Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 13:48   #1
Ry.

Question Bora Bora ?

I am new to sailing and don't even have a boat yet, so I don't know much on the subject. I am usually a caribbean person, but I am wondering if I could anchor somewhere in Bora Bora (or a similar island) for decent rates. Long term is preferred, but if not,then its fine. I am on a pretty tight budget, but am willing to save a little more if I have to. I speak a lot of french, so that is no issue. Is it prohibited to anchor there? Is this unrealistic? Any advise is great.
Ry. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
French Polynesia, of which Bora Bora is a part, requires that you post a significant cash bond (guaranteeing your departure) for cruisers.

See ➥ http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/plann...quirements.asp

There are several anchorages in different areas of Bora Bora lagoon, and Vaitape town is interesting and boast many good restaurants and boutiques.

See also ➥ http://www.usac.com/trips/tahiti.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:01   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Depends on your passport how long you can stay. Non Eu will be a max of 3 months. No charge to anchor but anything you buy will be expensive. Lots of boats during season but not any just hanging out. You would be better of at other islands in FP where you can partially live of the land and sea.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 15:30   #4

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. You will also need lots of anchor scope as most spots are in the 80 feet range. Was fortunate to be able to spend a month anchored on the east side before they closed it off when we visited French Polynesia. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 15:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
eu citizens dont need to post a bond these days,riatea and tahaa also have some great places to hang out on anchor.

papete nr to the airport is very popular free anc,lots of cruisers.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 16:27   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We anchored for free in Bora Bora. People who stay longer sometimes have their yacht hauled out at the Raitea Carenage for the duration of hurricane season, and then they cruise French Polynesia once again during the next season.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 08:02   #7

I did exactly what Maxout mentioned above. And on my second time there I went through the process of getting my 6 month extended visa to stay longer. Ended up leaving FP early just cause it was eating into my money so fast.

And yes, you can certainly anchor for free in Bora Bora depending on how fast your dinghy is and how far you want to be from the store. The east side will always be one of my favorite anchorages from 4 years of cruising.

In general though, Bora Bora is NOT the place to hang out if you're on a budget.
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 14:23   #8
Ry.

And another question. How long does it usually take to get there on a boat that is less than 35 ft, leaving from panama?
Old 16-01-2011, 14:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
panama-marquesas 30-35 days marquesas- tahiti 6- 8 days tahiti-bora bora 2 days
faster or slower dopending on weather,35 footer ave 100-120 miles a day.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 14:53   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
We did not find it expensive and we did not find the depths as mentioned above.

Anchored in 3 to 6 meters depths S and E of the island. We survived on baguettes, butter and rice. They are probably still subsidized by their God Bless Republic.

That was 2004, perhaps it is more expensive now or it has gotten deeper due to the greenhouse effect.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 15:04   #11
Ry.

Thank you everybody for making my first thread on this website a productive one. I found every bit of info I need and am very pleased. If you have any tips on the trip, it would be nice, but for now, I am satisfied with the info posted so far.
Old 16-01-2011, 16:41   #12

Time no issue.

Anything between something like 4 weeks and eternity.

Tips - err towards the eternity.

b.
Old 16-01-2011, 17:31   #13
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
I think the bond requirement is a discretionary on the part of immigration in French Polynesia, from our own perspective, we've never been hit with it, but every time we visit, it's always the same immigration and customs inspectors that meet us, and know us by name. I have heard of people being whacked with some pretty big bond requirements.

As for trying to do French Polynesia on a budget, seriously don't try, nothing out there is cheap, if you want to do this on a budget you might be better off looking at the cook islands. Or perhaps even sailing on to New Zealand, and using that as a base, there's more boat yards in NZ than you can poke a stick at.
Port facilities in Bora Bora are really pretty limited. however this link might help a little: Bora Bora Yacht Club
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 05:22   #14

discretionary and expensive?

Well,

I do not know what is meant by discretionary - the bond is there for all yanks, I think Canadians, Ozzies and Kiwis too. I have never met a EU boat asked for the bond. The situation was clear cut when we visited. Local authorities may be lenient in the offshore areas but do not expect not being requested to pay the bond on the basis that the officer knows you by name. Not in Tahiti, and not in Bora Bora. If you are likely to be asked to pay it, be ready to pay it. You will get it back anyway.

Prices. I feel nearly offended ;-) when I hear 'you can't do it on the budget'. Because we did, and it was NOT expensive. As I said above: the basics like rice, flour and butter were cheap and we did very well eating simple and enjoying the gorgeous views and lagoons. If you have to eat in restaurants and drink in bars (and cannot change a filter or a belt on your engine either) then probably you should not be out there but rather posting on a forum 'City Life, 9-17', etc.

French Polynesia can be done on a budget and in fact it is one of the best destinations to do so - anchorages are free, there are no cruising permits, no visa charges and the staple food is inexpensive. The bond is there but it is a bond and it is returned towards the end of the visit.

Cheers,
barnie
Old 17-01-2011, 05:45   #15
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
I guess this is the nice thing about forums, everyone has a different experience to share..
If we got hit for the bond, no problem, out comes the visa card or they can have travelers cheques.
As for food, I'm surprised to hear you found staple foods out there cheap, every time we've been to anywhere in French Polynesia, it's been at least double what we pay on the Australian mainland.
While anchorages are free for the most part, if you have an issue with your boat and need professional assistance, again it's 2x what I pay in Brisbane, even in Brisbane it aint cheap.
Also Ry, was asking about long term anchorage, since most anchorages are weather affected, it would be pretty hard to leave a boat in one sport for a long duration, esp during storm season.
It can be done on a budget I agree, but that would be for someone just passing through over the short term.
The one really nice thing about anywhere in French Polynesia, I feel safe to just let my kids wonder where ever they choose, there aren't many places in the world I would just allow them to do that.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bora bora