Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 00:14   #1

Boat: Traditional 30
Bareboats Vietnam

Does anyone know of any bareboat charter Co's in Vietnam? I will be in Ho Chi Minh next week and will be continuing up to Hanoi. Halong bay sounds perfect to cruise ( even though I assume anchoring will be tricky) . But other areas may be attractive too.

I did a forum search and found a post from 08 saying there wasnt then. But fours years have past and Asia moves quickly. Any info greatly appreciated.

Oh.. only thinking of a 32 footer.. No gold plated taps required. thanks
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 00:57   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Bareboats Vietnam

No such thing that I am aware of as we are all foreign spies.

Lodo from the dive shop has or had a crewed F24 sailing in Hoi An
VIETNAM SAILING
occasionalally it was in Nha Trang and there was a I think an Athena 38 sailing in Nha Trang with some affiliation with Saigon Yacht Club
Old 06-06-2012, 18:01   #3

Sunsail used to have a base in Vietnam with bareboat charters. Not sure if they are still around. They opened in 2006.

They were based out of Nha Trang at the "sailing club". You could contact them and ask: Sailing Club Nha Trang

Or maybe call Sunsail and ask.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 18:41   #4

thanks for that feedback guys.. I had a look at sunsail. No drop down box for Vietnam any more it seems ;-( Might check out the yacht clubs on the way up the coast and try and grab a ride for race here or there
Old 11-06-2012, 15:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
thanks for that feedback guys.. I had a look at sunsail. No drop down box for Vietnam any more it seems ;-( Might check out the yacht clubs on the way up the coast and try and grab a ride for race here or there
Definitely nothing at Nha Trang anymore

Dont be fooled by the Name "Yacht Club" or "sailing club" as in Nha Trang sailing club, there are no marinas and yachts as such, cruisers are not allowed in Viet waters yet.

Maybe if you could get to (map >> Sihanoukville (Cambodia-Viet border near Phu Quoc Island)
Sailing Cambodia in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
Old 11-06-2012, 15:56   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

there are no marinas and yachts as such, cruisers are not allowed in Viet waters yet.

[/url]
Cruising World magazine had an article by cruisers who visited Vung Tau, Vietnam and enjoyed it. I believe it was in the Jan 2010 issue. The article discussed visa issues, but I don't recall the details.
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 16:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1340 View Post
Cruising World magazine had an article by cruisers who visited Vung Tau, Vietnam and enjoyed it. I believe it was in the Jan 2010 issue. The article discussed visa issues, but I don't recall the details.
Jan 2008
If you revisit the story you may see it is somewhat different to your recollection
Vietnam Revisited | Cruising World

You are treated as a commercial vessel, not allowed to cruise and from recent enquiries I made, you will be made to take on a pilot and pay associated fees just like a commercial ship and forced to stay at the commercial ship docking area.
When you leave port you must have departure and destination "Commercial" port listed, no stopping and no deviation from route for sightseeing is allowed.

Vietnam itself is a fantastic destination, by plane.
Old 11-06-2012, 16:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Definitely nothing at Nha Trang anymore

Dont be fooled by the Name "Yacht Club" or "sailing club" as in Nha Trang sailing club, there are no marinas and yachts as such, cruisers are not allowed in Viet waters yet.

Maybe if you could get to (map >> Sihanoukville (Cambodia-Viet border near Phu Quoc Island)
Sailing Cambodia in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
Thanks .. Yeh we are going to Cambo and Laos (as well as thailand again-sigh) . Just had wanted to sail in Vietnam is all. No real reason other than my brain wanting the challenge of Halong Bay primarily.

I have this "thing" where I must sail on every holiday at some point. Even if its just an off the beach cat in Fiji to a 15ft Dinghy on Lake Lucerne or teaching a skipperless crew on a Sonata ( not the same as the aussie sontatas) on Honkas harbour. Its my OCD kicking in you could say.

We have 6 weeks to find something with rags and a stick., It will be easy in Thailand of course. But have done a little off the beach stuff there and am hoping to raise the stakes somewhat.

Thanks for the link. Not overly keen skippered charters. But at a pinch it might just be the "hit" i need.
Old 29-06-2012, 04:51   #9

Well, catman. I am sitting in a hotel room in Hanoi atm. Fwiw I just spent the last 24 hours on Halong bay. Not one sailboat out there. Hundreds of white junks doing the tourist thing. 300 with accom and 200 without. Its such a beautiful place. Sadly, no charter at all, as you had mentioned. But magnificent all the same.. Thanks again for your input.

Tags
Vietnam