Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 14:06   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcontxtxp
Exclamation Australia to Alaska

Dear Sea-mates:

I am in Auckland New Zealand and I am looking for a boat to crew with... I have good experience sailing because I lived for 22 year in Miami Beach USA making Key Biscayne and the Atlantic Ocean my playground sailing on a Colgate 26, power boating, fishing and diving. I also participated in few regattas in Key Biscayne competing in a small 4-crew sailing boat wining one competition “it was a stroke of luck :-)”

I NEED/WANT to live in a boat for the next year or two in order to acquire the experience necessary to become a true sailor and be able to sail the world... I am ready to do ALL tasks from the smallest to the biggest including cleaning, maintenance, repairs, improvements and any boat duties to quickly learn and master all tasks needed for sailing.

Can you please extend me your hands?

I am well fit, well-mannered, extremely positive, easy going individual with a ken common sense; moreover I am a highly educated individual "as you can see by my attached resume" I fluently speak, write and read in Russian, Spanish, English and Portuguese with Basic in Italian and French. I am also a Pilot for single engine airplane, a NAUI Scuba Diver with Survival skills in the Forests, Deserts, Mountains and Waters.
I am Awaiting for your reply...

Respectfully yours,

Karlos Felizardo
Phone +64-027-922-21-29
E-mail Falcontxtxp@gmail.com
Skype Falcontxtxp
Gtalk Falcontxtxp

Ps NO big tattoos :-)
Falcontxtxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:20   #17
yap
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 421
Re: Australia to Alaska

And take a look at:

Boating to and in Japan.

Heaps to read and see.

Sayonara,
Yap ob Alishan, Taswell 43
Fukuoka, japan
yap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:21   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Any advice regarding visiting Japan? I have heard some horror stories resulting from a lack of understanding of customs and check-in. We also have been intrigued by the possibility of visiting China but that sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Having cruised Japan 3 different times I learned a few tricks in dealing with the formidable and ancient Japanese bureaucracy.
  1. First align yourself with a local yacht club where you will be making your first entry.
  2. Months before...write a very nice letter to the Commodore (translated to Japanese) about yourselves/your plans and excitement to cruise their country.
  3. Ask if they can recommend a young translator/student from the club, who would be interested in joining the yacht for the cruise thru Japan. (This is optional to actually do, but shows your commitment at this stage.
  4. Ask if your yacht would be welcome to berth temporarily once cleared of check in Formalities?
  5. Make sure you have a valid ‘De-Ratting Certificate with you as Quarantine always ask for it as some sort of Holy Grail for barbarians.
After arrived at club, you are basically counting on the yacht club directors and their incredible hospitality to help clear away the basic roadblock that:

While a foreign registered vessel can transit Japanese waters, they are limited to stopping at approved Import/Export Ports.

To overcome this, the yacht club will organize a meeting with Customs and Marine Department.
Be, quiet, patient and respectful as they discuss your risk factor.

Prepare beforehand a very detailed itinerary of your anchorages every night on the passage from South Japan till you depart foreign. Show specific anchor spots/ dates/ reasons and points of interest for shore side excursions.

What is then usually agreed upon by customs is that you follow this specifically and you make a commitment to call the closest customs office when you first go ashore in that region…. They will often visit and check your papers)

Of course your passage plan will change, but don’t say that as it is only a way to get Customs permission and freedom to stop in other places.

Starting with a local crew/interpreter is a good idea and pleases marine department… so seriously consider that for the beginning.

I know this sounds convoluted, but it is the Japanese way. Once accepted and trusted, the hospitality is 2nd to none.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:59   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

THANKS PELAGIC,

Still sounds difficult & I've visited there as the anointed Master Engineer & Project manager.

What is a De-Ratting certificate? Is it really what it sounds like? I don't believe my wife would let me hide a single one on board.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 20:06   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This explains it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_Sa...n_Certificate\

It is the SSCEC you want and is easy to get in Hong Kong.
Sometimes in communication the Japanese will call it ‘Mouse Stamp-out’… but that is what they are after
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 20:30   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This explains it

Sometimes in communication the Japanese will call it ‘Mouse Stamp-out’… but that is what they are after
http://www.who.int/ihr/training/ihr_...ports_list.pdf

I found this link to WHO can issue.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:23   #22

Boat: William Garden Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
And take a look at:

Boating to and in Japan.

Heaps to read and see.

Sayonara,
Yap ob Alishan, Taswell 43
Fukuoka, japan

Thanks Yap,

I have added the blog to my favorites. We keep hearing about you guys from other cruisers but seem to be a few steps behind you. We just hit another delay as I signed on as a skipper here on a charter sailing cat for one year. But it will give us beer money in Japan. So hopefully we will catch you in 2014.

Cheers

Mark and Pauline
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 15:26   #23

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This explains it

" Mouse stamp out " Love it !

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, Australia