Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 16:23   #16

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Did you ever notice in the Pardey's books how many times they accepted tows from their fellow sailors who did have motors?

We try to avoid marinas, but occasionally (as today) when we want to make use of one. Very few are laid out so that sailing any substantial vessel in or out is feasible

For the OP, you say that "the engine must go" if you are to go cruising... I say why?

Enough ranting... cheers to all

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone, Qld, Oz
Jim i always appreciate your perspective since you have been out there a while, thanks, i will touch all those points now...

i am 24, ive been sailing since i was 10, i cut my teeth racing opti's for years and then lasers, i was always at the top of my class, and won many a regatta (got a rack of trophies to prove it) because i knew how to use the current to my advantage, just some innate ability i suppose. i have been working on (rebuilding) boats since i was 14 and when i finally set off on my allied seawind i will have done 100% of everything myself... i am confident in my boat and my abilities, hopefully not overly so...

now why the engine must go.

for me, cruising is not a 2 or 3 year vacation and then i return to the real world, cruising is going to be my life, at least for the next 10-20 years. open ended passage making is the goal, i would like to see the world on my own terms, and spend as much time with as native a civilizations as possible, and learn what i can from them so i never have to return to this wretched cluster**** we call society

motoring down the ICW is not my idea of cruising...

now not being on any real schedule, i am not so concerned about the doldrums, if im adrift for a week, so be it, wind will come eventually. my boat is 30' x 9.25', narrow and heavy, she is made to sail, and when there is wind she will, and when there isnt she wont.

removing the engine not only frees up space for more water tankage, there is also the increase in performance achieved with a true steamlined hull with no appendeges

i know how cheap i can live, and i will not leave until the boat is 100% (new standing and running rigging, new sails)
i finally realized that i can go allot cheaper and allot sooner if i simplify simplify simplify
plan is to sail around aimlessly and when i need some money stop somewhere and work with my requisite skills...
i could rebuild the engine and have all the requisite spares, or i could buy a new suit of sails (which i will need anyways before i go), ill go with the sails...

if i do have an engine i will hardly ever use it, then when i decide to use it because im too lazy to sail off of a lee shore, well surely the fuel filters will clog up and now im back where i started...

only time i ever plan to get near a dock is every few years for haul out...

makes sense to me, guess im feeling lucky, now remind me again why its not possible
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 16:44   #17

Sounds good really!

However do you plan to have a outboard for a dinghy?

If so, put a bracket on the back of the big boat too.

It's not going to be any good for rough water etc, but even a little 10hp will push a 30' boat along at a few knots in calm water.
Might come in very handy for those few times you want to get hauled out or move in a calm anchorage.

Alternately, a big sculling oar might do the same trick!
handmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 16:58   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
a tow through the panama canal is quite expensive as well,though there is allways cape horn,magellan straits is probably not an option with out an engine
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:04   #19

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
In that situation I would consider an electric. (hear me out I know this has been debated many times in other threads). But in a situation where you plan to rarely use the engine. I presume you have a means to charge the house bank. Adding a few more batteries to that bank,(or doubling), adding a motor controller, and an outboard sized motor, (torquido sized or equivilent). Since you use the house bank anyway the batteries will get used in rotation. The wind/solar charging will keep the batteries topoff'd. The electric motor will get you off of a pinch in the tight channel. Or several hours, (minutes), of motoring a day, followed by several hours, (days), or charging. Its better than engineless. The electric motor will not be subject to fuel, or oil issues if left set for long periods. The batteries, and charging circuits will be used anyway. The spare parts list is , set of bearings, and spare brushes, fuses, (spare controller). The motor is small and light. And if you dont use it, you have plenty of extra electricity for those midnight movies.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:07   #20

handmer - i will have an engine for the dink but it will be 3hp max maybe 5 as the dink is a 7' x 4' lapstrake rowing shell, and will be rowed 90% of the time

atoll - not planning any canals, looking foward to the capes though, like i said, south pacific is the goal, just not sure how i will go yet, i will leave from florida, i am thinking bahamams -> Caribbean -> ride the east coast of brazil south -> point her east to south africa -> reunion island -> Mauritius -> Chagos -> Maldives -> sumatra -> indo, bali -> Aus -> newzealand -> sopac!!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 17:14   #21

capn bill - i had my heart set on an electric inboard but just cant justify the expense and complication for such little use... im getting reallly itchy to get out there
Old 04-11-2010, 17:32   #22

Boat: a sailing boat
If the pass is wide enough, you can tack in too.

Go to Pardey's books - they too gave up on engines.

In any case, if you think atolls seriously, then think engine seriously too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:45   #23

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I would however, first try to perfect the skill of quickly getting out of the way of a fast moving freighter when there is no wind to drive the boat. This would concern me more than a few bumps and scrapes in close manourvers.

Greg
There ya go.

The safety for your hard earned property and your loved ones aboard is very much worth having a motor alone.

BUT, then again he may be solo, I say good for him and his style of living.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 19:15   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
handmer - i will have an engine for the dink but it will be 3hp max maybe 5 as the dink is a 7' x 4' lapstrake rowing shell, and will be rowed 90% of the time

atoll - not planning any canals, looking foward to the capes though, like i said, south pacific is the goal, just not sure how i will go yet, i will leave from florida, i am thinking bahamams -> Caribbean -> ride the east coast of brazil south -> point her east to south africa -> reunion island -> Mauritius -> Chagos -> Maldives -> sumatra -> indo, bali -> Aus -> newzealand -> sopac!!!!
may have some problems getting east with that route,would be better from east coast of usa to head for the azores i n may,then cape verdes,then s brazil,find the westerlies then head for cape town by november december, piss around durban richards bay till april,end of cyclone season,then head north mozambique,comores,mada,seyshelles and in june,july catch the nw monsoon,chagos ,indo malaysia, thailand chill for a year then catch the next monsoon to solomons then s to bundaberg queensland aus,pay the quarentine,taxes,expensive aussie stuff and wonder why you left asia and the s pacific,instead of carrying on to vanuatu ,then nz
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 20:41   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
There have been a few boats around here without motors. I've read about some that used a sweep (or a skull) when becalmed. They also had good rowboats. If you are in waters like these much though, being motorless is pretty limiting. I moor in a bay that is off a passage where the current can really run. If I need to pass through with the ebb it means I go against the current into the bay. Where the opposing flows meat you get some great whirlpools! Of course you can always skip the places that are like that.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 20:47   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am not trying to be difficult, or change your mind. It seems to beset like a steel trap. Exactly what is your experience sailing? This answer will help a lot to see where you are coming from...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 20:51   #27

I would also like to see what your insurance provider would say.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 22:26   #28

Boat: Northstar 1000 1972 Hull #14 30' "Firebird"
My wife and I sail our 30 footer engineless. We have a 15' sculling our that will move the boat 1 1/2 to 2 kts in calm weather. Without the drag of a prop and the drifter out our 8000 lb boat will move in the slightest touch of a breeze. We also have a 4 hp outboard for the dink that when hip tied will push the boat at 5 kts plus in flat water. I'm still trying to figure out a good mounting system to attach the outboard to the mother ship. The wind vane is kinda in the way but I'm getting closer. I think it would be nice on some days to motor out or in to a closed bay or marina. We have managed to sail or scull into many places people said was imposable, and motors are just not as reliable as made out to be. The added storage space is incredible. I'd say leave with the price of a motor in your pocket and bring a large oar!
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 23:55   #29

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Yuloh??

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 23:56   #30

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Hey I just noticed senior cruiser under my name, what's with that? I'm just a baby at 54.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote