Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 15:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
Anchoring Along the California Coast

I m new to anchoring (as in leaving the boat and going ashore) and have been searching the web for information on anchoring rules and the like but really haven't found too much (accept for one site that had a list of free anchorages, but the author kept getting his boat impounded, and I'd rather avoid that)
Are there rules for where, how long, leaving/not leaving the boat unattended?
when I read about people cruising they seem to anchor and then go into town sometimes for all day some times several days.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 16:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Secure anchorages are relatively rare north of Pt Conception. I would check the Coast Pilot first. There are also books on cruising the California waters.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/cpdownload.htm

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:22   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Post #15 on this thread gives a pretty comprehensive review of the different anchorages available in Southern California. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ages-4934.html You should also look for Brian Fagan's book Amazon.com: The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California: Golden Gate to Ensenada, Mexico, Including the Offshore Islands (0639785801825): Brian Fagan: Books: Reviews, Prices & more It is an excellent resource.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
Thanks, I will be getting a copy of the book. Great link to that tread as well.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:16   #5

+1 for Fagan's book. Hands down the best book for anyone sailing the California coast.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tanton 43
I live in Morro Bay, which has the best anchorage between Pt Conception and San Francisco. Last I checked you need to check in with Harbor Patrol (VHF Ch 12&16) and pay $15 /day to anchor in Morro Bay and can stay a max of 30days, after that you'd need to find a mooring or dock space.

I agree 100% with suggesting Fagan's book. Your other option is just google each port's harbor department then call and ask. Morro Bay's number is (805) 772-6254.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
$15 a day/$450 a month to drop your anchor, WHAT A RIPOFF!!!!!! Way more than I pay for a slip with all the amenities including security. Morro Bay ought to be ashamed.

George Benson has a self published book that covers anchorages from SF to the Straights of Juan De Fuca. Cruising the Northwest Coast by George Benson. The copyright has been transfered to JoAnne Benson and don't see any info. where to get the book. Can't remember how I got a copy a couple years back. George sailed a much modified Coronado 25 gunk holing up and down the coast from SF to Puget Sound. Covers more than 60 anchorages along the coast with information about transportation and any amenities available. Many of the anchorages are bights in the coast protected from the prevailing NW winds. Suitable for overnight stays but not secure if the wind shfts. A very handy book for someone making the trip north because it reveals anchorages that make easy daylight legs up and down the coast possible.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:09   #8

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"
Re: Anchoring Along the California Coast

Rebel Heart, your video is blocked by EMI over copyright issue. Perhaps you used music? If so, perhaps if you removed it, the video would play.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:29   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Most coastal anchorages along the Californias (including Baja California) provide shelter from the prevailing northwesterlies. However, when the wind turns southerly they become treacherous places to anchor. These are not the type of anchorages where you drop the hook and then leave the boat on its own for a few days. You might get away with that inside some of our bays, but certainly not in most coastal anchorages.
Old 24-10-2011, 09:14   #10

Boat: Columbia 34 MKII

George Benson's book Cruising the Northwest Coast is available for $23 from georgebenson.us.

No PayPal, just checks or money orders.

Rich
Celtic_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:41   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

morro bay, catalina, dana point, then san diego to muni docks for permission to anchor in sd bay--
santa barbara has an anchorage--but is a bit tough..dont forget is a lee shore--santa barbara is protected by point conception from north and nw only.
go to catalina from there as no anchorages until catalina. none in lost angels either. dana point--- go to south entrance to police docks and see what is available for transients. i believe, as i recall, was closed after 1800....i know san diego is closed at police station docks after 1700. no anchoring in sd without permit, 270dollar ticket is a lot of money to have to waste. may the gods of anchoring in no anchor land be with you and yours. smooth sailing.
ther is also no anchoring in ensenada except for during the newport to ensenada race week. must use marinas. sad and sick, but true.

some of these new laws i cannot see being in any cruising books as yet, as are within 5 years in their enforcement and books need 5 yrs or more for publishing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, california