Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 14:16   #31

Boat: Outremer 55L
YouTube sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
OT anecdote:
skinny dipping with the lady in an alpine lake:
I. "...always uneasy in belly-stroke what with the jewels hanging down..."
the lady, tone heavily ironic: "..afraid to drag it along on the bottom ha?"

I always have the same thought when swimming nude off the boat (that said, when seasonally appropriate I’m nude on board most of the time anyway). My fiancé is not ironic when she says that

Also swim off the boat while sailing, but I guess I’m old as I only jump off if we’re going slower than 3 knots. Set up a floating rope behind, then dive of the front beam. Always an amazing experience regardless of 2m or 2000m depth. I once (over 20 years ago) towed behind with the boat going 8 knots and nearly drowned - never again at that kind of speed.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 15:27   #32

Re: YouTube sailing.

That’s it, I’m trying it when I get home to the Puget Sound. No great whites just killer whales but I can see them coming...hopefully
Old 11-01-2018, 15:34   #33

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I hear the killer whales like those meals with red and yellow board shorts.
Old 12-01-2018, 16:41   #34

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVikingo View Post
That’s it, I’m trying it when I get home to the Puget Sound. No great whites just killer whales but I can see them coming...hopefully
Brrrrrrrrr!
Old 12-01-2018, 18:59   #35

First time I did it on the Chesapeake Bay, as soon as I grabbed the line, I was smothered by a big jellyfish right on the kisser. Think of that every time I do it, but it hasn’t stopped me in the 30+ years since (Med, Red, Coral, Carib, ...). Everyone measures risk differently.
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 17:06   #36

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I'm not sure if it was Moitessier or Tristan Jones, but one of them tied themselves to a line to hammer some copper nails back in the bottom and looked over and a huge shark swam right up next to him. There are also videos you can find on you tube of sharks following sailboats. They used to follow the cruise ships too when they used to throw the garbage right out the door on the side of the hull. As I mentioned before, there aren't any fish do not enter signs under water. We have them back in long island sound and the whites are all over Mass. since the seals have made a comback. Kayakers getting bumped every year. Somebody will get bit. As for the girl on Vagabonde, no way is she crash jibing a 46 foot cat under full sail, turning around, finding her half submerged boyfriend, throwing both engines in full reverse, stopping on a dime, jumping in the water to grab Riley and swimming him back to the boat which is now sailing away still under full sail with the motors in neutral. As Dangerfield said in Back to School, How about Fantasy Land.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 17:38   #37

If it bothers you so much, don't watch the videos. I don't.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 17:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I'm not sure if it was Moitessier or Tristan Jones, but one of them tied themselves to a line to hammer some copper nails back in the bottom and looked over and a huge shark swam right up next to him.

That was Knox-Johnston again. He had to repair a leak in Suhaili whilst under way.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 20:20   #39

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
That was Knox-Johnston again. He had to repair a leak in Suhaili whilst under way.
I knew it was one of the gods lol. I think Tristan Jones got attacked by a Polar bear stuck in the ice, not a shark lol. Shot it with a flare gun if I remember. Tearing his boat apart trying to get to him inside. Also, the videos don't bother me, I enjoy them. I don't watch Vagabonde so much anymore since they became a show almost. Ran sailing is good, Old Sea Dog, Nanji, that guys a nut lol, Delos is the best I think. Sailing Galopin is good too. He was a producer and editor of some type for magazines and music, so he is an interesting guy and makes good videos.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I knew it was one of the gods lol. I think Tristan Jones got attacked by a Polar bear stuck in the ice, not a shark lol. Shot it with a flare gun if I remember. Tearing his boat apart trying to get to him inside. Also, the videos don't bother me, I enjoy them. I don't watch Vagabonde so much anymore since they became a show almost. Ran sailing is good, Old Sea Dog, Nanji, that guys a nut lol, Delos is the best I think. Sailing Galopin is good too. He was a producer and editor of some type for magazines and music, so he is an interesting guy and makes good videos.

I think Jones would have caught the shark and sold it at a profit, while Moitessier would have befriended the shark and persuaded it to repair the boat for him.
I've read all their books; more than once, in some cases. I tend to think that videos would have been less interesting.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 07:52   #41

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
This is true for Great White sharks. Mostly. A very hungry Great White will settle for just about anything (anyone?).

All bets are off when you look at species like Tigers and Bull sharks. Their menu is much broader.
I fail to see the difference for some reason between a great white biting my leg off and swallowing it vs spitting it out cos " they don't eat humans"
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 09:36   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I fail to see the difference for some reason between a great white biting my leg off and swallowing it vs spitting it out cos " they don't eat humans"
By spitting out, you would have a fighting chance of surviving the ordeal and live to tell the tale. Else the shark would just thrash about, tear you to pieces, and eat piece by piece.
seidulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 09:51   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: YouTube sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
If your in a wet suit it'll spit your leg out for sure.. they're not into single use plastics..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 11:38   #44

I have had at times all 3 Kids out the back getting dragged on calm days for a cool down. We watch out of course.
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 12:04   #45

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidulas View Post
By spitting out, you would have a fighting chance of surviving the ordeal and live to tell the tale. Else the shark would just thrash about, tear you to pieces, and eat piece by piece.
What utter utter rubbish. Having personally witnessed the results of a shark attack while surfing I can tell you if you lose your leg to a great white away from immediate emergency response like on a sail boat you are dead pure and simple.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about but then people like you that want to split hairs about what motivates a big fish never do in my ecperience. Sigh.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing