Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 11:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Can you import a marine diesel engine into Mexico without duties

Many countries have a "yacht-in-transit" process which greatly reduces or eliminates import duty on boat parts but you better be "in-transit" if you hang around for a year or two they not be so obliging.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 11:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Many countries have a "yacht-in-transit" process which greatly reduces or eliminates import duty on boat parts but you better be "in-transit" if you hang around for a year or two they not be so obliging.

He’s in Mexico. Mexico does not recognize “yacht in transit.”
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 12:17   #18

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Thanks for all the Advice.

Bahia Conception is my abode for the next couple of days. I know of Terry in La Paz, his yard is a awash with Sailboat engines. In fact he has an older MD17c ready to go.

Although Terry does not agree it is almost impossible to find new parts. I have made the decision to replace the engine, not because I am rich, not because of a whim, but because I am sick of the stress of listening to the bloody thing waiting for it to break again. I have reached the point that spending more money on it seems like a fools game.

So Sorry kids bang goes your inheritance, but it will keep me out of your basement suites for another 10 years.

As to buying in the States or Canada it is significantly more expensive. I would buy in Mexico but same same story. So I am being a businessman and doing whats best for me. Nothing Nationalistic just spending my few dollars to my advantage.

As to why Beta. 3 out of the 4 boats I have talked to who had recently repowered choose Beta. Also threads on this and other forums score Beta Hi. The costs in Canada and the States made it out of my price range. The other boat used Volvo and did the paper trail and repowered in Panama.

So I will seek an agent and see if it is financial possible. But my old Volvo is not long for this world.
Old 14-01-2019, 12:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherlour View Post
I do not sure where you are located. Major ports in Mexico would have commercial shipping agents used by large ships. Goggle says the term in Spanish is Agente Maritimo Naval. They normally speak English and would know about tariff free shipping for ship parts. Your boat's status in Mexico might affect the tax. Also there are marine repair shops that might shed some light on the process. Good luck.
I plan to sail over and see if I can find one of these gents in Guaymas or San Carlos. That is the term I need.

As to the process of doing the job I replaced a Volvo engine before in a remote village of the North Coast of BC. So am aware of the fun this can be. Yip new prop for sure, I have a flex I fold prop so yip new prop. Anyone with a old Volvo and wants a great folding prop do I have a deal for you http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lies/smile.gif
Old 14-01-2019, 12:46   #20

Have you considered going to Puerto Penasco? Never been there, but seems like delivery would be much easier.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 12:52   #21

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Good luck on the repower job, NP.

I replaced my MD17 recently and considered Beta but went with a Vetus.

Either way there is plenty of work involved. Getting the engine bed correct is probably the most challenging part of the job. The MD17 engine rear engine mounts are lower than the front and both are much wider than new engines. Plenty of thought needs to go into the new mount design to end up with the right down-angle and a good alignment.

If Beta sell an engine mount template for the model you want, it would be a wise investment.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:08   #22

Beta Quoted me price to La Paz via Veracruise with insurance. I have just got an email saying that's they have a name of an agent they use.

I hope to be able to get them to ship to Guaymas as it is much cheaper to store the boat over the summer.
Old 14-01-2019, 13:26   #23

"agente de aduana," "agencia aduanal" or "agentes aduanales" are the titles you are more likely to encounter. Being closer to a major container terminal like Guaymas would mean lower delivery cost from the warehouse to your boat.
stevenhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
Good luck on the repower job, NP.

I replaced my MD17 recently and considered Beta but went with a Vetus.

Either way there is plenty of work involved. Getting the engine bed correct is probably the most challenging part of the job. The MD17 engine rear engine mounts are lower than the front and both are much wider than new engines. Plenty of thought needs to go into the new mount design to end up with the right down-angle and a good alignment.

If Beta sell an engine mount template for the model you want, it would be a wise investment.
In the past I have managed without. This time 25 years on maybe I should invest in their kit. 375 pounds but comes with special feet and stuff.
Old 14-01-2019, 13:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenhigbee View Post
"agente de aduana," "agencia aduanal" or "agentes aduanales" are the titles you are more likely to encounter. Being closer to a major container terminal like Guaymas would mean lower delivery cost from the warehouse to your boat.
Cheers

The quote also included delivery to me in la Paz
Old 14-01-2019, 14:15   #26

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Friend just repowered with a Beta and she LOVES the engine. Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 19:59   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

It’s a pity you have such a poor opinion of USA. I keep my trimaran at Marinateca in San Carlos year round. When I drove down in November I entered through Nogales. They never even looked for one second what was on the back of my truck. I have a flatbed dually. You could pay some poor slob American to haul it down to San Carlos for peanuts. But that would involve trusting an American an you know how dicey that can be.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 20:46   #28

Boat: Westsail 32

In the BVI I'd regularly order some parts from the USA. The first line of my address was YACHT IN TRANSIT SV SEA BREEZE. When the parts arrived and I picked them up, the shipper always charged the 15%(?) Customs duty, simply because he was not in a position to make a judgment about what's dutiable and what's not.

Then I would take the empty package and receipts in to BVI Customs, explain the situation and they always refunded the 15% duty.

Accordingly, I'd recommend you go talk to the shipper and to Mexican Customs now with a view to following this procedure.

BVI Customs was very easy to deal with. Incidentally, I'm Canadian too.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 01:00   #29

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hi everybody,
If your SY is in Mexico under "TIP" rules, you have to export the old engine. Stop at the border, go to the border officier when you go out of Mexico, he will come to see the old engine. They will fill up a form that give you the right to come back with the new one, within one month, whitout paying any taxes. When you come in, show the form at the border office. This is the same procedure for all parts you change on your boat, like for exemple batteries.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 13:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdS2 Roland View Post
Hi everybody,
If your SY is in Mexico under "TIP" rules, you have to export the old engine. Stop at the border, go to the border officier when you go out of Mexico, he will come to see the old engine. They will fill up a form that give you the right to come back with the new one, within one month, whitout paying any taxes. When you come in, show the form at the border office. This is the same procedure for all parts you change on your boat, like for exemple batteries.
O that makes sense but is bad news. LOL

Do you know the rates that will be charged on an engine coming from overseas?
I am trying to find an import agent in Guaymas as we speak.

Tags
diesel, engine, import, marine, Mexico