept a boat for 14 years] and surrounding areas [e.g. Kenai Peninsula]; Kodiak Island and the Alaska Peninsula; and when time and Wx permit, work our way out the Aleution chain.

This will likely consume the next few years of our meandering in local waters...

We have been lucky enough to befriend many other cruisers during all of this- partly because of the comfort provided by the isolation [i.e., quarantine] inherent with cruising less frequented remote areas.

Best wishes to all who desire to get back out there.

Cheers! Bill
Good on you, Bill. This looks like a fantastic place to explore. Lots of nooks and stuff...

One day I'll get up there...

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/17360.pdf
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:25   #40

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul

Cruising agenda?
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:07   #41

We cruised the South coast of Newfoundland in 2019, and considered leaving our boat there for the winter, to return in 2020. We changed plans, and considered leaving the boat in Nova Scotia instead. Fortunately, we changed plans yet again and sailed back to Maine with the intention of returning to NF in 2020; otherwise, out boat would have been sitting on the hard for 2 1/2 years. Instead, we've spent the past two summers dodging lobster pots on the coast of Maine, and visiting some of the harbors that we have missed in the past. Hopefully, Canada will remain open for foreign cruisers this summer.

Bob S
1983 Baba 35
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:19   #42

Boat: Catalina 42 MK II

As soon as the weather presents the window, we plan on Galveston to the Keys. Spend a couple weeks working our way up to Key Biscayne and then to Bimini. In mid January we will be serving at a Youth Camp on Eleuthera. Bounce around the Bahamas until late Spring and then up to Chesapeake Bay for the summer months.

We will be posting progress on our web page.
OrignalBudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:40   #43

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrasseul View Post
Cruising agenda?
Lol. Some of us have to plan...if only to plan how we can get to a place where we don't have to plan
Old 10-12-2021, 07:42   #44

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

New York City area... Long Island Sound... Block Island and Martha's Vineyard in the Spring. Coastal Maine in the Summer. And, hopefully down NYC>BVIs in October.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:52   #45

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I plan to head North out of Tasmania just before Easter up the East Coast of Australia and che k out in Cannes. I will join the Sail Indonesia Rally and figure out where to spend the Cyclone season before heading across to Africa and eventually on to Spain. COVID willing
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote