Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2009, 12:30   #106

Boat: Cooper 416
Hi all Redcoat here.We have 5 boats hole up in Newport Or.We are right behind you Tuesday.Hope all is well.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 13:57   #107

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Kind of thought we had gotten just ahead of you guys,winds have been extreme off Cape Blanco since thursday.No one in their right mind would be out there,even today it still blows 30 "knuts".Gale flags have been reduced to single small craft warning flag this morning,although still almost gale conditions.We and Mariposa hope to depart for S.F. tomorrow.If in Port Orford be sure to get to Cafe Pacifico for excellent fish tacos, really nice here and everyone is very friendly.Be sure to visit the coast guard museum.See Fred for fuel,before noon.Not a single fish boat has left the harbor yet.Got some maintenance done and eager to move on.Glad to hear all are safe.;Geoff
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 14:04   #108

Being from Canada,and checking in at Port Angeles,I don't think waiting on Vanc.Is. is really an option.I'm sure customs would have something to say about that.
Old 17-08-2009, 20:42   #109

Tonight we are getting hammered by 40 "knut" winds,at anchor!Starting to look like not going anywhere for another day or two.Hope the 50lb.Manson plow,and connections are up to the task.Last night it did this all night,but stronger tonight.
Old 17-08-2009, 21:14   #110

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Sounds like a sunny day at 'The Spit', you'll be all good!!
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 21:30   #111

Clearing in...

You know, it's possible to clear in in ports south of Port Angeles, too. But no worries. I plan to clear in Radio Bay or SF, depending on weather when I make my coastal passage.

40 kts at anchor = long night/little sleep. Been there, done that. I strongly encourage not leaving immediately after a night like that, but wait until you've got a good sleep. I made several navigation errors after a night like that.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 14:29   #112

We survived the harrowing winds and seas between Cape Mendocino and Pt. Arena.Surfing at over 11 knots under double reefed main,24 hrs. of hand steering,a true night of HELL!Small craft warning my ass,gale conditions throughout.No damage,electronics saved our asses.Not something I would like to repeat anytime soon.3 days and 2 nights between Port Orford and Drakes Bay,many whales sighted approaching Drakes.Now sitting in the Aquatic Park S.F. ;Time for a rest.
Old 22-08-2009, 14:34   #113

Boat: Cooper 416
Glad you lived. I have just made Port Charleston Or.And most everybody that was at Newport Or are still there.Just shitty.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 14:35   #114

Congrats Highseas! You've survived gale alley in Aug.

Keep up with the reports! those of us looking forward to/dreading a PNW winter are very interested to hear what you're up to, and what your experiences are.

Old 22-08-2009, 14:41   #115

Ideally we should have left P.O. the day before, even though it was still 30 knuts off Cape Blanco,but to the south conditions were better(at the time)Timing is so crucial.Others I have spoken with are not very impressed with the noaa forecasts.Forecast was small craft warning 15to 25 kn.(with hazardous seas added),we experienced much stonger winds almost right to Bodega Bay area.Another southbound boat in the area decided to heave to.
Old 23-08-2009, 14:32   #116

Boat: Ericson 38-200
timing is everything

We left Newport on August 1st and our experience was quite different from Geoff's. We didn't hit much fog south of Coos Bay, but not much wind either. We stopped at Charleston, Brookings, Crescent City, Trinidad, Eureka, Shelter Cove, Noyo River, Fish Rock, Bodega, and Drake's Bay, before sailing under the Golden Gate yesterday.
We waited 4 days at Eureka for a weather window before rounding Cape Mendocino, and waited another 6 days at Noyo River for a gale to blow over before rounding Pt Arena. Both stops were among our favorites along the coast -- good marina facilities, friendly locals, and plenty of sightseeing opportunities.
Met Verdia for the first time as we entered Drake's, and passed Mariposa as we were leaving the next morning. Geoff described some of his experiences in the gale and we were glad we had been luckier with the weather.
Hope all other southbounders enjoy safe passages, and hope to meet up with some of you along the way!
Mark & Vicki
Old 30-08-2009, 09:01   #117

The rest has turned into an extended layover in San Francisco.Boat has worked out very well,apart from having to rebuild transmission for 2nd. time in less than 300 hrs.Luckily the ZF 5M got us into port before it gave up the forward gear.Before we left B.C. on a local cruise,I accidentally damaged new transmission by unknowingly anchoring in some tall (15ft.+)and rather strong grass(Buccaneer Bay,near beach).Tide went down,wind came up,decided to reanchor.Start engine, put in gear;big mistake,grass wrapped around prop. and shaft bringing it to dead stop,(should have winched boat over anchor to raise).Thinking at first I was touching keel on bottom,as boat wouldn't move,gave it more throttle,nasty sound coming from within,tried reverse,same sound but then boat was free.Noise never recurred again, all the way down coast, but the damage was done.Within 15 to 20 seconds I had done some serious damage,(before I realized what was happening).In the back of my mind I knew what was ahead of me,another rebuild.Turns out forward gear was stripped,and clutches gone.Another 2 weeks and we will resume our trip to south,luckily we have time to spare,and S.F. isn't so bad.Learned my lesson.Stop by to say hello if you are near Pier 39 "A" dock.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:05   #118

Boat: c&c landfall 43
highseas and others heading south, we have arrived in san diego. it took us 20 days to harbor hop down the coast. you can check out the details on our web page svrockstar.com . I got some good video from the leg to san fran, we ended up leaving aug 9 from victoria when the conditions were not so favorable but it took us 7 days. I had a very experienced crew, some of which have done the trip before and I decided it was a perfect time to test the boat and myself in all conditions. never would have thought I would be putting a third reef in the main with the stay sail and before dark having to drop the main altogether. all in all it was a good test. jeff
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 18:12   #119

:grin: Well, from some of what I've heard you're now past the worst weather belt for circumnavigators from BC! Several I've spoken to said the leg down the coast was the hardest weather and coastal piloting they had in their entire voyage.

Congratulations on the accomplishment! Looking forward to hearing how the fall migration gathering in SD works out too. Keep us updated!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:09   #120

Had enough of the dock life!,time to get moving.Reinstalling my rebuilt transmission today,and will resume southward trek towards Santa Barbara ,on Sunday.

Tags
baja