Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 08:55   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Your 2022 Crusing Agenda

It occurs to me it's been a long time since I posted something actually related to cruising. So I thought I would start a thread to see what everyone has planned for 2022.

Note: subject to change and travel restrictions.

We plan to board the boat in Nanaimo British Columbia, Canada) at the end of April and make our way to Victoria for ~2 weeks where my partner has a teaching gig at Royal Rhodes. Probably hanging out mostly in Esquimault with lots of day sails. Then it will be a quick trip north to Desolation where we may join the Calgary Yacht Club's annual flotilla. After that it depends if we can get June off or not. If we do it will be up to the Broughtons for a month or so, and if not then back down to the Gulf Islands until it's time to go home.

How about the rest of you? If for some reason we can't make it (for the third bloody year in a row) then at least I can follow along vicariously...
Old 03-12-2021, 09:14   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch
Re: Your 2022 Crusing Agenda

2022 is the final full summer in Lake Erie, as we have finally set the date of 2023 for the great escape!
So from a cruising perspective, it'll be final trips to the islands and the west end of Lake Erie and do a few 'stress tests' on the boat so we can get any final repairs/upgrades done ( I know that doesn't really end- just hopefully puts it off a while)
Also, looking at things from a different view- certain things that work when you are land based vs being on the boat fulltime. And getting rid of 'stuff' .............where did all this come from?
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:19   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Our main goal is Thunder Bay and east along the north shore if we are allowed to enter Canada. Maybe the Slate Islands.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:21   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsumurun View Post
2022 is the final full summer in Lake Erie, as we have finally set the date of 2023 for the great escape!
That's awesome. Good luck!
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsumurun View Post
So from a cruising perspective, it'll be final trips to the islands and the west end of Lake Erie and do a few 'stress tests' on the boat so we can get any final repairs/upgrades done ( I know that doesn't really end- just hopefully puts it off a while)
Also, looking at things from a different view- certain things that work when you are land based vs being on the boat fulltime. And getting rid of 'stuff' .............where did all this come from?
Here's hoping 2023 will a relatively unfettered cruising year
Old 03-12-2021, 09:57   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

No kidding Mac!

I guess we all have to adopt to our new normal, whether we want to or not; I don't think it will ever go back to the 'before times'.
We just need to learn to go with it!

Thanks Steffan!
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:15   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ah, what a joyful thread. Thanks Mac.

Our plans are to head to the boat in June over in Newfoundland. It will have been nearly 2 1/2 years on the hard by then, so I'm expecting to have some issues to deal with.

Ideally, we'll be in the water by end of June, and then we plan to resume our exploration of Notre Dame Bay, between Fogo Island and Cape St. John. Fogo, Twillingate, Moreton's Harbour, all around the circle . Hopefully we'll be gone most of the summer.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:22   #8

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We have been quite fortunate with our cruising grounds. The Bahamas have remained open, with continually changing restrictions, but workable.
We just crossed over at the beginning of the week and should be here for the next 5 months or so.
If everything goes as planned...[emoji56]
We will head up the east coast in the spring with the hopes of making it to the maritime provinces. Hopefully Mike will be aboard and afloat when we get there!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:16   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We will head up the east coast in the spring with the hopes of making it to the maritime provinces. Hopefully Mike will be aboard and afloat when we get there!
Cool! Don't suppose you're gunning for Newfoundland?

Our plan is to resume our plan from 2019, and spend at least a couple more seasons exploring The Rock (and maybe parts of The Big Land), before making our next move; most likely south.

Are you planning to winter the boat in the Maritimes? Maybe we'll be able to connect, if not on the water, then on land.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ah, what a joyful thread. Thanks Mac.

Our plans are to head to the boat in June over in Newfoundland. It will have been nearly 2 1/2 years on the hard by then, so I'm expecting to have some issues to deal with.

Ideally, we'll be in the water by end of June, and then we plan to resume our exploration of Notre Dame Bay, between Fogo Island and Cape St. John. Fogo, Twillingate, Moreton's Harbour, all around the circle . Hopefully we'll be gone most of the summer.
Make sure you get down to Trinity and environs. We did it by car and it's some beautiful country. Not that most of Nfld isn't...

Oh and St. Pierre on your way out... the wine store was mind boggling for us Canadians
Old 03-12-2021, 11:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We have been quite fortunate with our cruising grounds. The Bahamas have remained open, with continually changing restrictions, but workable.
We just crossed over at the beginning of the week and should be here for the next 5 months or so.
If everything goes as planned...[emoji56]
Have you been back in YEG during all this? It's a skating ring out this week with some people literally donning their skates and skating down residential roads. The Bahamas sound so nice right about now.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:05   #12

Boat: Bristol 29.9

After three years full-time we decided to take this winter off and spend it in Southern California. We miss the boat terribly and will be back in Connecticut April 1st to pick up where we left off. In the fall we’ll point the bow south to head for the Bahamas again. Can’t wait!
Old 03-12-2021, 13:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Cool! Don't suppose you're gunning for Newfoundland?

Our plan is to resume our plan from 2019, and spend at least a couple more seasons exploring The Rock (and maybe parts of The Big Land), before making our next move; most likely south.

Are you planning to winter the boat in the Maritimes? Maybe we'll be able to connect, if not on the water, then on land.
We are definately hoping to get to Newfoundland, but no to wintering. I'm done with winter[emoji274] so weather will be the dictating factor on how far we get.
I'm not sure yet if we will follow the coast south in the fall, or hold off a bit and hit the Caribbean via burmuda. It's still too far away to actually have a plan, more like wishful thinking.
Hopefully we can meet up somewhere, we have been close on a couple occasions.
I sure hope you get back aboard in the spring and get some time on the water! It's been a tough couple years for your sailing ability
Old 03-12-2021, 13:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Have you been back in YEG during all this? It's a skating ring out this week with some people literally donning their skates and skating down residential roads. The Bahamas sound so nice right about now.
We went back for acouple months in the summer. Both our kids, and my family live there still so we have been getting updates.
I sure prefer seeing turtles swim by, than pileups on the QE2.
Stay warm, and safe!
Old 03-12-2021, 13:18   #15

Boat: Valiant 42

Splash April. A few projects remaining on refit. Summer cruising out of RI to MV, Nantucket, Maine and NS. South with everyone else in Nov to USVI and beyond. After that? Don't know. Not important :-)
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote