Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2010, 20:56   #76

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you will need that main to battle upwind over the next week as the N/NE strengthens and the swell builds. I was talking to a few guys at a dock in Newcastle this morning who had pulled in after it got a bit rough out there last night. They had been heading north into the weather. Luckily the NE did back off a bit around mid night and there was a bit of east in the wind this morning. Regardless, it is strengthening this moment from the NE.

If it makes you feel better to date I have seen more than the odd fractured aluminium boom from uncontrolled jibs. Makes me wonder how my wooden boom and fittings have lasted so long.

If circumstances bring you to port, feel free to drop by!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rgg.png
Views:	112
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	21377  
Old 22-11-2010, 03:42   #77
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
Dennisail you make it all sound so entertaining, except I know you're not only endangering your lives, but those that will be sent to rescue you. My first piece of advice was "know the boat." Obviously you do not, and seem to lack prudence. What were you doing in Eden while waiting for your part? With a boat showing weaknesses, maybe you should have been taking everything apart and examining all the bits. Then sailing her conservatively.
You know what. I agree 100%. Its not my boat. I would never have even tried this trip without testing it first. I was assured it was all seaworthy after expressing my concerns. I didn't even want to do the trip until it was tested. I should have walked away. But since my mate would have just gone anyway at least it will be safer for him and my brother with me there to help. I feel quite uncomfortable really to keep going, but without the extra help they things can only be worse of for them.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 03:57   #78
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you will need that main to battle upwind over the next week as the N/NE strengthens and the swell builds. I was talking to a few guys at a dock in Newcastle this morning who had pulled in after it got a bit rough out there last night. They had been heading north into the weather. Luckily the NE did back off a bit around mid night and there was a bit of east in the wind this morning. Regardless, it is strengthening this moment from the NE.

If it makes you feel better to date I have seen more than the odd fractured aluminium boom from uncontrolled jibs. Makes me wonder how my wooden boom and fittings have lasted so long.

If circumstances bring you to port, feel free to drop by!
Looks bad mate. I'm arguing right now about it.
Old 22-11-2010, 14:31   #79

I sailed back from Yeppon to Brisbane predominately against SE winds then did Tweed to Newcastle into a lot of south westerlies. Shows that it can be done. Your boat would point better into the wind than mine.

It just gets a bit hairy when the seas start breaking. I was really glad a few weeks back I was heading south at night on a black NE. A heap of boats the same time in the Gosford to Lord Howe race retired. The swell has only marginally increased today, but I am sure the seas will get nastier as the NE intensifies this arvo.

You could always safely inch your way up the coast by heading out early morning when the wind and seas abate and finding a port before dark? At least you will make some progress before the more favourable conditions late weekend? Then heading into the wind like that with the main pulled tight there isn’t much chance of anymore uncontrolled jibes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IDG00074.gif
Views:	102
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	21407  
Old 23-11-2010, 10:31   #80
cruiser

Cheers Shane. The fact we made it from Adelaide to Newcastle with head winds and no motor for about 2/3 of the ways shows it can be done too Just came into the port now, its 0530. Took us about 19 hours as expected with the head winds. We left earlier than we wanted from Sydney to get here before the 30K winds blow up by midday. We are heading to that free pontoon just around the bend on your side of the river. I'll give you a call mate.
Old 23-11-2010, 13:02   #81

Boat: samson c-shell
have been reading your adventure with interest.am leaving sydney next tuesday for new zealand then hobart ,portland and back to sydney so will be crossing your track some of the way.good on you for getting out there and doing it.
you are boating as we did 25 years agoe,forcast were from the wireless for that day only ,we did not have motors or gps and god forbid no epirb.if somthing broke you fixed it.good luck and have fun.
Old 23-11-2010, 16:11   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah
If you're going to go, find where the current is running the strongest and avoid it. The East Aussie current can flow up to 4 knots, it'll be where the water temp is hottest.
Look here
LordHoweS/
and here
SNSW/

As you see you'll be getting into the faster flows from now on. Close inshore is always the best, find the counter current and enjoy a lift.
Cheers
Old 23-11-2010, 21:57   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4900bruce View Post
have been reading your adventure with interest.am leaving sydney next tuesday for new zealand then hobart ,portland and back to sydney so will be crossing your track some of the way.good on you for getting out there and doing it.
you are boating as we did 25 years agoe,forcast were from the wireless for that day only ,we did not have motors or gps and god forbid no epirb.if somthing broke you fixed it.good luck and have fun.
Yeah mate I don't see the big deal with going with no main engine. As you said that is how it was done years ago anyway, and back then many boats would not even sail to windward! But we still have the tender which is good enough to push the boat when it is calm. When it is not calm the wind will push us. We sailed all the way into our pontoon this morning without even using the tender.

We do have a GPS though, and we have power with a petrol generator and 17amp charger.

Anyway, it was finally decided that its not a good idea to set off into near gale force headwinds. Which is why we are now waiting at Newcastle. We are fitting an outboard bracket for the small motor which will be easier to handle than using the whole tender.

I would have liked to continue the trip from here back since we came so far already, but I have to be at work. My leave will be over by this weekend. And due to the winds not allowing us to leave for a day or 2, there won't by any guarantee to me getting back to work on time.

Wes will continue on his own or with any possible other crew members.
Old 23-11-2010, 22:01   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
If you're going to go, find where the current is running the strongest and avoid it. The East Aussie current can flow up to 4 knots, it'll be where the water temp is hottest.
Look here
LordHoweS/
and here
SNSW/

As you see you'll be getting into the faster flows from now on. Close inshore is always the best, find the counter current and enjoy a lift.
Cheers
Thanks for that. I will let Wes know the link.
Old 24-11-2010, 12:56   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah
Dennisail

PM us a when back in Adelaide and we'll raise a glass to cheer your adventures. We're high and dry at the GIYC, at least for another week. Painting etc. Or drop in at the squadron next Friday night where we'll be showing a film on circumnavigating Australia.
Old 25-11-2010, 12:45   #86
cruiser

Thanks for the offer but we wont be back in Adelaide any time soon. The whole point was to get the boat back to Brisbane where it will stay as we live in Brisbane. But if you are ever up this way let me know

Big thanks to SurferShane for helping us out, lending his shower and driving us around. Good fun to get around on your H28 with a few beers.

I'm sitting at home now. Sadly I have to go back to work so had to leave at Newcastle. My brother came back with me. Wes has found a German Backpacker finish the last bit off.

I have sailed from Lake Mac to Brisbane before, so now i can say I have done Adelaide to Brisbane, which is a pretty decent bit of experience. I think I am ready to do an international crossing now, but I wont be doing it on an unfamiliar boat with questionable seaworthiness.
Old 25-11-2010, 13:29   #87

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Big thanks to SurferShane for helping us out, lending his shower and driving us around. Good fun to get around on your H28 with a few beers.
No problems – it was a pleasure to meet you guys and hopefully we might get to catch up again. In the meantime, all the best planning that international voyage.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:41   #88

I forgot to mention that the weather down here this morning is pleasant. Just a light e/ne wind, little sea and not much swell. Wes should be up past Broughton and Seals enjoying the day. Looks too like a bit more east in the wind next week.

It was pretty funny also to have you guy’s drop in and tell me how you had a similar average experience with the pit bull terror Dockmaster at the yacht club. And they wonder why some people avoid the port? Well I really hope this visit was a lot better.
Old 25-11-2010, 18:37   #89
cruiser

Might take the Girlfriends Kerr 31 to Noumea. But not before we do a week or so ocean cruise with some rough weather to test a few things out that wouldn't be stressed in the bay. Wes would come in Limelight after we fix all the probs at his leisure back in Brisbane. They are past Broughton Island by now trying for a run straight to Coffs so they can replaced the 3.5hp on the bracket we installed with a 15 long shaft. The 3.5 lasted about 5 min before it went under and conked out still in the river! So sailing it is to coffs.

We met the pitbull last time in the Piver, so we avoided that place and knew to go straight to the free pontoon at Stockton. Good place to stay a night or 2 if you don't need power. We even got in just with 1.8M draft.

Tags
brisbane