Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Checking in to Mexico - bring produce?

We'll be checking into Ensenada from San Diego in about 11 days. A neighbor told us that if our boat is boarded by Mexican Coast Guard they throw away all fresh provisions. Ugh.

Should we provision in Mexico instead? Or is this a rare occurrence and (probably) worth the risk to provision in San Diego in advance?
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Checking in to Mexico - bring produce?

Different coast, but when we cleared in they told us to either consume on board our diminishing fresh vegetables or to dispose of them in a double bagged container. But we had been a week at sea and only had a few onions, garlic and one or two bell peppers left.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:04   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

I do not think you have to worry about it, but I have not been there in about four years and so maybe someone with more recent experience will write.

We were boarded in Mexico, but I believe it's very rare: none of my friends there ever mentioned being boarded. Our experience was while sailing through those little islands off Ixtapa at sunrise, some well armed dudes in uniform came up in an inflatable, one of them hopped onboard to take a quick look below in each cabin, and then they left. It took about five minutes, and it was not at the USCG level of detail where they were looking to enforce minor rules. I can't even remember if they looked at our paperwork.

Oh, if you haven't done your temporary import permit thing already: remember to bring your engine's serial number with you to the port captains office. I didn't, and so just played stupid and gave them the engine's model number, but still -- until I left Mexico a few years later I always wondered if that would ever turn into a problem.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:14   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you can only get tip in mexico. you can only get visas in mexico. is easiest to obtain mexican liability in mexico.
if you check into mexico in ensenada, that is the easiest place to get it done. everything in one building. get your conapesca fishing license in san diego--on 5th ...555. if not there, then you cannot fish until you have one in hand. nearest place=ensenada. they WILL board for fishing.
there have not been too many boardings of late---when we were boarded by mexican navy, we had only to have license for fishing.
if you are boarded by mexican customs, it will b e probably in mazatlan--i have yet to be boarded by any mexican official.
i have lived here in mexico now for a year and a half. i was 8 months in mazatlan, and i have been here in banderas bay since feb.
some folks were boarded by aduana after they checked into mazatlan, but that is rare.
when i was in ensenada i was not boarded , either. others were.
i have yet to hear of a cruising sailboat being boarded in pacific ocean while underway, or when not anchored at los coronados.

brand new tip for getting fm3----is most simple and swift here in nuevo vallarta office--brand new office--pictures and copies done just across hallway--bank on ground floor same building----make sure that you apply sometime within the last 30 days of your turistica visa. same with tip--within first 6 months of your stay. does not need to be done on initial check into mexico..
liability insurance in ensenada before or during check in--they allow for that.
the bank is in the port cpt office building. so is aduana and conapesca.

i was not asked for my engine serial number. i was not asked for serial numbers on my computers--just how many do i have on board. i gave model numbers, and i gave quantity owned. i didnt get my tip until i got my fm3. that is not uncommon. i got tip in mazatlan. was easy .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:19   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Red, I can't help with the current Mexican practices, for it has been decades since we last did that! However, after reading the above suggestion about engine s/n's, here's a suggestion for Mexico and all the other countries that you may check into:

Make up and maintain a data base with the name, type, model number and serial number of everything of value on the boat. Print out a few copies of the list, and take them with you when clearing in. Many countries want this info to be filled out on entry forms, and obviously, it is a big PITA to have to do it over and over again. Will save you a lot of time!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-10-2012, 14:30   #6

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Make up and maintain a data base with the name, type, model number and serial number of everything of value on the boat. Print out a few copies of the list, and take them with you when clearing in. Many countries want this info to be filled out on entry forms, and obviously, it is a big PITA to have to do it over and over again. Will save you a lot of time!
That's much better than my practice of just making up random numbers and hoping no one ever checked.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:42   #7

Thanks for all the advice. I'd never heard of anyone having to throw away all their produce and I'd rather buy it here where I know where to get everything (being 6 months pregnant, the thought of hunting through Ensenada for the produce I want does NOT appeal to me.)

I think we're just going to risk it and provision here in San Diego. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2012, 14:04   #8

new rules in effect nov 9th. no changes until then. after then, yes to being boarded and other new concerns.
Old 10-10-2012, 14:10   #9

Zeehag, do you mean up until Nov 9th, we are okay, or now we aren't. Sorry, not clear from your message. Also, is there a link to look at these new rules? Thank you!
Old 10-10-2012, 14:17   #10

red--i started a new thread with the article i copied from latitude 38lectronic--is from richard schindler, and yes, you are ok now..up until nov 9th we are allowed to check into mexico using the old rules. nov 9th they change, seemingly drastically. i have yet to read new rules--thank heavens i am already here....
did you see the info regarding tip and fm3?? i think i posted it in this thread for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 14:19   #11

You rock. Just saw your new thread. And thanks also for the info on tip and fm3!
Old 10-10-2012, 14:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
You rock. Just saw your new thread. And thanks also for the info on tip and fm3!
check your pms, there is more there for ye....
Old 10-10-2012, 14:48   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Wow! you guys have a bunch more troubles out there on the West Coast, then we do here on the east coast of Mexico! all we need is a Zarpe, and ck in at first place we get to in Mexico! Most of us use Isla M. Never been cked for any food types ! We get our Mexico fishing Lic as we ck in ! Never been boarded, in fact never had a problem of any sort cruiseing Mexico !! What NEW stuff are you speaking of Zee??
Old 10-10-2012, 15:48   #14

bobnconnie-this new change is supposed to involve entire mexico, even east coast. federal government want to make the procedure same in every port. this has been in the works for years, and nov 9th is actually being initiated.
the new visas are also a part of this. fmm is a multi visit visa, which is good for those planning on making trips to and from home during the time in mexico. tourist is a one time use. leave, get new.
fm3, fm2 and work permits are also being made easier to obtain. in nuevo vallarta, is all in same building--imigracion, bank, and pictures and copies. very easy.
Old 10-10-2012, 16:06   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'd never heard of anyone having to throw away all their produce and I'd rather buy it here where I know where to get everything (being 6 months pregnant, the thought of hunting through Ensenada for the produce I want does NOT appeal to me.)

I think we're just going to risk it and provision here in San Diego. Thank you!
They have grocery stores,Walmarts,Costcos in Mexico and theres a good chance most tomatos,corn,grapes etc came from Mex in USA stores at that time of year ,either way you will be ok..good luck..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico