Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 06:43   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilott View Post
A well-told story, with excellent writing - thanks
thank you - glad you enjoyed reading ti

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:46   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCharles View Post
Thank you, CarstenB! My wife and I enjoyed the personal account and the vlog! We just bought our first boat and you show us the possibilities are limitless! Sailing is a true labor of love...
thank you for the kind words - there are lots more entries on our website - so if you are bore and can't sleep - the blogs will put you out in a minute or so

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 06-08-2020, 06:48   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslokid View Post
Thank you both for posting excellent videos and commentary. A real warning for neophytes like me. Your water maker quit (nice job btw, worthy of a superman costume), possibly running out of fuel, bilge pump, packing gland. Oh, and making pizza under way. Impressive.
Anyway, if you come down to San Francisco, I'm buying you some Negra Modelos. Don't hesitate to PM me.
Andreas
That's a great offer - I might just take you up on that! I don't buy Negra Modelos very often - because I drink them right away. Vinni, my much better half, won't let me because if we have them on board - I'll drink them all.

I have the backbone of a worm when it comes to rationing Negra Modelos.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:22   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Really enjoyed that. I did the same passage 4 years ago (Hanalei bay to Port Angeles) - the Pacific high was funny that year, we got stuck in it 3 times. My experience was the same as yours, once you cross the high, it starts getting cold and overcast, then had the same high winds for 18 hours or so. We made it in 21 days which we thought was pretty good. It really is something to be on that passage and then come into the straight with the Olympic Mountains looming over you, isn't it?
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:26   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Really enjoyed that. I did the same passage 4 years ago (Hanalei bay to Port Angeles) - the Pacific high was funny that year, we got stuck in it 3 times. My experience was the same as yours, once you cross the high, it starts getting cold and overcast, then had the same high winds for 18 hours or so. We made it in 21 days which we thought was pretty good. It really is something to be on that passage and then come into the straight with the Olympic Mountains looming over you, isn't it?
Landfall after a long passage is always an intense experience. Since we were virtually out of diesel we very much wanted to see land..................

Old 06-08-2020, 15:27   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks for a good enjoyable read.
Have fun in the PNW.
Old 06-08-2020, 16:05   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One place you can get Negra Modelo is Los Compadres restaurant in Hayward. If they're still open, Ignacio is running the place with his sister, and on weekends they have wonderful carnitas. ....and of course, many other things. Don't know how far you're planning to wander, but one of our favorite spots.

If you do go touring, you gotta see the Rocky Mountains, they are a huge geological feature, running from up inside Canada quite a way, about 3/4 the way to Mexico. The Cascade range, much closer to you, finally peters out at Mt. Shasta, in Calif.

Sorry it's Covid times when you got to the States. Normally, they/we are quite friendly.

Ann
Old 06-08-2020, 22:40   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47
Smile Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Carsten and Vinni,

Really enjoyed your story. Your writing is both succinct and poetic and very enjoyable to read! I read several of your other blog posts including the story about NYC/ Hudson. I grew up sailing on Long I Sound and have been around NYC and up the Hudson many times. Look forward to reading more of your adventures and if you find yourselves in Southern California, please PM me!

Safe travels and all the best to you!
Regards,
Jess
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:37   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor279 View Post
Carsten and Vinni,

Really enjoyed your story. Your writing is both succinct and poetic and very enjoyable to read! I read several of your other blog posts including the story about NYC/ Hudson. I grew up sailing on Long I Sound and have been around NYC and up the Hudson many times. Look forward to reading more of your adventures and if you find yourselves in Southern California, please PM me!

Safe travels and all the best to you!
Regards,
Jess
hi Jess,

thanks for the nice review. WE will get to southern cal. but not until next late summer/fall

carsten

Tags
hawaii, washing, Washington