Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2010, 15:08   #1

Boat: Cal 43 Summer Wind
Canadian Gulf Islands

Wow - quite a bit of consternation about the Naniamo anchoring fees. We've been planning to visit the Gulf Islands this coming season. Anybody have other thoughts or recommendations about the area?
Cal 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 17:16   #2
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Don't worry about all the fuss. Come on up and enjoy some of the worlds finest scenery and boating. I anchored at New Castle island twice this past summer with no issues what so ever and besides Nanaimo is only one of about a million spots up here.
Old 24-01-2010, 19:15   #3

Get a Dreamspeaker Guide to the Gulf Islands. It is a great place to sail /relax /eat / whatever.

The main issues are tides and currents. The passes should be taken at the turns.

What kind of recommendations are you looking for?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 19:21   #4

Boat: Hunter 26
The last time I was there

Summer before last - yea it was crowded. You just squeeze in and convince your neighbors you will not collide. It's obvious what are the visitors and what are the boats in question, and I'm sure no one will confuse you for a liveaboard there. We actually enjoyed seeing the creativity at which some people employed in there "homes". The island is a great place to walk about. It's an easy dingy ride across to town (watch for the sea planes). And then there is always the Nanaimo Bars to consume.
Channel any concerns to navigating Dodd Narrows if you haven't experienced reversing rapids -
(it's all about timing).
MABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 19:35   #5

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
there are soo many great places to anchor out in the gulf islands conover cove on wallace island, pirates cove, thetis, montegue , ganges, the list goes on and on. with all these great places to stay i wouldnt even worry about newcastle or nanaimo's crap.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 19:47   #6

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
We just loved Saltspring Island
Old 25-01-2010, 17:39   #7
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Sindey (ok not technically the Gulf Islands but close enough), Bedwell on S. Pender, Ganges on Saltspring, Motague on Galiano, Pirates Cove on DeCourcy, Telegraph Harbour on Thetis, Chemanis on Vancouver Island, and those are just some of the popular spots and you have not even made it as far north as Nanaimo yet. There is as much or as little as you want to do and excellent access to fuel, water and services.
As mentioned earlier watch your charts and tide tables. No uncharted reefs but several unmarked ones. Active, Gabriola and Poilier Passes and Dodds Narrows are listed in the current tables. They can run at 7 + knots so your timing has to be right or things will get intense.
Old 26-01-2010, 13:48   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
As far as I know there is nowhere in BC charging for anchoring less than 14 days in a harbor and only a few places (Vancouver and Nanaimo as far as I know) even have 14 day restrictions. Most anchorages, I think I can even say all outside of urban centers, are free and unlimited.

So...if you are visiting, this is unlikely to be a problem?
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote