Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 03:17   #1

Bombing in Hilongos Leyte

Happened on the 28th, and its already in Wikipedia. A route to Siargao I was planning would have had us moored there our 2nd or third night out. Now I'm afraid to go near the area - G2L

2016 Hilongos bombings

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
2016 Hilongos bombings Part of the Moro conflict Location Hilongos, Leyte, Philippines Date 000000002016-12-28-0000December 28, 2016
21:00 (PST) Weapons Improvised explosive device Non-fatal injuries
35 Suspected perpetrators
Maute Group The 2016 Hilongos bombings occurred on December 28, 2016, at 9:00 p.m. (UTC +8)[1] at a town plaza in Hilongos, Leyte, near the town hall.[2] Prior to the explosion, a boxing event during the town's festival was in progress.[1] According to several reports, two improvised explosive devices (IEDs) exploded during the match. The first explosion happened somewhere near a tent before the announcement of the winner of the match.[3] After few seconds, another IED was exploded.[3] One of the explosions was reportedly near a water pump at Rizal Plaza.[4]
According to Leyte Governor Dominic Petilla, in a Philippine Daily Inquirer report, 27 people were confirmed injured,[1] mostly crowdgoers who watched the boxing match.[5] Two people were in critical condition.[1] The victims were brought to the Hilongos District Hospital and the Seventh Day Adventist Hospital to be given medical treatment.[2]
Perpetrators[edit]

No individual or group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.[6] President Rodrigo Duterte said on the same day of the blast, that the explosion was caused by rival drug syndicates involved in a turf war adding that Moros were also among the perpetrators. Duterte also stated that the attack could not be done by the New People's Army which had a ceasefire with the government at that time and reasoned that the communist group "has no record of throwing grenades at innocent people".[7]The Armed Forces of the Philippines later said in December 29, that the bombing in Leyte was made by the Maute Group.[8]
It was speculated that the bombings were a retaliation to the arrest of an alleged drug trafficker and financier of the Maute Group in a drug bust operation conducted in the same town about two months earlier, on October 22, 2016.[9]
Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa, also stated in December 29, that the bombs had "signature of the BIFF".
See also[edit]

References[edit]

1. ^ Jump up to: a b c d Gabieta, Joey A. (December 28, 2016). "27 hurt in Leyte town plaza blast". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Archived from the original on December 28, 2016. Retrieved December 29, 2016. Twenty-seven people were hurt in an explosion in the town plaza of Hilongos, Leyte, past 9 p.m. on Wednesday. Initial reports received by the Leyte governor said a boxing event was in progress as part of the town’s fiesta celebration when something exploded. The report received by Leyte Gov. Dominico Petilla showed that at least 35 were injured — two were in critical condition — during the bombing at Rizal Plaza in the town proper. Petilla’s office is still trying to verify reports that at least 10 people were killed.
  2. ^ Jump up to: a b Sallada, Lottie (December 29, 2016). "Dozens hurt in suspected IED blast in Hilongos, Leyte town feast". Interaksyon. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
  3. ^ Jump up to: a b "27 reported hurt in Leyte plaza blast". Rappler. December 29, 2016. Retrieved December 29, 2016. Visayas State University student Ritchmon Relente, who took the photograph posted in this story, said the explosion occurred near the tent right before the announcement of the winners of the boxing match. He said a second blast occurred seconds later.
  4. Jump up ^ CNN (December 29, 2016). "Town fiesta blast injures at least 23 in Leyte". Archived from the original on December 28, 2016. Meanwhile, Hilongos Mayor Alberto Villahermosa said the IED was left near a water pump at the Rizal Plaza where the boxing match was being held.
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 03:24   #2

PS - Re: Bombing in Hilongos Leyte

A few days ago, we did another road trip from Cebu to Samar and back. Of course, we had to cross the Camote Sea twice, and on the way back I was able to get up on the bridge and talk to the ferry captain who was actually from Zamboanga, as were most of the ship's officers. I first learned about the bombings from him, and he warned me about "going south", saying, "they always know when there is a foreigner around".

Kind of chilling, actually; so I wanted to get folks' reactions to all this. Open CPN has "Piracy Warnings" that come up on object queries along the west coast of Leyte. Odd, because I haven't seen them anywhere else on the Open CPN chart of the Philippines.

Also, the authorities are saying that the bombing seems to be the work of the Maute group and/or BIFF. Both are MNLF splinter groups and Maute is known for kidnapping. Any ideas/conerns about any of the above?

Thanks,

G2L
Old 01-01-2017, 01:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: Bombing in Hilongos Leyte

An exit from the Philippines North of Samar is the obvious other possible choice. It will provide a heading of 120 degrees to Palau versus a 106 degree heading from Surigao passage.

I would not so ready discount leaving via the Surigao passage over this incident.

Yes stay away from the power line between Bucas and middle Bucas islands, however, that is simply logical and I don't know why boaters were there in the past.

I will admit I am nervous too passing through the area, however, other than the power incident have heard of no problems for sailors going through the area.

Anyone?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
An exit from the Philippines North of Samar is the obvious other possible choice. It will provide a heading of 120 degrees to Palau versus a 106 degree heading from Surigao passage.

I would not so ready discount leaving via the Surigao passage over this incident.

Yes stay away from the power line between Bucas and middle Bucas islands, however, that is simply logical and I don't know why boaters were there in the past.

I will admit I am nervous too passing through the area, however, other than the power incident have heard of no problems for sailors going through the area.

Anyone?
Not thinking of leaving the country, but of spending some time down on Siargao, Dinagat, Bucas Grande. Would you avoid the area entirely at this point in time? What about anchoring for any length of time around Surigao City?
Old 01-01-2017, 22:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I read Wikipedia page for Surigao City and see about 1 million tourists have visited in past 5 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surigao_City

I read no reports of trouble. The standard rules apply. The farther and longer you stay in remote areas the more likely there could be a problem. Personally, I would feel comfortable in these areas when staying no more than a single night at each stop. The exception being Surigao City where I would think a full week near the big port would be fine. Longer may be fine too but you run out of things to do in town.

Avoid power lines near Bucas, consult Noonsite for that report.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:09   #6

Anchoring in Sogod, Dinagat, etc. - Re: Bombing in Hilongos Leyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I read Wikipedia page for Surigao City and see about 1 million tourists have visited in past 5 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surigao_City

I read no reports of trouble. The standard rules apply. The farther and longer you stay in remote areas the more likely there could be a problem. Personally, I would feel comfortable in these areas when staying no more than a single night at each stop. The exception being Surigao City where I would think a full week near the big port would be fine. Longer may be fine too but you run out of things to do in town.

Avoid power lines near Bucas, consult Noonsite for that report.

Thanks for your input. I wouldn't be stopping more than a day or two in a single spot on the way down, but I was thinking of anchoring for a number of months in the Lagoon at General Luna, Siargao, or perhaps around the other side, south of Del Carmen. I would think that GL would be pretty safe for a long stay. What do you think?

Also, the following is a bit off topic, but I was wondering if you have ever anchored in Sogod Leyte or in Dinagat, and how secure these places would be in a typhoon or serious storm. I agree with what you say about out-running a storm v. anchoring, and if I were in those places, I would probably head over to Carmen and tie up there.

However, I would still like to pick your brain as these spots seem to be the most secure in the area, and, in a pinch they would be a lot better than the lagoon at General Luna.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

G2L